“Wonderful Winter Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Stone Harbor
Springfield, United States
“Wonderful Winter Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We selected to stay at the The Reeds due to limited off-season availabilty and a reception we were attend was held there. However, once there it was the right decision. The staff was really nice and attentive. The bartender Susan not only poured great drinks but was super friendly and was a great conversation. Conner at the front desk remembered our names the enitre weekend and would give a great saluation everytime we saw him, even talking about the area like a tour guide. The valets were even really nice although it was cold and raining when we first arrived.

Our rooms was warm and inviting (even in the dead of winter). Great looks and feel. Didn't need the a balcony to enjoy the view and feel like we were at the beach. the only down side is that the hotel does have alot of reception/wedding/celebration areas and the second night we were there there was a party in one of the banquet rooms that we could hear really well in our room. Thankfully it was over at 10pm. My advice is sit at the bar, enjoy some drinks and people watch until things quiet down. Hopefully, the hotel will set a no-noise time of around 10pm so all can enjoy the hotel.

We had lunch at the reception and the food, halibut and filet, were amazing and if indicative of the food at the resturant, you will want to eat at the Sax or outside resturant (can't recall the name) when it is open during the season. Speaking of the deck...that area is one of the highlights of this spot (similar to the lawn at Congress Hall). I could see it packed with people at sunset in the summer.

It is off season and I don't think the occuapancy was very high during our stay but the service was excellent. It is a small hotel and after the new hotel growing pains this should be on par with the likes of Congress Hall in Cape May for service and quality in a small location. My only hope is that if the managment wants to keep hotel customers a priority and the hotle not just become an banquet location, they need to figure out a way to place some priority on the hotel customers. Maybe a VIP area at the outdoor bar and resturant, or a couple of free drinks or late night snacks at the bars to keep overnighters from their rooms until the partiers calm down would keep everyone happy.

Room Tip: The Bay view rooms have suberb views even if you get one without a balcony. It might be a little lo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
From all of us here at The Reeds, thank you for sharing your five-star experience with us William L! What you describes is exactly what we strive for here at The Reeds daily, and it's gratifying to know that we delivered. We also appreciate your recommendations and observations - they can only assist us in continually improving. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Best regards,

Julie Yeager, Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hotel is beautiful and a welcome and needed addition to Stone Harbor. From opening week when they ran out of wine to spotty service in food venues they seem disorganized and mismanaged. Two weeks until Christmas and they have no menu for dinner yet. Undecided what they're going to do. That means I have to decide to go elsewhere. I need to make my plans for the day and can't wait on them. Sorry, I was looking forward to quiet dinner with my wife but really unheard of that a restaurant doesn't have plan in place 2 weeks prior to major holiday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We actually just completed our pre fixe menu for Christmas and are now accepting reservations. We would love to accommodate you and your wife so please contact as soon as possible to reserve your date and time, as we are receiving many requests. If we don’t get to see you, we wish you a very happy and healthy holiday season.
South Amboy, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is a top-notch venue for weddings. The staff bends over backwards to assist in every aspect. I highly recommend. The amenities are excellent. Location couldn't get any better. Close to everything in Stone Harbor. Walk to the beach or meals. Great views of the bay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Michael, We're thrilled that you enjoyed everything from our ambiance to our service while at The Reeds. We really appreciate your recommendations and hopefully we will see you back in again soon.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Our daughter's wedding was held at The Reeds this past Saturday. The only word to describe it was "Perfection!" We booked the wedding with Julie, the sales manager last January, when there was only a foundation. Needless to say, we were a little nervous. However, Julie's presentation was wonderful and we felt confident it was going to be a fantastic holel. Our event planner, Leslie took over and was outstanding. We had numerous meetings and phone calls and she took care of every single detail. Every guest raved about The Reeds, from the hotel to the appetizers, dinner, cake and brunch the next morning. Many guests said that the entire weekend at The Reeds was "Magical." Best of all, my daughter, Megan and her husband, Drew, had the "Best night of their lives." Thank you Julie, Leslie and the entire staff of The Reeds!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Barbara, thanks for taking the time to write us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that your daughter's wedding was exactly what you dreamed it would be. We love to hear the word "magical" because we really do strive to create an unforgettable experience. Thanks again for your recommendations and we hope to see you and the family back again soon.

clayton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our family recently hosted a wedding at The Reeds Hotel At Shelter Haven in Stone Harbor, NJ. We had both the ceremony and the reception at the hotel. The wedding was magnificent. It was even more beautiful than we imagined. The event coordinator was just amazing. The service was 5 star. I have been receiving calls from family & friends telling me it was the best wedding they have ever been to. As the mother of the bride I expected it to be somewhat of a stressful situation, when actually it was the complete opposite. From the moment we arrived on Friday, the day before the wedding, everyone was so accommodating. All of the employees were professional, yet so down to earth. Between our event coordinator & all of the guest services representatives there was nothing left for us to do but enjoy & savor our beautiful weekend. I could go on & on about this magical weekend. Needless to say this hotel will be our go to place for other events & vacations.

Room Tip: There was a group of us with a few different rooms. Every room was perfect.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thanks for the wonderful feedback! I'm thrilled to hear that you had such a great time with us for your daughter's wedding. As the Mother of the bride, you shouldn't have to worry about minor details and instead should be free to entertain your guests. I'm glad that we were able to make the process as smooth as possible. We appreciate all of your recommendations and can't wait to host your next event!

Malvern, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We just had our daughter's wedding at the Reeds and had numerous friends and family stay at the hotel. The whole experience was fantastic. The rooms were really well done. The service, while not yet 5 star was very very friendly and helpful and place is beautiful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Steve, thanks for taking the time to give us some much appreciated kudos! I'm thrilled to hear that you thought the whole wedding experience to be fantastic and the surroundings beautiful. We appreciate your wonderful feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a beautiful property AND the type of venue that the south Jersey Shore - heck all of the Jersey Shore - could use about 15 more of. The architecture is gorgeous.. The rooms are nice..very upscale, beds are super comfy with high thread count sheets and lots of pillows (but don't let the website pics mislead you) a town view is NOTHING like the bay view and substantially changes the feel of your stay. I would say though, that what I paid for the town view was about what you would pay for a WIldwood hotel room in season, so I didn't mind that too much.

Here's the thing about the Reeds. They allow wedding receptions. LOUD ones. I walked in for my reservation on Friday night to such a din that it took me about 4 hours to adjust my expectations of the place. (I had been very psyched to happen upon the place via booking.com when heading down for a quick stay.) This particular night, the wedding party had rented out almost all of the venues in the Inn (rooftop bar included) and people were everywhere almost like the whole place had been taken over by a wedding reception. My next door neighbors were a suite full of wedding-related merry makers and I could hear the hootin' and hollerin'. Things did calm down around 11 pm. I understand the wedding receptions are very frequent happenings at the Reeds.

Aside from all of that, the property has a lot of promise. I didn't try the food but the restaurants look very worth a try. Had a nice glass of Cooper Creek Sauv Blanc at the bar...nice bartenders and beautiful lounge right on the street level which gave it an urban oasis feeling I really liked. There is complimentary valet for your car - nice boys there - and one of the best things was in the morning, when I was leaving, there was a complimentary coffee bar set up. Unfortunately, the high test urn was empty. So I walked into the restaurant to alert them, and a nice lady went and got me a cup from the kitchen With a smile. That is the kind of service that will get you to come back.

I don't know what to do about the wedding situation. I'd like to come back (thus the high marks on the overall) and give it another try, but I would want it to be on a reception free night. But mid week isn't a possibility. I mean, can you imaging rolling up to the Virginia in Cape May only to hear a cover band jamming out "Celebration" full blast? I think they need to find a way to remedy this. No other complaints....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave us some very valuable feedback and sharing the highlights of your stay. We do host a lot of weddings, but we never want it to come at the expense of our hotel guests. While it can be difficult to quell the merriment of the occasion, we can certainly do everything in our power to ensure that guests like yourself have an enjoyable stay with us - exceeding expectations is always our first priority. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to your next visit!

Julie Yeager, Director of Sales

Been to The Reeds at Shelter Haven? Share your experiences!