“Good Dinner!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #78 of 219 Restaurants in Toms River
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A great rest. with waiting lines every night. Been there for years.
colonia
“Good Dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

After reading other reviews I almost cancelled my reservations at Rivolis. I am so glad we kept them! The portions were huge and none of us could finish our meals. Everything was very tasty from the bread, salad, entrees and desserts. Our waitress was very friendly and was very attentive to our needs. The place was packed and people were lined up waiting to get in when we left, we never felt rushed to finish. I would definitely go back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Apalachin, New York
“Poor Service, Below Average Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Went to the shore for a long fall weekend with another family, five of us total. Went to Rivolis because the young ladies (13 and 14) we were with wanted to go here because of the Jersey Shore show. We waited about 20 minutes after calling ahead for reservations. Then our waitress was just plain rude. When the 13 year old asked if she could there was a dinner with raviolis and gnocchi both on the plate, the waitress first corrected the 13 year old who said "yonocchi" (PS that's the way it is pronounced in our Little Italy restaurants in our area by Italian's). The waitress said "It's nochy and you can have one or the other, I come back because you can't seem to make up your mind." Before anyone could react, the waitress was gone even though she had taken three other orders (she never even asked the 14 year old). We had a little discussion on the pronunciation of Gnocchi and decided to stick with the yonocchi. When the waitress came back the 13 year old stated she wanted the yoncchi and the waitress stated "it's nochy". The 13 year old stated "we call it yoncchi" and the waitress stated "you're wrong it's nochy". At that point I stated "You know what the order is, so why don't you do your job and take the order". The waitress stated "fine" and started to leave when I said "you haven't taken everyone's order, she (the other young lady) hasn't ordered yet and the waitress stated "I have the four order's" and I stated "Good but there are five of us" and then she stated "OK, what do you want?"

This whole process took about 1/2 hour and as our waitress walked away she stated to another waitress "And you wonder why I don't want to be here".

When we got our meal I had a pasta that was overdone, soggy and the sauce was like a watered down Ragu, very little flavor, but I come from an area with a lot of Italian restaurants and I may be spoiled by the local sauces, or the much better ones I have had in NYC.

You do get a lot, I would guess the was at least a pound on my plate. Most of it goes to waste as tourists we couldn't take it "home". Also the prices are very high for mediocre food.

We ate at one other Italian place in Toms River(rated #1 on Tripadvisor for Toms River) and the food and service was much, much better.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
PPB
“No tourist but resident”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Rivoli’s Sampler: Outstanding and the size could be a meal in itself.

Tomato Brochette: Fresh made to order, no mush o this bread.

Seafood Fra Diablo :Combination of shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels and calamari sautéed in our spicy fra Diablo sauce and served over linguine.
They will heat it to your taste, which mine is spicy.

Attitude: If you never been to Brooklyn, you do not know.

Your girl/guy: Better have the shore thang going on it simply fits.

Appetite bring it and prepare to bring grandma home leftovers.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aberdeen NJ
“Revolting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Well let me start with this. I had to park illegally on the sidewalk across the street. Anyway came here with my girlfriend before a evening at the shore. We called ahead for a reservation but sat and waited a good 15 minutes as people just walking in were seated before us? I became annoyed and spoke to the hostess who sat us promptly in the back about 5 feet from the bathrooms. Well anyway I normally would have walked out but we are not from the area and we were starving so we decided to just take it in stride. We had a couple of appetizers that were subpar at best for the main course I ordered the Sicilian Baked Penne Meatballs, sausage, pepperoni and chicken tossed with penne pasta in a marinara sauce with ricotta and mozzarella cheese then baked in the oven and my GF the balsamic chicken. My dish came out with about a pound of Penne and the meat was not whole meatballs, chicken and sausage it was all chopped up and thrown into the pasta and over sauced is not the word. Horrible. My GF's chicken was room temp. and not very flavorful either tasted like chicken thrown in a pan with half a bottle of balsamic vinegar on it. I guess this is what the call Italian food down in Toms River! I would have enjoyed a couple of Sausage sandwiches from the Boardwalk better than this dump. Trust me I know good Italian food coming from growing up in a Italian household in the Bronx this place is a definite no go! I would never return even if the food was free. Also if the owners are reading this it's called reservation for a reason. Maybe because my GF is Spanish we were given the cold shoulder. Anyway keep serving up the locals bottom of the line cuisine they seem to enjoy it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, New Jersey
“Bring your appetite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Rivolis gives you a ton of food, so expect to have dinner for the next day. Décor is nice, and its BYOB. Lobster Bisque was amazing !!

• Visited August 2013