“Disappointing, Not at All What the Website Shows” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Mid Week Savings
Ranked #1 of 1 Stockton B&B and Inns
PH
“Disappointing, Not at All What the Website Shows”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

im really surprised not to see any negative reviews about the woolverton inn. my husband and i stayed there in january of 2008 and were shocked to find upon arrival that the pictures on their website are misrepresentative of the place. our room, ashers glen, was much smaller than the pictures led us to believe. the walls were so thin we could hear our neighbors across the hall and, suffice it to say, it made for some uncomfortable moments. perhaps this is not the case with the more expensive rooms, but our room showed obvious signs of wear and tear. our bed was hardly big enough for two and worst of all, it creaked with every movement. the blanket was not very warm. also, the room has no tv.

the only redeeming quality about the inn was the food. the full breakfast they served the next morning was delicious. they also had homebaked cookies sitting out on the morning we left. we took a couple for the road, knowing we would never be returning to the woolverton inn in the future.

Stayed January 2008
OceanWave21, Owner at Woolverton Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2008
Thank you for taking time to share your review of your stay at the Woolverton Inn. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations. We strive to represent our property through our website accurately; however, it is difficult to show the size of our smaller rooms, like Asher's Glen, through photos. That being said, we feel that our pricing is appropriate and comparative according to each room's size and appointment of amenities. For future reference, we have an accommodating staff that is more than willing to describe the layout or size of the rooms. We noticed you stayed with us in January, 2008 although you posted your review in August, 2008. We use our slower months in the winter season to spruce up the inn with fresh paint and minor maintenance, which is what we have since done in Asher's Glen. Once again, we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Warmest,
The Management at the Woolverton Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

My husband and I just went to the Woolverton for our honeymoon. It was everything we could have asked for. We stayed in Stockton's Hideaway which was a good amount of space with the window seat and both tub and shower. The breakfasts were superb, especially their lemon ricotta pancakes and the different muffins and biscuits everyday. They put out baked goods every afternoon and always have hot water for tea, soda, or water available. The backpack lunch was also very good and worth purchasing. We loved the goat's cheese and had to stop at a Wegman's on the way home to purchase some.

The property is also very nice. We enjoyed sitting and reading on the porch as well as other chairs near the fields.

The owners and staff are also very knowledgeable about the local restaurants and their recommendations are worth taking. Our first night we got in later than we had planned and one of the owners called ahead at the Stockton Inn, which we would also recommend for its salads and entree selections. We also loved Lily's on the Canal in Lambertville.

This was a very good inn as well as the perfect setting for fine dining, wine, and relaxation.

• Liked — Relaxing Environment
  • Disliked — Cobwebs and spiders on the outside of the building
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pennington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

My husband and I spent a lovely night at the Woolverton Inn recently. We stayed in Amelia's Suite which was elegant and comfortable. It was on the second floor of the main house. We had a fireplace, a large whirlpool tub overlooking the sheep pasture, and a bath with a two-person steam shower that was great! They also have fancy cottages that you can stay in. The cottages are near the sheep pasture, except for the Garden Cottage (the only one that allows pets) which is attached to a residence.

The setting for this inn is tranquil and peaceful - a wonderful place to relax. The property has a sheep pasture and woods. At the same time, there are some towns nearby that you can drive to with shopping, restaurants, etc.

Breakfast was brought to our room upon request and was delicious! It was presented beautifully and tasted great. Afternoon tea meant scrumptious baked goods and fresh fruit.

Everyone there made us feel comfortable and welcomed. We loved it so much that we have already made plans to return and stay in one of the cottages!

• Liked — The peaceful environment and delicious breakfast.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed here after we were married for 1 month. Our honeymoon was planned for later in the yr and this was a great romantic getaway.
It was a rainy weekend, but the place was so cozy and quiet.
We loved our room, small and quaint. Breakfast was unbelieveable and i loved the sheep.

I have no complaints, except Stockton, NJ town area is small and not really anything there.
New Hope was a disappointment as well, but well worth the weekend to stay at the Woolverton.

• Liked — Breakfast and no tv or phone in the room
  • Disliked — Stockton NJ wasnt that exciting
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philly area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Woolverton Inn for two nights following our wedding this month, and we had a wonderful, relaxing stay. We stayed on the third floor of the main house in Newell's Library. Very clean and comfortable room (book-lined walls!) with a king sized-bed, gas fireplace/stove, and smallish bathroom (no tub, shower only--fine with us). We basically had two peaceful days away from the outside world to relax and spend time together.

Things we loved--clean, cozy, lots of character, beautiful building and grounds (wonderful for strolling), sheep!, absolutely delicious breakfast (in bed, no less), afternoon snacks, complimentary beverages, friendly staff.

I have to take a moment to reiterate about the breakfast--it was truly, absolutely awesome. Fresh fruit, baked item of some sort, fresh squeezed OJ, coffee or tea, selection of two yummy entrees each day (during our stay--Grand Marnier french toast, eggs florentine with smoked salmon, lemon blueberry pancakes, sun-dried tomato omlette). Probably the best breakfast I have ever had.

Concerns (and these did not affect our enjoyment at all)--thin walls and/or gap under the door (you can hear people in the hall--I will assume they could hear you in your room), unable to access the wifi in our third floor room (no problems on the main floor though).

We have already decided that we will return to the Woolverton for our one year anniversary. What a lovely find!

• Liked — ambience, breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Passaic County, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

My husband and I went to the Woolverton Inn May 2-May 4 to celebrate our 4 year anniversary (which is the 15th). We drove up a gravel road to a beautiful inn. After parking the car, we made our way to the main house to check in. On the way to the main house, we noticed the sheep the yard. There is a sheep pasture.

We checked in. We had The Hunterdon Cottage. It was amazing. It had a whirlpool tub for two, a two stall shower, and a gas fireplace. When you looked out the window, the sheep were right there grazing. You can also hear them sometimes early morning.

There aren't any TVs. They provide you a clock radio with a CD player. They also provide you a mini fridge with water and soda free of charge. The room has bathrobes and spa towels. The bed was a king size featherbed. The Hunterdon also had a screened in porch.

The breakfast was great. One morning you had a choice of a frittada (sp?) with mushrooms, feta cheese, and tomatoes or waffles. Both were served with apple smoke bacon, organge juice, coffee, tea, and hot choolate. Before serving breakfast they offer a fruit cup and some sort of pastry. The pina colada scones were to die for. The next day they offered banana blueberry bread.

It was a great relaxing weekend. The only downfall was we had to drive to Lambertville and New Hope. It is not within walking distance. It took about 5-7 minutes to get there.

• Liked — The breakfast, serenity, and sheep pasture
  • Disliked — Having to drive to Lambertville & New Hope
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manassas, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

I saw an ad or a story about this Inn in a magazine or newspaper a while back and wrote down the website for future reference because it looked like a nice place to stay. I was not disappointed.

This Inn is on a quiet little street (emphasis on quiet) high above the main road through town. There is plenty of parking. There are sheep in the yard as well as deer roaming the grounds at night (be careful and drive slow when you drive up in the dark as they go flying past you). There is a porch with tables, chairs and rocking chairs. When I arrived it was just starting to get warm out and they were in the process of changing out the windows and screens. The porch could use a good power-washing so I am sure it's on the list of Spring Cleaning and just hadn't been done yet for my visit. This is a very old house, so the floors creak, the doors creak and are hard to open and close. So when people get up in the middle of the night above or below you, people can hear it as the rooms are very close together. I use a white noise machine, so it was fine for me, but if you are a light sleeper, this may be an issue for you.

The doors to the Inn are open all night long and are never locked. The only locks are on your bedroom door. There is no Innkeeper on the premises overnight. There is someone here at 7:30-10:30 am for breakfast and cleaning of rooms and then someone is here from 3pm-6pm for check-in. An Innkeeper can be summoned by using the intercom in the closet (they point this out to you upon arrival).

The house is very large. The entry room and the main living room are beautifully decorated with comfortable furniture.

The Dining Area/Food

The dining area is set up with lots of small tables so you are able to dine alone at your table or chat with others. You can also have your breakfast brought to your room or eat on the porch if you prefer. The breakfast menu is posted on the wall in a frame the evening before. The food is very good. Standard B&B fare (gourmet French toast, pancakes, omlettes, home-made granola and yogurt, etc.). At 3pm they put out fresh-baked cookies and have hot water for tea or hot chocolate (no coffee, not even instant and no cream, however, I foraged into the kitchen and found the half and half for my tea and the Innkeeper didn't seem to mind). There are Innkeepers and other staff around. It's hard to know who's who as nobody introduced themselves to me, but everyone is very nice and friendly and make you feel like it's your house.

The Rooms

I stayed in the Dorothy Room (Blue). This room is extremely tiny for one person. By putting my suitcase in the room, I was barely able to get in and out of the bathroom. I DO NOT recommend this room for two people. It has a double bed, nice linens and a bathroom inside the room. I did not see the Primrose Room because it was locked, but that has a bathroom across the hall (private, but still it's across the hall). This room could use refreshing. The house is very, very old, so there is a lot of plaster cracks and the like, but it looks like it's a room that has not been re-done since they bought the house.

I was able to look at some of the other rooms and they are all beautifully decorated and look recently painted/wallpapered/carpeted. Much nicer than the Dorothy Room.

There are 3 levels to this house. My room was on the third floor. There is no elevator, so find out what floor your room is on before you pack your bags. It is hard to carry a very heavy suitcase up 3 very narrow flights of stairs with short steps. I almost lost my balance several times.

Heat/Air Conditioning

It looks like all the rooms are heated by oil or gas radiators. From what I can tell there is no central air in this house. It is possible they have window units for the summer time. You should confirm this before making a reservation. When I was here in April, the temperature was mild, so it wasn't an issue. Most rooms seem to have ceiling fans though.

TV, GPS, Internet, Cell Phone

There is no TV at all in this Inn (which means no VHS/DVDs either). I had no problem finding this Inn with my GPS (VZNavigator), nor with navigating all around the Chalfont, New Hope, Doylestown areas. The Inn has wireless unsecured internet and I was able to access it out on the porch, the main room and my guest room with no problems. I had great cell coverage throughout the Inn (Verizon). Other guests with laptops and cellphones also seemed to be fairing well.

Things To Do

Definitely use the Inn's webpage for information on things to do.

I visited Peddler's Village, Crossings Vineyard, The Sandcastle Vineyard, Philadelphia Park Raceway and Casino, Washington Crossing Historical Park, and theTalking Teacup Tea Room in Chalfont.

• Liked — The porch
  • Disliked — Very small room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Woolverton Inn? Share your experiences!