“Bad service” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Pipersville, Pennsylvania
“Bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The food is excellent.Wait-staff Arrogant.I guess because we were just a two we should be ignored. After waiting to long and bigger parties being served first we had to pour our own wine only to be told by are waiter we were using the wrong glass. When paying 40 dollars an entree you should not be treated badly. Not a great dining experience. So NOISY Not worth the prices.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Atenas, Costa Rica
“A Yellow Fin Rises Above a Sea of Mediocrity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We never visited LBI before last weekend. I am hopeful that in the distant past, the "better" restaurants on the island were indeed better. In the post-Sandy era, virtually all the restaurants are repaired. They should not have bothered.

LBI has dozens of cutesy small restaurants. The few we visited offered over-priced fish-related food, none of it good, at exorbitant prices. In fairness, you kind of expect a little friendly gouging in beach towns. They have only a few months to make their annual nut. You expect marginal food - and you get it.

What is not forgivable are those that pretend to offer a premium dining experience and serve tasteless tourist fodder. In several outings, we (or our host) paid top dollar for food that had been precooked and not even properly rewarmed. One garnished its standard linguini clam dish entreé with four balls of very cold mozzarella. In another establishment, the spinach in the off-menu veal saltimbocca was equally cold. These restaurants shall remain nameless - another reviewer can roast them on their own spit - at least it will be warm. I will say that Daddy-O's is not among the unnamed as they accepted our reservation for a lunch (on OpenTable.com), but failed to mention that they were not open until we had driven several miles to eat.

This review is about Yellow Fin. It was our last night, we decided to it a try. Girding our palates for the probable Monday night left-overs - we arrived. The decor is unremarkable, but intimate and warm. It was the first restaurant on LBI where the waiter actually understood what he was serving and could make recommendations based on knowledge.

To start, we shared a calamari appetizer with a sambal-ish sauce and cherry peppers. A great variation on a basic recipe. It was promising. Should we leave now? The calamari was good, but a twist on calamari is easy to do.

My famished love ordered scallops atop a wild mushroom risotto. I was delighted with a trigger fish entreé with crisp skin and memorable veggies that I cannot remember. We shared tastes, warm looks and demolished our plates. We were pleased, very pleased.

Most restaurants have desserts to make money - not win hearts. Unfortunately, most hearts can be won with a trickling treacle. Okay, let's risk it. There was only one fantastic banana cream pie with coconut ever made - and I ate it when I was ten. Since then, Thomas Wolfe has come to mind every time I have dared try to recapture the bliss of eating that pie (and probably my sister's share too). You may not be able to go home again, but the pie (and probably much improved) can be had at the Yellow Fin. Rather than a demure bite, my delicate beauty raced me to the clean plate.

It is doubtful that I will on LBI again soon, but should I be wrong. We wil eschew the other culinary fakirs and work our way through the Yellow Fin menu.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florham Park, New Jersey
“Abusive wait-staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I will admit that the food at Yellow Fin is excellent. Unfortunately, their wait staff leaves something to be desired. They know their product - after all, the menu hasn't changed in years. But they are arrogant and condescending, definitely "kissing up" to "regulars" in an obsequious manner. We had dinner there last year and were unhappy with the way the steak was cooked. We were told in not so many words that we "didn't understand how beef was supposed to be cooked" ... as if we'd never eaten in a fine restaurant before. Still we gently persisted and were told that that is "how we cook it so you'd better choose something else", which we did. The next entree was essentially "thrown" at us and from that point on the busboy took over all service (or lack of service). It was very apparent that we were being ignored, so as the service became nonexistent, we left only a 10% tip. As we exited the restaurant another server chased us out, calling after us..."And don't ever come back!" Certainly at no time were we ever rude or pushy, so we definitely didn't deserve that kind of nasty treatment. Besides...whatever happened to "the customer comes first?" Since this experience our entire family and most of our friends, upon hearing of this experience, have chosen to boycott this restaurant. There are other restaurants on LBI with food that is just as delicious, but with wait staffs that are pleasant, friendly in a sincere way, and courteous beyond words.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“So NOISY that it's NOT worth the price, but delicious”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I tried Yellowfin for the second time, after remembering that we enjoyed it years ago. My paella dish was out of this world, and the grilled asparagus tasty, but nothing special. Service was excellent but the high decible level overshadowed all the positives. The noisy environment ruined what I hoped would be a relaxing and intimate dining experience. It detracted so much from our enjoyment that we will not return. Not worth the price.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best on Lbi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We're hear several times a month in the summers and always enjoy the food. The BYOB feature makes it an outstanding value. Hope for a it more variation in the menu this season but love the old favorites. Can be cramped and loud.. But the food overcomes all that.

Visited April 2013