“Huntley Tavern - Disappointed and Way Overpriced!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 58 Restaurants in Summit
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Montclair, New Jersey
“Huntley Tavern - Disappointed and Way Overpriced!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I had heard so many great things about Huntley Tavern that I was so looking forward to it. It's a charming building, but w/ zero views - you face a car wash. It was nice that they had valet parking, but really not needed since the parking lot is right there with plenty of spaces and it's just as easy to walk w/o having to wait for a valet to get your car.

Staff was friendly and we were seated right away since we had reservations and it was a fairly early seating time for a Friday nite - 6:30 PM.

Everything on menu is ala carte which I hate as I feel restaurants do that to jack up the prices. We ordered the scallop dish and the brick oven pizza. The scallops arrived and there were literally 4 medium to small sized scallops with 2 tablespoons of cous cous nothing else came w/ the dish. We ended up ordering a side of mashed potatoes. The scallop dish was $28 and the mash potatoes another $8. The food was tasty, but not amazing and for $36 a plate I expect more. My husband ordered the brick oven pizza - it was too chewy for my taste and again the dish was overpriced.

Staff was lovely but they have too much staff and no one really managing your table. We had one person take our drink order, another brought us bread, another took our dishes away, another who brought the food, but of course when my husbands soup was brought it it came w/o a spoon. I had to flag down a Manager just to get a spoon for him as no one was watching the floor. It seems that once someone did their one task for you they left the area. I prefer to have one person overseeing my order and my need's during my visit.

They do have a very long list of wines, but they are sorely lacking in the fancy drink section. I ordered a glass of red wine - it was $13 for a glass and when my glass came it was filled to maybe 30% - for the $13 I felt they should have been more generous w/ the wine. My husband chose a fancy cocktail out of an extremely limited choice offering - his drink was also $13.

Overall, this place was a real disappointment and it will be along time before I'll go back - it's just too darn pricey for what your getting and the prices don't seem to align w/ the quality nor the service.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Way too pricey for what you get.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I went out for a bite at this restaurant. The decor is really beautiful. The food is haughty and over priced. Ordered a special drink for $13, should have had a beer. Need to vary menu. Sorry...will not visit again not worth dropping $80 for 2 drinks and 2 appetizers.

Visited May 2013
Clinton, New Jersey
“Great Experience at The Huntley Tavern”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I stopped here for lunch on a Saturday afternoon at the recommendation of my brother who lives in the area. The place was practically empty but I am glad that it was. It's really nice inside so I feel that we were able to just appreciate it that much more by it not being busy. Our bartender was amazing - she was great to talk to and certainly made the experience more memorable. The food was fantastic and we plan on going back with some friends in tow. Overall I would recommend this place and I can't wait to return!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Continue on to another restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The service was impertinent. My companion arrived late and the waiter, Luis, scolded harshly for the late arrival. Then we waited 35 minutes to order. No one checked to see if we liked our meals and beverages were not refilled. Finally, we waited 20 minutes after requesting our check to receive it.

The acoustics made it heard to hear especially with a rambunctious celebration under way at the next table. A couple of other parties were moved and others left early because management did nothing to curb the drinking and noise.

Food was served tepid and was way over seasoned, which left a bad taste in one’s mouth for hours afterwards.

There are many other better restaurants in Summit area at which to dine.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Castle Pines, Colorado
“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Visiting from out of town and met friends here who live locally. We had a great table out on the patio in a quiet corner, great service with excellent recommendations by the waitress made with local ingredients -- great food. We thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and the food and hope we can return one day.

• Visited June 2013