“Average Hotel, Should be Less Expensive” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Toms River
Pine Brook, New Jersey
“Average Hotel, Should be Less Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hotel was average. No more; no less. Acceptably clean - again. Average. Small hotel - only three floors with limited vending - just snacks on second floor, snacks and beverages on third floor. Decent complimentary breakfast served from 6-10AM. The pool was tiny and there was a hot tub, but I didn't use either one. Staff was not so knowledgeable about how to use the HVAC unit in the room but they were friendly. We stayed in a king room and we thought the bed was comfortable. Overall, average stay. I booked through Expedia and paid about $145 including taxes and such. I think this is worth $79-$99 a night. It was sort of like a newer motel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Booked a non smoking room for 2 nights. Paid over $300.00 for the room. We walk out the elevator and the whole 2nd floor stinks of smoke. Same goes for our room, which someone had tried to cover up by spraying industrial amounts of air freshener which just made the smell worse. I was with a large group, some of whom had the same complaint. Put our things away, go to get into bed and both comforters have cigarette burns in them. Go to the bathroom to wash up before bed, grab a towel to find dirty brown stains all over it. Chair in the room was also covered in stains. Please see pictures (if they have been uploaded correctly). Told staff about the problem who apologized but the hotel was fully booked so no more rooms available.

Checked out and made it clear we had nothing to do with the smoke smell or the burns or stains. Contact the Hotel to see about some sort of compensation for such a poor experience after paying over $300 for 2 nights. The GM is not interested and says she has no control over people smoking in the rooms. Describes those who do it as "animals". Finally after much back and forth between the hotel and Choice Hotels customer service, the GM offers me a $40.00 refund or 25% off my next stay. I am not a NJ resident and have no plans to go back to Toms River, and if I did I certainly would not stay at the Comfort Inn. A $40.00 refund on a $300.00 stay is IMO a complete insult. I paid for a non smoking, clean room and I got the complete opposite. I refused the offer out of hand and was told to deal with Choice Hotels customer service who now tell me it is a "legal" matter because I complained of a "chemical" odor in the room, so they cannot do anything about it and I will have to deal with the hotel management who have stated the 25% off next stay or $40.00 refund is there final offer. This hotel, its management and choice hotels as a whole is a complete joke. I have never received such poor customer service or general service in my life. Honestly do yourself a favor and avoid this SCAM of a hotel at all costs. You will be thankful you did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I checked in last Saturday night at 10PM with two little girls. Since it was a first floor room off the parking lot, I wanted to make sure the window was locked. It was not, so I tried to lock. Nothing would work so I called the front desk. They said there was no one who could help me. I asked for maintenance, I was told he was unavailable because he lived too far away. Then I asked for manager and was told by the two teenage girls at the front desk that they couldn't help me and the manager wasn;t there or could not be contacted. Since it was a sliding window, I asked for a broom handle to hopefully block the window. This did not work. At this point, my girls were crying so I said we were leaving and was told I wouldn't be charged. Of course, they charged me and now, Patricia Brecka, is harassing me with emails because I contacted Choice Hotels customer service. This is not a hotel I would ever stay in again.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn up the street
Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Patricia B, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you very much for leaving your comments on trip advisor. We are so sorry that you had a terrifying experience with us. My rule of thumb still stands that my front desk staff not enter occupied rooms. It is nothing personal but a safety issue for all involved.
Tarpon Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel large rooms very clean no microwaves but they have one in the breakfast room nice indoor pool the only thing poll closes at 9pm. We went at 8.30 and it was closed overall nice hotel with hot breakfast

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write such a nice review for us.
We all work very hard to please our guests. Unfortunately some of our guest rooms face the pool so we must set a standard reasonable time for all involved.
Bloomfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I recently stayed in comfort inn, the staff was great, they called me when my room was ready since i tried to check in early but they were fully booked. That was nice. The food is what the comfort inn hotels always have, egg, sausages and waffles.

Breakfast lady was great person to have during the mornings.

Its not to far from the shore and parking is ample. See you soon!

Room Tip: just get the top floors and youre good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review for us. We always strive for perfection to make our guests happy.
New Market, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have come to expect comfort from Comfort Inn and this property was no exception. We were especially impressed by how clean it was for being so close to the beach. The beds were very comfortable, rooms clean, and staff very helpful. The only disappointing feature was that the heated indoor pool and spa closed very early, 9 pm. We would have liked to take advantage of the facility after a long day traveling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I were displaced by the storm Sandy. We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Toms River for a month. It felt like a home away from home. First of all, the manager Pat and her staff showed a real concern for our well being. The hotel was clean, the maid service efficient and the breakfast was quite substantial. The location was ideal to get to places of business. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to respond with such kind comments. It was amazing and heartfelt to see how everyone pulled together during and after this disaster. We here put our hearts into everything we do and are grateful to see how much our efforts are appreciated.

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!