“WORTH A VISIT” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jersey Avenue
Transit: Local Monmouth County bus service runs on 3rd Avenue. Taxi service readily available. NJ Transit train Station for Spring Lake within walking distance.
Description: Pastaio is the Italian word for "pasta maker" which reflects our Chef's experience working as Pastaio for restaurants in New York including Eataly, where she would turn out roughly 3,000 pounds weekly. We now bring fresh handmade pasta daily to the Jersey Shore incorporating the freshest seasonal ingredients to our menu that changes each week. At Pastaio we strive to support our local produce, fish and meat, purveyors on an organic and sustainable basis. Our Menu reflects our kitchen staff experience with classical french training and the bounty of the Garden State. We are proud to utilize Pat LaFrieda Meats of New York for our meat and poultry. Ask about having your next event in our Private Party Room which can accommodate up to 50. Gluten Free Meatballs and fresh Gluten Free Pasta Available.
Hillsborough, New Jersey
“WORTH A VISIT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Pastaio is a nice, local restaurant in Spring Lake. Although a bit overpriced, the food was very good and the service was excellent. The only drawback was the seating. Pastaio is not a big place and is on the loud side. We were seated directly behind a small wall near the door. The table next to us was so close we might as well have had dinner with the couple next to us. Also, there was a very large party seated directly behind us adding to the noise and tightness of space. They should have sat small parties in the room next store where there seemed to be ample space. I would definitely go back while I'm in the area.

Visited July 2013

“Don't waste your evening!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went here for dinner last night( tues. 8:00 reserv.) waited an hour for bread and water and another half hour after that for app. The restaurant was 3/4 full but it seems like the owner does all the cooking herself and she deffinately cannot handle it. I had the crostini app which was nothing to speak of and my husband had the zucchini blossoms which were good.
For dinner u had the salmon and was cold and my husband had the surf (shrimp)and turf which was ok that was after waitng until 10:00 to get it. The service was terrible. No one came over to us to to offer an apology for the wait. We asked 3 times for bread and water and finally got it after an hour even waiting for the check took almost 30 minutes after we asked for it 2 times. Then we made the mistake of paying cash and our change took another 15 minutes to come. We did notice that other diners around us all were having the same problems we were having. I can't see anyone coming here more than once (even if you ignore the bad reviews like I did) sorry to say but she needs alot of help in kitchen and dining room. Don't say you weren't warned!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Essex Fells, New Jersey
“There Should Be a Line Outside Waiting to Get In!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Spring Lake is a special town and Pastaio is a special restaurant. Freshly made pasta in authentic sauces will transport you from this upscale beach town to a trattoria in Italy. Mind you, this is not typical New Jersey Italian-American pasta (not that there is anything wrong with that,) It is perfectly made hand-crafted pasta served properly al dente. The Bolognese sauce is just as good as I've had in fine restaurants in Tuscany and Emilia-Romagna. The sauce flavorful and meaty as a Bolognese should be, with the taste of the pasta still coming through. The mozzarella-tomato tower appetizer is a tribute to the cheese and local Jersey tomatoes. The restaurant features authentic Italian gelato, much better than can be had at shore ice cream parlors--on par with what you find in Florence. I had warm and efficient service and the only thing I felt that could have heightened my experience would be to offer bread with the appetizer and pasta. Yes, Pastaio is not cheap--there are plenty of options around the shore for inexpensive, but ordinary, pasta. Hard to fathom the negative reviews mixed in with very favorable ones, seems a bit bipolar, and if Pastaio is bipolar I caught them on the "high" end of the scale both times I've been there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Freehold, New Jersey, United States
“A pasta paradise, small & intimate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great fresh homemade pasta, stuffed zucchini flowers as light as clouds. The pasta was so very good we shared gnocchi as a desert. Light and airy a true test for a pasta maker.
BYOB so spend your money on a nice wine.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Unapologetically slow to a fault”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

When we walked in and I saw the deep lovely green walls framed by all the many pigs, I anticipated it would be a humble and creative homey meal. Unfortunately, we struggled from the start to get any attention from the oblivious waitstaff who did not seem to understand or care that we wanted our wine opened and glasses to drink it out of. I had to get up to get my own menus and getting bread was a feat of near exhaustion. The bread, when it finally came was a meager serving of about five pieces that the staff expected eight people to share. It was not particularly good either-- dry and seemingly stale. This was merely the beginning of an extraordinarily disappointing meal. More than anything, it was the attitude of the staff that nothing was wrong with their service.. After waiting an hour , perhaps longer to get our meals, no one apologized for the excessive amount of time we had to wait. There is a definite large problem here with organization and planning. I understand that fresh food takes time, but this was extreme-- and no compensation was even offered. They might have provided us with some complimentary appetizers, breadsticks --- anything really to help us with the excessive wait for our dinner. It is really a shame because the food itself has potential for success.. This restaurant needs some organization, management and social skills training . All in all it was a truly disappointing experience even though the food was of good quality.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere