“Peace and quiet on the lake and beach” 4 of 5 stars

Hewitt Wellington
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Monmouth Ave., Spring Lake, NJ 07762   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Morgantown, Pennsylvania
“Peace and quiet on the lake and beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

This was a quiet retreat for us and we're glad there are still a few towns (not many) that provide that for those of us who crave that in this noisy, fast world. We came on Easter weekend to celebrate our anniversary for 2 nights and 3 days through a Travelzoo offer (we hope they offer that again)! We stayed in a king room...very comfortable bed (Room 6, second floor) and we'd definitely stay again. It overlooked the lake on a covered balcony and the beach was only a couple blocks away. This hotel does not have an elevator, so there are steps to climb. There is a small frig, which is nice. It is an older place and of course, there were some issues, but they didn't override the good experience. Staff was great. Continental breakfast was just adequate. If you want a great seafood place try Mr. Shrimp's....it is close and reasonably priced. Do not go to Windmill Restaurant....you'd do better at a McDonald's....overpriced for poor quality burgers. For years, we have gone to the southern Jersey shore...not anymore...this is our new go-to shore trip from now on!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
I'm so glad that you had a nice stay with us and have found you new place to relax. Not only do we have deals with Travelzoo, we also post specials on our website for you. I would definitely recommend taking a look on the site periodically for any updates.
Can't wait to see you again, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Greater Metro NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

My delightful experience with this property started when I made my reservation with Kathy. I wanted a quiet few days down the shore to recover from chemo - and as my husband couldn't take time off work, I would be alone. Kathy very kindly suggested a room on the second floor overlooking the lake with a covered balcony so I could still enjoy the view regardless of the weather. It was the perfect choice! The room was light, airy and fairly large for a shore hotel room. The property sits in a quiet setting on the lake and just a few short blocks either to the beach or the Spring Lake shopping district. Kathy and the rest of the team were very helpful at making suggestions for local eateries, etc. I felt very safe traveling alone. I really liked having the small fridge in the room for beverages and left overs. While I spent my days at the beach, the pool looked lovely and I look forward to using it when we return this year. I also didn't have the chance to dine in the hotel restaurant this visit, but hope to soon. I found this hotel the perfect combination for me - not as small as a little B & B, but much more intimate than a chain; a staff that cares and is helpful and pleasant without being overbearing or intrusive; and amenities perfect for a few lazy days at the beach. There aren't really a lot of nice hotels to choose from in the area - and the ones you might find tend to be dated, noisy, unkempt and although maybe more affordable, that also means there's often 6 or more "kids' to a room. I definitely consider the Hewitt Wellington more appealing to the discerning traveler.

Room Tip: If you make reservations online, feel free to call the property to discuss room options that suit yo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
I'm so glad that you were able to visit with us and relax for a bit. I appreciate your kind words about the staff and have made sure that they know about them. I am lucky to have a great supporting team and we try to make every guests stay as perfect as we can.

We hope to see you again soon for another dose of relaxation.

Summit, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Excellent suite with lake view. Appreciated the continental breakfast. Friendly and accommodating staff. Two things about Room 11 : carpeting needs to be replaced (which was mentioned when we checked in); lots of dust under the bed.
Wonderful that Whispers is right down the hall.

Room Tip: If you like privacy, views and space, choose Room 11 or 15.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. I'm happy to announce that the new carpet is set to be installed May 5th. I also discussed with the staff about the under the bed dust and it has been added to their room cleaning checklist to make sure things are as they should be.
We look forward to seeing you again and can't wait to show you the completed room updates.

North Plainfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We spent two nights and three days at this hotel. Unfortunately very cold, so not so pleasant weather. But the accommodations were lovely. Our room overlooked the lake, stocked with trout, along with mallards and a swan and a walking path all the way around. We were greeted by Kathy, always smiling and ready to help. The room was large with big windows and a grand view.
The hotel comes with a restaurant, Whispers. Delicious food with great service, we were very pleased. A bit pricey but well worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. I'm sorry we couldn't get the weather to cooperate but hopefully the next time you visit with us it will be sunshine and rainbows the whole time.
Looking forward to seeing you again!

Patchogue, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Kathy called me early at home the day we were to arrive to let me know our room was ready early! In person she was warm and efficient. Suite 15 is beautiful an exceeded our expectations. Overlooking the Spring Lake with the ocean in the distance.Relaxing, elegant and not too far from home.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for taking time to let me know about your stay. We love being able to call guests and let them get checked in early whenever possible. Our goal is for you to spend as much time as you can relaxing in our town and enjoying yourselves.

Hope to see you again soon!

Bridgeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We certainly do not come home every day to a grand old hotel, but we do come home to family, Staying at the Hewitt Wellington is like coming home to family. I feel so well taken care of when I visit there. One time they even let me know when there was a cancellation because they knew I was interested in that particular date. They always add some update to the rooms every year. This year it is new carpet. The yard and gardens are always beautiful. And the location is across the street from the lake and a block from the ocean. Breakfast is average, but there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. We like Ray's, especially on Wednesday which is Sinatra night and Friday which is jazz night. The hotel also has an upscale restaurant, Whisper's.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
It was great seeing you again as well and we're so glad that you consider coming here like coming home. That is exactly what we hope to achieve with all our guests. Hopefully we will get to see you again soon!

rockville centre
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just stayed at the Hewitt Wellington and had a wonderful time! From the moment we walked we felt so comfortable and welcomed by Kathy. We had a first floor suite that was right by the door to the porch. We enjoyed sitting on the porch with the wine and cheese that was supplied to us. For dinner we went to the restaurant in the Inn - Whispers. Whispers was very romantic and the service and food was great! I so look forward to going there again!

Room Tip: We did like our room - Room 18.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. Glad that you were able to come and relax with us. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Been to Hewitt Wellington? Share your experiences!