“There is no reason to go to Greece any more.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
“There is no reason to go to Greece any more.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We visited Vasili's Taverna this evening 9-22-12 for dinner. Half of my table had a fantastic fish dinner and I had extremely delicious lanb chops seasoned to perfection. And for all you ketchup fanatics they serve only Heinz Ketchup. The french fries were cooked well done and crispy and I enjoyed some peas and onions to complete the main course. This is a BYOB Restaurant. Prior to this we shared appetizers. This was my first time eating grilled octopus, that was seasoned and cooked so, that unless someone were to have said it was octopus, I would have thought I was having a firm, warm shrimp coctail. Well I have to admit octopus could now be my next favorite dish. We also shared a bean in tomato sauce dish that I will surely savor next time I visit. Salad was truly greek with grapeleaves and rice, Feta cheese and a nice crunchy romaine lettuce, well worth ordering. The service was absolutely flawless and well orchestrated. I ordered Baclava for desert and it was specialy prepared by Damian, a very knowledgeble and friendly member of the family who made sure everyone in the restaurant was enjoying his/her meal. The Baclava was one of the best I have ever eaten and it was home made by members of the Vasili family. The restaurant was small, personable and very comfortable, Damian and all the family members work to make sure you feel like you are in greece enjoying another great meal (without being in Greece). I can't say enough good things about the food, service and ambiance. I recommend that you call ahead for a reservation on weekends because this restaurant does fill up and they do not rush you through your meal. ENJOY!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fair Lawn, New Jersey
“Excellent Authentic Greek food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Cute little storefront restaurant featuring authentic Greek food served by friendly and professional staff. This is a BYO with simple decorations that bring you back to the beautiful Greek islands. The food is great and the seafood even better. You can't go wrong here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“Best Greek in Teaneck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

OK, I say that not knowing for sure if there is better, but the food and service are both excellent. I recommend the restaurant to colleagues all the time and their feedback is also consistently positive.

Visited May 2012
“Excellent local Greek food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Vasili's Taverna is a little gem in suburbia....excellent, fresh, simply prepared Greek food. I've been to Greek restaurants in NYC, and Vasili's is right up there. Fish dishes are particularly fresh and well prepared. Service is friendly. The lunch menu is a great value. It's our go-to place for reliably good food....we love it.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Jersey
“I forgot how good the food was but service was lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I hadn't been here for a few years when friends suggested we meet there.

The service was mediocre but the food was excellent. The place was busy and you need reservations on the weekend. My dorado with spinach rice was superb. My wife had the Bronzino and she really enjoyed it. The Tavsili salad made a nice starter for the table to share.

As I said before the service was mediocre. We never had desert because we had to ask for menus and then they never came back to take our order. After some time the server just brought the check. I was really looking forward to a piece of baklava and a cup of coffee but alas it wasn't going to happen.

We will go back for the great food and hope that the poor service that night was just an anomaly.

• Visited March 2012