“Find somewhere else to stay” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 10 hotels in Toms River
Toms River
“Find somewhere else to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our room was supposed to be nonsmoking but it reeked of smoke. Additionally, there was a big tear in the comforter and the side chair was filthy and stained. The carpet was dirty and after five minutes in the room, my wife and I both had headaches. Spend a little more money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have never stayed in a comfort inn before but from what I saw of the area this was the best one for this area. Upon arrival the place stunk of bleach/clorex. The hotel room was dusty and the carpet felt old, along with the furniture and very bouncy bed. It certainly wasn't worth the money. The TV movies didn't work, that bombed out and made it impossible to watch. The AC was either stone cold or switch it off and have heat, there was no control it was a big old unit, we had booked two rooms and the two were similar. The included breakfast was in a small room where tables were hard to come by with a notice saying don't take breakfast to the room, but what choice did most guests have when there are only a handful of tables? Tasteless breakfast with strange cereals, make your own pancakes which I can't comment on cos I didn't have them, yogurt and toast. There appeared to be more food being thrown away than consumed.

As for Seaside Heights and Toms River, I wouldn't go again it wasn't for me. Loud with funfairs everywhere would describe it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Amidst the most awful reviews I've ever seen for other hotels in this area (Toms River, Seaside, Forked River), this hotel was one of the very few with good reviews, but alas it was booked solid ... or so we thought.

In a move of desperation on the morning of the weekend we had to be in the area, we decided to call this particular hotel to see whether they could notify us if they got a cancellation during the day. But before doing that, the manager (Patricia) consulted with her desk clerk and came up with a room for us (a cancellation? I don't know, and we didn't ask!). We were just very, VERY, grateful.

Along with a very friendly and efficient front desk staff, we found our room to be clean and fresh, and everything worked well. In fact the whole hotel was clean and pleasant, as was the breakfast room the next morning too. Breakfast itself was adequate and pretty standard ... waffles, boiled eggs, yogurt, cereals, juices, etc. And the attention to cleanliness and restocking by the staff member on duty in the breakfast room was exceptional.

If you're reading this review and you are the type of person who thinks nothing about leaving their hotel room/s in a mess, with food trodden into the carpet, spilled drinks, trash everywhere, wet towels on the bed, etc. .... then please don't stay here. Leave this hotel to the customers who are looking for something without the problems that seem to plague a lot of the Seaside "establishments" across the bay. A hotel's ability to maintain the desired level of cleanliness it strove for when it first opened is very much dictated by the type of guests who populate it.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel is on busy Route 37, but most of them face the side. Further back is definit...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Tom's River NJ after hanging out in Seaside Heights one night. We checked in to room #213 in the early evening and ran across the street to get Italian hoagies at the Pizza joint(Brimstones) which was awesome. The hotel didn't have a menu for this place even though it's across the street. When we got to our room, the toilet didn't flush right and the shower curtain rod was broken. I was able to make due with the shower curtain rod and left a note that the toilet would need to be fixed as we left for the evening. When we got back, the toilet was not fixed. I am fairly handy and made it work, but it should have been looked at. The room was otherwise clean and very much a standard Comfort Inn room. The A/C worked great... the only other thing was that there was no duvet or bedspread or additional blanket available and my wife likes it a bit warmer than I need it to sleep comfortably so she was a bit cold. The indoor pool looked nice and the continental breakfast(w/waffles) was tasty. This hotel is 1mile from the bridge and it is easy to get into and out of Seaside from there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Freindly staff,great breakfast clean rooms would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cranston, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Have been to many Comfort properties, this was the only bad experience. Check In - clerk was trying to set a speed record for her rehearsed lines about breakfast, the pool, etc. We were only there as witnesses. Her co-worker just laughed when I commented that it was too fast to understand. Assigned the the 3rd floor, no smoking. The hall stunk with cigarette smoke. More about this later. The room was clean. The heater only had two working settings. Luckily my wife likes it very warm, so she was comfortable. One of the reasons we stayed here was internet access. My wife had stayed there the month before and had no problem. We both brought our laptops. The name of the server had changed as obviously the setup. My wife's computer would not connect nor would mine. I disabled my firewall thinking that might be the issue, but still no access. We could connect to the server, but no internet. Called desk when first discovered, I was informed that they would reboot and I should try later. No mention of calling us when it had rebooted. The second time we called we were told it was our computers and it had nothing to do with them and besides she had no clue about fixing the problem. The drain in the bathtub would not stay open, so you had to hold it open most of the time or the tub filled. We were there for two nights. There was no discount for the second night which is fine if we got the same service. Instead, the second night when I pulled down the covers the same blood spot that was there in the morning. (I have no idea if it was there originally or not.) The usual Comfort Inn breakfast mini-buffet was there. The 'warm' items were scrambled eggs and sausage patties which were served room temperature in an elaborate electric warmer which was either off or not working. It apparently is the normal state of things as I observed two separate guests come in, plate the eggs and sausage and immediately go to the microwave to heat. We did not go back day two. When it was time to leave we were told by the clerk that a) we had faulty computers b) the rear portion of the 3rd floor was smoking. I explained that it was our part of the hall the stunk. Apparently they do not stock air freshner, c) all the drains work and d) even paying full rate why would we think we would get clean sheets. I forgot to tell her about the breakfast food, but I am sure that was my fault also. Of course, there was no offer of refund or reduction or coupons or a paper clip as it was not their fault. I blame the management for not properly training their staff at this location. For the record, we checked in April 11 and checked out April 13. I will return to the Comfort chain, just not this motel.

Room Tip: go someplace else
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Patricia B, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Dear Sir,
Thank you for writing a review on trip advisor. I would like to address a few issues. Our third floor has 8 smoking rooms and the rest are non-smoking. There are times that we must assign guests to non smoking rooms on that floor as we have no other choice.
Our bedlinens are changed every 3rd day after spending 2 nights, regardless of what rate you pay.
Since our hotel is practically brand new we have all the up to date gadgets(I'm refering to the tub stopper) It's simply a push down and pop up mechanism.
As for the internet, the connection is checked daily as well as the management using the wi-fi on our cell phones. There are times that it is the fault of individual computers.
Hopefully I have explained to you about some of these issues and thank you again for writing.
Toms River
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very friendly staff Pat, Amanda, Ashley and Brielle They were very nice and friendly if you needed anything they were always there to help. They know how to do their jobs and are very well at it. The maids on the other hand if you asked for towels they would give you sheets and if you asked for sheets they would give you towels the only thing they understood was when you asked for toilet paper. The hotel has a nice indoor pool and hot tub. I love this hotel its the best in toms river.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!