“Don't trust the jacuzzi” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tinton Falls
New Jersey
“Don't trust the jacuzzi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Residence Inn at Tinton Falls, NJ for 2 nights in August 2007.

My husband and I tried the pool and hot spa. The pool was too cold so we enjoyed the hot spa instead. There was a noticeably strong chlorine smell coming from the spa, but we ignored it. Coming back to our room to change I immediately noticed that the area that the blue swimsuit was immersed was faded. It also reeked of a heavy chlorine smell. My husband went down with the swimsuit to the front desk to complain and we were told to talk with the general manager in the morning.

In talking with the manager directly, he said he would research it and get back to me. The manager seemed nice, interested and helpful. He mentioned that there is an insurance form that I could fill out if there is a problem. Later that night, there was a message on our hotel phone from the manager. He said, "I did some research. The chemicals we use in there usually does not fade stuff like that at the power that we have it to. Not sure what it might be."

I figured the manager was not going to help me and is not showing any responsibility for my damaged swimsuit, so I will contact the Marriott directly. I contacted Marriott and they said there was nothing they can do because they require that the hotel where a service issue occurred be given the responsibility for the resolution of that issue. So, if the manager says the jacuzzi was being operated according to specification, they support that decision.

The following day, my daughters tried the hot spa. They said it wasn't very warm. Wondering, did they change the water after I complained? Hmmmm... Other than the hot spa, our stay at the Residence Inn in Tinton Falls was very nice.

• Liked — Kitchen
  • Disliked — hot spa
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I am sitting at the desk in a studio suite here at the hotel. Interestingly enough, the pictures on the hotel website accurately reflect the room. The folks at the desk were very efficient and check in took very little time. The room is very clean and meets all of our needs. Ample storage so that you do not have to look at the empty suitcases and clothes can be put away in any of the three closets in the room. The bed was very comfortable with linens that were a step above the old hotel florals.

Unlike many residence type hotels at which I have stayed, this one had a kitchen that was fully equipped. All of the peices were there including cutlery and flatware.

I enjoyed the casual dinner of salad and hamburgers and hot dogs. This was minimalist fare but it meant I could have dinner and not leave the facility. This is included in the room rate Monday through Wednesday. For those of you used to the new huge bathrooms, this one may be a shocker, but in reality it is a pretty normal size for many families.

The only improvement that I would suggest is that it is time for new televisions. The one in this room was showing signs of being in the throes of death. They are too cheap now to have bad ones.

• Liked — The cleanliness and attention to detail
  • Disliked — the older television
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I travel extensively for business, I had a long term stay at this hotel. The rooms were dirty, linens were questionable, and the staff was beyond rude.
They charged my credit card instead of the company card causing my account to go into overdraft, I'm still waiting for the overdraft charge to be refunded, all this without an apology....

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

While for the most part I found the reviews posted here to be accurate, we did encounter a few problems. The breakfast was very good and the staff was pleasant, but we found the front desk staff to be a bit abrupt. Our room was clean, but I was a bit concerned about the cleanliness of the linens we used on the pull-out sofa. They appeared to be jammed in the plastic, zippered bag and left one wondering whether they had been laundered or not. While I didn't sense they had been used, we did go ahead and use them, but I did have to wonder why the sheets weren't stored in a tidier fashion. The pull-out sofa was a bit worn.

Also, we used the pool and the staff did not keep the poolside towels stocked. We used the pool as soon as it opened on one of the days and for the hour or so we stayed at the pool, no one came to bring any towels for the day.

The area with the toilet and shower, as another reviewer posted, was very, very tiny and difficult to dress in the small room. We were traveling with three teen-agers, so this was an often-heard complaint.

The kitchen was very functional and we actually ate dinner in our room during our stay. It was convenient having the full-size refrigerator for food storage.

There was a little league team staying and we actually enjoyed their company. The kids played with our youngest on the small-scale tennis court and it was a nice environment for our older kids to spread out and have space from one another.

We asked to delay check-out by one hour and they were able to honor our request. We did appreciate this courtesy.

• Liked — spaciousness and the morning breakfast buffer
  • Disliked — staff not paying attention to details
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

I have stayed at Residence Inns before and always had a good experience. This particular one has fallen from the usual standard that I have come to expect.

Pros: staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean. Bed was comfortable. It had a full kitchen.

Cons: The room was a lot smaller than other Residence Inns I have stayed in. The wall next to the shower had obvious water damage because the shower head had to positioned in a certain way that it wouldn't splash out. The bathroom fan was loud. The toilet had issues flushing.

If they fixed these problems, it would be a fine place to stay.

Stayed May 2008
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

This is the first time that I have written a hotel review and the reason why I feel compelled to doing so is because of the superlative service that I experienced during my stay. I arrived early in the morning on Friday and decided to phone the hotel in an effort to see if I could check in early. The front desk operator notified me that the hotel’s capacity was not full and that my request could be accommodated. During check-in, the hotel staff went ahead and upgraded my room to a more spacious suite. The suite’s beds, pillows, living space, and free Wi-Fi were all nice touches. As for location, the hotel is located within close proximity to eateries, main highways, etc. The only noticeable complaint involves the noise heard from upstairs foot traffic. That said, make sure to try to book an upstairs room so that room noise can be kept to a minimum. As for the free breakfast, the food selection was good and the breakfast preparers were extremely nice and attentive.
In the end, I would most definitely recommend Residence Inn by Marriott Tinton Falls to prospective travelers that are looking for a comfortable place to stay at a reasonable rate.

• Liked — Customer service
  • Disliked — noise experienced by upstairs foot traffic
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Spent three nights here en route from Washington to New York. We wanted a bit of peace and quiet between cities - and got it!

Having never stayed at one of these before, we didn't really know what to expect. What we got was one very large room with double bed, lounge area, and well equipped kitchen. The bathroom was also fine. There was also a very cheap laundry, with three washers and four dryers.

We expected to be self-catering - but breakfast was available every morning, and during the week the hotel lays on food in the evening (although get there early!). All this was included in the price. There is also a diner round the corner, where we ate on the first night (arriving early evening on a Sunday).

There seemed to be a lot of families staying - yet most of the time, the pool was surprisingly quiet.

The coast is very accessible from here - we had a car, so can't comment on what this would be like by public transport (I suspect, quite difficult). The best place we found was Long Branch, which fortunately was the nearest of the resorts (about 15 minutes' drive).

The hotel seems to have sorted its insect policy, as unlike the previous reviewer we had no trouble with a bee!!

Overall, not the cheapest hotel we stayed with, but worth another visirt.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Residence Inn Tinton Falls? Share your experiences!