“One of the best restaurants in the area with ocean front view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 23 restaurants in Spring Lake
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Morristown, New Jersey
“One of the best restaurants in the area with ocean front view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Had another solid dinner here, sitting outside overlooking the ocean. Halibut was great with a house salad. Good one man band playing Jimmy Buffet type music. A must when in Spring Lake area.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
new jersey
“Lovely Birthday Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

After having lunch with friends at the Black Trumpet, I decided to return with my husband the following week for my birthday dinner. It was a beautiful evening and we had reserved a table on the porch. Tables for two are all against the wall, not as nice as the larger tables, but I was still able to see the ocean in the distance. The menu was sophisticated without being stuffy, the food was very good, portions were fairly large and service was attentive.

My only suggestion would be to include prices on the "specials" menu. A lobster dish was $49 we were informed after inquiring. That was not in line with the other entrees.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Middletown, NJ
“Good, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Shared the mesclun salad with beets, pecans and goat cheese, good, and they split it for us. My husband had shelled 2lb. lobster on top of crab cake. Crab cake was cold, for $49 that's unacceptable. I had the herb crusted grouper with crab on top, $36. Both meals were tasty. It was busy being summer and a little warm in the restaurant. They have a liquor license May to November, maybe try in a quieter time.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nyack, NY
“Just delightful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Black Trumpet is a lovely restaurant in The Grand Victorian hotel---just across from the beach. Ask for a table on the porch and do make a reservation.
The salads are fresh, the fish wonderful and beautifully presented and desserts definitely shareable. It was difficult making choices. During dinner we were entertained with guitar and singing by a local talent, Chris. This definitely added to the ambience.
My only criticism is a small one...the service, while friendly and helpful, was unpolished. Minor things such as leading you to your table and making you stand there while you clear the additional settings and lay the menus; asking why you didn't eat you last scallop; not refilling water glasses.
Overall, very pleasant and good value for the money. Not the place for noisey groups.

Visited July 2013
Princeton, New Jersey
“3 meals in 24 hours: very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were staying at the Grand Victorian in which this restaurant (separately owned) is housed. The dinner my wife and I had was very good; she liked her too large for one normal person filet mignon and I thought that my tuna steak atop noodles, wasabi and other vegetables was creative and tasty. The next morning our two adult children and enjoyed breakfast with us on the outside porch just across the road form the rolling waves of Spring Lake beach. Blueberry pancakes were a big hit along with omelets. The convenience and food quality had us return for a late lunch. The crab cake sandwich and lobster bisque were of very high quality: a great taste after a morning in the surf. Saturday night's service was too obsessive; my wife joked when we returned to our room that our waiter would be knocking in a moment to check in on us yet again to make sure we were enjoying everything. But that's a minor carp: Black Trumpet was a welcome spot for a beach weekend's meals.

• Visited July 2013