“Pleasant, safe and Accommodating” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Summit Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   570 Springfield Avenue, Summit, NJ 07901-4599   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Freehold, NJ
“Pleasant, safe and Accommodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

As a woman traveling alone I sometimes feel insecure and nervous when visiting an area I am not famiiar with. The location of the Grand Summit, close to beautiful downtown Summt was a pleasant surprise. Parking is easily accessible in a well lit safe area, the staff greeted me in the front lobby, which I found to be very charming, and were very friendly and accommodating. The room was spotless and offered everything I needed to enjoy my stay. The full breakfast offered in the morning, which is complimentary, was a nice change from the continental style. It was great to be able to have a quick breakfast and catch up on the news on one of the big screen tvs in their restaurant downstairs. The Grand Summit is a welcome change from the larger, less personal, big name hotels.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Dear Lisa R,

I could not have asked for a better advertisement for our hotel to our female travellers! We have always made a point of promoting the safety and security that a town like Summit offers to its visitors. To have you recognize this aspect of our property and area is fantastic.

In addition, the pleasant exchange you had with our staff is indicative of what we strive to do everyday in providing a welcoming environment for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Summit Hotel in the near future and thank you for your comments.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Johns Creek, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

My family spent the weekend of oct14/16 2011 at the Grand Summit Hotel for an affair. The entire staff was wonderful , from Michael Marino ,the asst. gm,Jennifer and Joy at the front desk, Larry 's bell service , to housekeeping ,they were all very courteous and attentive. The food as always was outstanding. It's an old Hotel but it's well decorated, cozy,warm and a happening place. This was our second time staying there. I would suggest The Grand to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear RGrosswald,

Thank you so much for your kind words. To hear you speak so glowinglyof your stay means the world to us. We work very hard to ensure a comfortable experience for all of our guests and it is great to hear when we have succeeded like this.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Savannah, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

My only challenge with this hotel is that the rooms are smallish, and there was no tub in my room. It is top notch though, beautiful and historic.

Room Tip: I'd suggest a higher floor. Stayed on the first and it was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear SavannahLady2010,

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback regarding your stay with us, we very appreciate it. Most of our rooms do have bath tubs. The renovated rooms in the back of the hotel have the new tumbled-stone showers. We can certainly ensure you have a tub in your room when you return to the area as a majority do include a tub.

We thank you again for the wonderful feedback and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Parlin, N
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I were married at the Grand Summit hotel April 9, 2011 (like I said, I'm a little late on this). In a way, I'm glad I waited to write this, here we are 6 months later, and EVERYONE i talk to who was there, STILL RAVES ABOUT IT! Now, let me tell you, I looked at other places before arriving at the Grand Summit, and what set it apart (aside from its historical beauty) was the wonderful staff. Theresa greeted us, and almost instantly, felt like family. She was with us every step of the way from that day until the grand event. Always taking our questions and never making us feel like we were bothering her. We had around 60 people stay at the hotel. Some were there for 2 nights, others for 1. The morning of the wedding, whoever had stayed over met for breakfast and the food was great! For those of us who would not be able to eat for quite a few hours, this was wonderful! During this mad dash of the day's preparations, I was impressed that I didn't have to worry about anything...even getting my baggage in to the room my husband and I booked for that night. Lionel came up with a trolly, and moved all of my baggage (even while the photographer and video people were there). When we returned from the church, our guests were greeted at the door by members of the GSH with Champagne and strawberries. Theresa got us in to the 'private room' to take a breath and prepare for the reception. Theresa walked us through our entrances and we were so grateful to have her there with us. The whole evening was AMAZING! We held a private breakfast the morning after for our guests. (the staff outdid themselves AGAIN!!!!) For the compliments I've heard in the last 6 months...The food was AMAZING, I keep dreaming of that (insert food here from salads to appetizers, to entrees). How amazingly beautiful the hotel itself was/is. My personal favorite "I went to a wedding at the Bellagio, your wedding was FAR better". If you have ANY questions, please call them, they will help you and not make you feel funny for asking. They go out of their way to make you happy. They are simply amazing. We already know ANY event we have in the future, we want it at the Grand Summit. Your not just a guest here, your family! Thank you to EVERYONE who was so wonderful in making our friends and family feel so at home.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Pima49,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review that you posted about The Grand Summit Hotel. We work hard to provide a comfortable experience for our guests and when it is recognized it means a lot to us. I am especially pleased to hear that you found the hotel provided a home away from home type of atmosphere as that is what we strive to provide. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future and we thank you again for your comments!

Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I've stayed at The Grand Summit a few times over the past seven years as my corporate office is close. I most recently was there last week and I couldn't check out soon enough! I love quaint, older hotels however there is a difference between a quaint hotel with character and one that simply is not being kept up. I do LOVE the location and the closeness to the wonderful downtown area of Summit NJ however as much as I love the location, I will not stay at The Grand Summit again.

The lighting in the rooms is so poor I could not work on my computer. There were two lamps, one above the very small table and chairs and the other on the nightstand. The wallpaper is peeling off, they have not updated the room enough to add more plug ins (although this would be a quick fix with nightstand lamps that have plug ins). Please note the picture I've attached with the very unattractive strip beside the TV.

The hallways smell...it's not just an "old" smell either. I know the difference after staying in other older hotels. The caulking between the tile in the bathtub is breaking off and landed in the bathtub. (I stepped on a piece). The elevators have 60's style paneling on the sides with scratches all over them. Additionally, I asked after the second day to have the linens changed as there was a bug (it was NOT a bed bug, more like an ant). Although they changed them, they did not give me a top cover.

I know The Grand Summit has many weddings and events throughout the year. I know nothing about the event/banquet facilities however on Sunday night of my stay, and although I was on the 4th floor (top) an event was happening on the first floor and I could hear the music. In fact, it was extremely loud when I returned to the hotel that evening. I called to ask the front desk how long the event would be going on and the front desk clerk replied that they were playing until 11pm. A bit late for a Sunday evening with music blaring throughout the hotel.

I'm disappointed as I enjoy Summit NJ and the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback on our property. As a long time frequent guest of our hotel, I am disappointed to hear that we failed to provide you with a comfortable experience during your most recent stay with us. We work very hard to exceed the expectations of our customers and it is through feedback like this that we can address our hotel and operation. I can assure you that the feedback regarding the condition of your room and the hotel in general will be addressed, and I welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally to gain additional information regarding your stay. I am confident that we can address your issues and ensure that your next stay meets with the level of product you have come to expect from us. Many of our long term customers like yourself have called us home for many years, and we strive to ensure you continue to do so. I look forward to speaking with you when your schedule permits.

Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Our team stays here rather than at the hotels near our client in Secaucus because after working so hard, being in a sterile hotel without any character is rather disheartening. We find the prices lower at the Grand Summit as compared to Secaucus. So, the review about the prices being too high, I figure that person hasn't tried booking rooms in the City or Secaucus. The surroundings are lovely, with lovely homes and gardens nearby, just perfect for that after work walk or jog. And dinner... oh my, a few blocks walk to Fiorino. Divine food. The hotel breakfast was part of our rate and was very good. I've been to a lot of hotels both in the US and Europe and the breakfast was very good with all kinds of food for those with both health-conscious and health-unconscious diets. Something for everyone! The only thing I could have wished for was a fan in the bathroom and better wireless connectivity. Otherwise, I was well taken care of, with every problem resolved immediately (except the 2 I mentioned). The staff was welcoming and easy to communicate with. That flat screen TV sure was nice!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

My husband, children and I spent a lovely evening at Grand Summit while attempting to make our early morning flight from Newark more palatable. I must pat myself on the back, it was a great idea! If you are conditioned to the generic chain hotels, this will be a great departure for you. The rooms were small, but filled with personality and charm, almost BnB- esque but with privacy and impeccable service. The room was pristine, comfortable and afforded us all of the ammenities you'd expect from a fine hotel. Flat screen TV, cable, movies, mini bar etc. We had a nice rest, the kids took a dip in the small but clean pool ( almost like swimming in your backyard! ) and we then had a lovely dinner at the Hotel Restaurant ( LOBSTER night! YUM! )..
The staff was helpful, courteous and pleasant. Our evening was uneventful, we had a comfy night's sleep and awoke to a lovely breakfast buffet.. eggs, bacon, cereal, fruit, the works!
The hotel offered us a shuttle to take us to the airport and as we climbed aboard, an employee chased us down as my son had left his DS charger in the room. I am so thankful for that personal step as my flight would have been a nightmare had we been " video game free " and the staff had simply left the charger at the desk for us to claim upon realizing it's absence.
While i didn't attend an event there, I am fairly certain that this lovely venue would be an excellent host for a wedding, shower etc. as the grounds are well kept and the building historic and filled to the brim with charm and character.
Take the opportunity from the generic hotel stay and treat yourself, whether for business or pleasure, to an Inn with a bit of flair and distinction. Tucked away in beautiful Summit and a stone's throw from the GSP, Turnpike, NYC and EWR.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!