“The Ocean House Saved our vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ocean House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Ocean House
You added The Ocean House to your Saves list
102 Sussex Ave, Spring Lake, NJ 07762   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Spring Lake B&B and Inns
Parts unkonwn
“The Ocean House Saved our vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

My girlfriend and I stumbled across this wonderful establishment by accident. We had originally booked our room for a Thursday and Friday night at another hotel, but after about 5 minutes, we walked out, ready to head home. By pure circumstance, we stumbled upon The Ocean House, which had rooms available. We were more than pleased with what we saw. The staff was more that understanding of our situation and had a room cleaned and ready for us in 20 minutes. The lobby area has an adjacent library and sitting rooms and has a very Victorian feel to it, as it should being that it is one of the oldest buildings in Spring Lake. The wrap-around porch is perfect for anyone looking for a comfy spot to sit after walking on the beach, or for cuddling at sunrise. They offer a complimentary continental-style breakfast with a few other items in the morning. The hotel itself is close to just about everything Spring Lake has to offer: 1 block from both the beach and the lake, two blocks from town, three blocks from The Sundae Times, the best icecream parlor on the shore IMHO, and four to six blocks away from the fancier restaurants in the area. While they do not have much space for parking, there is plenty along the beach. If you are unwilling to give up your space for a short trip, they do have antique 1950s era bicycles available for use. Due to the age of the hotel, they do not allow food in the rooms, but do provide a communal refridgerator for their guests. My girlfriend and I enjoyed our weekend stay so much, that when the owner offered us a discounted rate for Saturday night, we did not hesitate to say yes!

• Liked — The whole experience
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Edgewater, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

Let me start by saying I had a wonderful, wonderful time here. I recommend this to anyone looking for some "alone time" with a significant other. For any great holiday, you need great 1) hospitality 2) accomodations and ambience 3) location and proximity to "fun stuff" and ofcourse 4) FOOD. I'm writing this review accordingly:

1) HOSPITALITY
The hosts - Dennis and Nancy - were delightful. They spent enough time with you to feel welcome and comfortable and left you alone to enjoy the place. They suggested great places to eat and chatted you up. In short they were the right balance of friendly without being intrusive. Dennis stopped by with an amusing anecdote once a day - a nice touch.

2) ACCOMODATIONS AND AMBIENCE
The Ocean House has well appointed rooms and a wonderful wraparound porch. The building has been well take care of, and you can tell that the owners have put in a lot of effort to create the right ambience - each room has its own feel and color scheme. We got the queen suite which had a separate "living room" which had a large window with sun light streaming in. Housekeeping kept our room clean and tidy every day. The Ocean House and cycles in the back which were a lot of fun. Don't get shocked when you see the TVs - they are from the 80s! - but the play all the right cable channels and add to the 'feel' of the place.

3) LOCATION
The Ocean House is very conveniently located to everything. We arrived by car and parked in the premises and never needed to take the car out again, until we left. The beach is a minute away, the restaurants are 5 minutes away (Whispers, Black Trumpet, and a lovely fish grill place in town 7 minutes away), and the town is 7 minutes away. In short, everthing is walking distance from this conveniently located place.

4) FOOD
The breakfast is a nice spread - delicious eggs (on one day we had scrambled and the other we had a kind of quiche version, which was awesome), tasty french toast with some great coffee! Another review mentioned the fact that the fruit is from 'a tin'. Well it's actually a mix, some is fresh and some is indeed 'from a tin' - if this bothers you.

ABOUT SPRING LAKE

My finance' and I were looking for a quiet getaway for 3-4 days and I took it upon myself (for a change, I am sure my fiance' would say!) to organize a nice holiday for us. My initial search was for a property in Cape May, but it seemed everything 'good' had been booked up. This may have had to do with the fact that this was a last minute holiday. In any case, based on the reviews, Cape May didn't seem to be 'all that' and opinion on the accomodations there seemed to be fairly negative with comments such as "run-down, no value-4-money" etc.

I turned my attention to Spring Lake, which seemed to have nicer accomodations and they were also available. After some searching I settled on the Ocean House - despite the mixed reviews - it seemed they were focusing on things which didn't seem that important to me- i.e. one individual claimed that he wasn't allowed to cancel his reservation (though this was the clearly stated policy).

In summary Spring Lake is lovely town, which has the following attractions 1) quiet and quaint 2) lovely NON COMMERCIAL beach 3) beautiful lake 3) pretty town 4) conveniently located - 1.5 hrs from NYC...and Ocean House is a wonderful place to enjoy it.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

My husband and I arrived at Spring Lake by train,we phoned Ocean House looking for directions by foot and the owner Dennis offered to pick us up, which he did, and was chatty and told us a little of the town's background. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful with respect to recommending a restaurant that evening-a good start.

It went downhill from there.
We knew our room had 2 single beds as we booked late. We were unprepared for how old and creaky the beds were, each turn that night created a lot of noise. There was also a rail at the end of the bed preventing us from lying completely straight (we are 5ft 9-11)

We discovered the beds' faults after our main problem.
We realised that night when we returned home from an excellent meal at the nearby Whispers restaurant that there were no curtains in the 2 windows!!! just a 'privacy' pattern on the window, when my husband asked Nancy for towels, she handed him some tea towels to hang over the window, and did not apologise. These did not begin to cover the windows, we wanted a full nights sleep and did not want to be awoken by bright morning light.

When I went back down to ask for larger towels (now ignored by Dennis who prior to our complaint had been so friendly), she huffed and said they would break the curtain rail (a cheap plastic rod), and requested we return the smaller towels before we received the larger ones, she then reluctantly agreed to meet us in our room to hang makeshift thin curtains. We wonder would we have received the same treatment if we were 60 years old instead of 30 years old.

The service we received was unacceptable considering the money we spent on accommodation, the breakfast was also poor, with tinned fruit, and barely drinkable OJ.

The wrap around porch was the nicest feature of this B&B.
We were made feel quite uncomfortable by the owners for the rest of our stay. Unfortunately, the initial warm welcome turned frosty once we made a complaint, not the attitude we would have expected to encounter in Spring lake. Luckily the beach nearby made our days enjoyable.

I would not recommend staying in this B&B.

• Liked — Location, wrap around porch
  • Disliked — Rudeness of hosts
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2006

Have just returned from three days at Ocean House in Spring Lake. The B & B was enchanting from first viewing without being pretentious. It was like stepping into the F.Scott Fitzgerald era where we should all wear white, have straw hats and play croquet.

We were greeted by Nancy and Dennis, the owners of the inn. Our vacation was marred by three days of downpouring rain and we had no car at our disposal. Nancy and Dennis were our heroes and rescuers. We were chauffered to dinner, we were driven to another town on a rainy Sunday where we could poke around and have a lovely time, driven to the train station - they made reservations for us and made us feel totally at home.

The rooms were charming, the place immaculately clean, the breakfasts were delicious, coffee and tea was always available to be had on this magnificent wrap-around porch. The people working there as well as all the people in town, were sweet and helpful. A shopkeeper even offered us (total strangers) the use of her car for a couple of hours not knowing that we don't drive. The inn is one block from the ocean where despite the weather we did dip our toes into the water and walked on a commercial-less boardwalk - how wonderful.

The restaurants in town were some of the highest quality food I have ever eaten and I have travelled quite a bit.

I highly recommend Spring Lake and I most highly recommend the Ocean House. Without Nancy and Dennis we might have had a miserable time due to the weather. They turned it into an enchanting time. We will definitely be back.

• Liked — Location, owners, staff
  • Disliked — The weather!!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Just go
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2006

My husband and I have been going to The Ocean House since it has been taken over by Nancy and Dennis Kaloostian. They do a wonderful job of making everyone feel at home in their home. Everyone is very hospitable and friendly. There are bikes to ride, chairs for the beach, towels, and a great breakfast. The wrap around porch is delightful all day and into the evening.
All of the rooms are decorated so lovely and each has it own bathroom.
We always have a good time, you will too.
Maybe we will see you, Regina and Don, Ridgefield, NJ

Stayed July 2006
HARRINGTON PARK, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2006

I simply had to share with your readers that the Ocean House Bed & Breakfast is a truly a wonderful place to stay.

My husband and I have been vacationing at the Jersey Shore for quite a few years. Being quite the adventurous types, we had rarely stayed at the same Bed & Breakfast twice. That is, until we happened upon the Ocean House in the quaint, oceanfront town of Spring Lake.

For the past 5 years, Nancy & Dennis, the Innkeepers of this fabulously charming, historically preserved, Bed and Breakfast Hotel, have delighted us over and over again with their impeccable hospitality, well coiffed, clean and comfortable room accommodations and bountiful breakfast spreads.

We are always guaranteed lots of laughter, memories and a reservation in our favorite room (#16), for our next excursion to the shore!

• Liked — Hospitality, Comfort, Value
  • Disliked — Parking Lot fills up quickly
  • Tips/Secrets — Weekdays have less traffic at the shore
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

I would not recommend this property unless you enjoy abuse. I did not even stay at this Inn, but based on the way I was treated during the reservation process, I would NEVER consider it.
I made a reservation for 3 rooms in June of 2006 to stay in August of 2006. I had to cancel my reservation and was told that I had to pay $50 per room plus tax for the cancellation. The cancellation policy listed in their reservation form was that there is a $50 fee - no mention of per room or tax. I contacted the hotel to dispute the charge and the owner of the Inn (Nancy) got on the phone and yelled at me. She said that is their policy and I would be charged that amount. She told me that I was told of this policy at the time of booking (which I was not) and I explained that the policy is not listed as such in their documentation and I did not feel it was fair to charge me per room and tax. I told her that I would have to dispute the charge with my credit card company. She screamed at me that I was selfish and hung up the phone.
I should note that I was canceling my rooms almost a month in advance and my reservation was for a weekend in August which is prime season for this property. I doubt she will have any problems renting the rooms to someone else in that amount of time. I am appalled that the owner of this establishment would treat any customer or prospective customer in this way. Again, if you are looking for a place to stay in Spring Lake, NJ – I don’t think this is a place you should consider. There are several other options (like the Beacon House) that will treat you with dignity and respect.

Stayed June 2006

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!