“Stay Away!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Stanhope B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, PA
“Stay Away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2006

Beware. This Inn sounds great but this innkeeper is inflexible and rude. I planned a weekend biking trip at the Whistling Swan with 6 others - we filled the place. Some of my party stayed here before and knew the owner. At the threat of bad rainy weather, we asked to book an alternative weekend where we could bike. What good is a bike trip if you can't bike? Ann, the innkeeper, was inflexible, very rude to some of my party, and not accomodating. I know the need for cancellation penalties (some of friends own B&B's) but her behavior in this situation was intolerable. She not only lost any of our business (which was considerable since we travel a lot), but the business of others - I have alredy told some friends to stay away from the Inn and have send messages to other travel sites. For Ann, it just was not worth it - bad news travels fast. If her attitude is any indication of her behavior to her guests, I'd stay somewhere else if I were you.

• Stayed April 2006
, Owner at Whistling Swan Inn, responded to this review, May 4, 2006
Mr Waldo and his friends booked four rooms at the Whistling Swan Inn. Three hours before their check in time on Friday they one by one called and cancelled. They had planned a bicycling weekend and because the weather for Saturday had forecasted rain they didn’t want to come. Mr Waldo knew our cancellation policy but wanted me to not charge any cancellation fees and move the group to another yet-to-be determined weekend. And it might have rained again! I cannot be asked to absorb nature’s whims. Mr. Waldo then threatened me with writing bad reviews to several traveler sites. He also emailed me a threatening note after I sent the cancellation letter to him.

With three hours notice I could not rent any of the rooms for Friday or Saturday. As an aside two of the couples were very nice and I appreciated it after this very rude behavior by Mr. Waldo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
buxxy007
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2004

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Whistling Swan. There was a girl who was working for the Innkeeper named Karen or Kathi who went out of her way to accommodate us. Her restaurant recommendations, directions and just plain wonderful hospitality made our weekend just great. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious. We would readily recommend this inn to anyone looking for a nice peaceful escape in New Jersey!

Been to Whistling Swan Inn? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Whistling Swan Inn

Address: 110 Main St., Stanhope, NJ 07874
Location: United States > New Jersey > Stanhope
Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Stanhope
Hotel Class:3 star — Whistling Swan Inn 3*
The Whistling Swan Inn is an elegantly restored 1905 Queen Anne Victorian mansion. Nestled in the village of Stanhope, NJ in the Skylands region of the state, the inn offers 5 distinctively decorated rooms and 4 suites, furnished in antiques and reproductions. Voted one of the "top 10 best inns in the US" by Inn Traveler magazine, the Whistling Swan Inn combines the charm of a bygone era with the modern conveniences today's guests require. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Whistling Swan Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Whistling Swan Hotel Stanhope

If you own or manage Whistling Swan Inn, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.