“Beautiful and Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Carbondale, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful and Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The Hewitt Wellington is a charming and beautiful place to stay. The complementary breakfast is very nice, and the staff is extremely friendly and makes you feel right at home. I'm sure we will be back again next summer for another great stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our Anniversary getaway to Spring Lake. The weather was perfect and the hotel is on the lake, close to the beach. While the property itself is lovely, we were disappointed given the price we paid for the room. Things like plastic plates, cups and tableware for breakfast and the quality of the breakfast (poor at best) made that part of the experience feel more like a Days Inn than a top hotel. While there is a coffee maker in the room, the coffee supply was not replenished for our second morning. The bathroom could definitely use an upgrade and a thorough bleaching of the tiles. On the plus side, the pool is very nice, and I enjoyed a solitary swim after returning from the beach. We might return, but only during the off season when the price would be more commensurate with the level of service.

Room Tip: We booked late, so had a room on the back of the second floor overlooking the pool. As you don'...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review your stay. I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your time in Spring Lake. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the breakfast area. We would love to offer our guests china plates and real silverware, however with not having a kitchen, we do not have the means to handle the cleaning of those items.
I certainly hope that you will continue to stay with us during your visits to Spring Lake. Please feel free to call or email me directly should you have any other concerns.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

When they serviced our suite one day, they didn't bother to clean the ring around the tub. Bath towels are dingy. Breakfast is terrible and still Entenmann's, bagels very stale, coffee weak, all served in an unattractive gloomy area. One afternoon tea was a pitcher of powdered ice tea mix and a few crackers with cheese. The next day, they didn't even bother putting anything out.
Their food/drink service is a shame since their "upscale" Whispers restaurant is on the premise, so they have the facility to provide better for their guests.
Will not return and I'll spend my $400 per night elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
I am sorry that you were not pleased with your recent stay with us. The housekeeping situation is not acceptable and will be handled immediately.
With regard to the breakfast and afternoon snack we offer our guests, we do not own Whispers and therefore do not have access to their facilities. In that regard, we offer what we are able to for the light continental breakfast however the freshness of our supplies is important and will also be addressed. We would love to offer our guests a more upscale breakfast and afternoon snack, we just do not have the facilities to do so.
Please feel free to call or email me directly should you have any other concerns or questions you would like to discuss.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the last couple of years. It used to be a pretty good place, but the latest visit makes me think it has gone downhill. Perks like the afternoon tea and snacks are gone. Breakfast, which was not fancy to begin with, is now down to the barest of minimum. Nothing has been updated for years. The towels in the rooms are worn and grey, the beach ones are 100% polyester. The tiny shampoo and conditioner bottles were never replenished during our 3-night stay. The reception is attended spottily. I had to call and find someone both times, once at check in, the other at check out. The beach badges they give you need to be turned in when you check out, so if you still want to use the beach on that day, you will pay $10 per person for a daily pass. Overall, the penny pinching and staff indifference are so apparent that I will look for another place to stay next time I visit Spring Lake. The rates are the same as other inns in the area, but the quality and value are simply not there any more.

• Stayed June 2014
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
I'm sorry that you were unhappy with your stay this time. There were certainly ways that we could have made it more enjoyable for you and I can assure you that not replenishing your shampoo and conditioner if they were empty was not a penny pinching factor but simply an oversight on housekeeping which will be addressed. We have been ordering the same items for breakfast as we did in years past so I am not quite sure what is missing from it. The towels are purchased periodically through the year and old / worn towels are thrown away or cut into cleaning towels. I will certainly go through all of our current towels and make sure that we are discarding any that may have become worn in the past couple of months. There is someone working the front desk from 7am until generally around 9-10pm daily. They do sometimes have to assist other guests or may be in the process of cleaning up breakfast or even assisting housekeeping to get rooms cleaned as quickly as possible for arriving guests.
The beach badges do need to be returned at check out so we can make sure that we have all of them for our newly arriving guests. We try to get our guests checked in as early as possible so they can start enjoying their time with us and part of that check in is beach badges.
Really the only thing that changed from years past is afternoon tea which we didn't run last year. We did do snacks on the weekends like cheese and crackers, chips and salsa, lemonade, etc. To be honest, it was not a cost saving measure this year, it just didn't seem like the times we put it out anyone was interested and food was being wasted. Obviously I was wrong in that assessment and I apologize for that.
I would certainly love for you to call or email me to discuss anything further. I would also hate to lose your business as you have seemingly been a regular customer of ours. I do hope to hear back from you.
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Hotel is charming and clean. Very relaxing atmosphere. Staff was friendly and attentive. We went down for a last minute getaway and were perfectly happy with the accommodations. The breakfast isn't worth getting up for but the coffee was delicious. Pool area was clean and inviting. 2 thumbs up for the Hewitt Wellington. I will definitely be going back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm so glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us and hopefully you will be able to join us again. We do our best with the breakfast but it is a bit tough to offer more items for us.
I hope we get to visit with you again soon.

San jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

The building itself is glamorous but the rooms, amenities and breakfast are about like a 2 star motel. The staff were nice but you can't ask a staff person to fix what was lacking. I'll find a better place to stay next time in spring lake.

• Stayed June 2014
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay and I'm sorry it was not what you had wanted. With regard to breakfast, as we do not have a kitchen, we are limited to a light continental breakfast. I would love to be able to offer more for our guests.
Your room specifically was updated during the off season with a new sofa, chairs, carpeting and paint. Were there other items throughout the hotel that you weren't pleased with? I would love to speak with you in depth regarding this as we are always looking for ways to improve and the best advice we can get is from our guests.
I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

East Rutherford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay at the Hewitt Wellington while attending a wedding reception nearby. The building is lovingly maintained and the staff was wonderful. We stayed in room 28, which has a separate sitting room, perfect for when you wake up earlier than your spouse! The bed was super comfy, just a really lovely room. I can absolutely recommend that you stay at the Hewitt Wellington. A perfect getaway!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to visiting with you again.

Been to Hewitt Wellington? Share your experiences!