“Fine stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Rye
“Fine stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked late and were in room 17 on the third floor, so one of the smaller rooms without a view. Small and plain but clean and comfortable, with a big bathroom. Cool a/c, quiet room and quiet hotel, comfy bed, nice TV. Not fancy but very nice and we would stay there again. We love the HW's location. We skipped breakfast, which is not an important part of the experience for us anyway.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I'm glad we were able to be a last minute retreat for you. Hopefully you were able to relax and enjoy the beach and the town. It really is a great place to be.
I hope we will see you again soon for a visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Hewitt Wellington and as always we found the staff and management to be great. There was a recent change in management and the new team was excellent, even ordering pizza one Sat afternoon for the guests. Specifically, Kathy did a great job of greeting us and making us feel "at home". I read one review below noting that the pool was not serviced and there were babies in the pool without "swimmies". I stayed during that same week and at no time did I see children/babies in the pool without proper swimming attire/swimmies and the pool was also serviced during our stay- not sure if the reviewer posted a review on the wrong hotel. One area of improvement, I must say is the breakfast which is overall poor. I would recommend more locally produced fresh baked goods and pastry as opposed to generic entenmann's goods. I would suggest either improving the breakfast options or doing away with it all together.... The bottom-line, if you are looking for the best family friendly hotel option in Spring Lake and a super clean, charming place to stay, the Hewitt Wellington is your choice but if you are looking for an ultra luxurious modern hotel then you should really look to avoid most of the Jersey shore towns...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I'm glad you had such a nice time with us. I also want to thank you for your suggestions on improving the breakfast. It is certainly something I can research and see what they have to offer.
Hopefully we will see you again soon!

North Conway, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

From the moment we arrived until we walked out the door, we enjoyed every minute of this gorgeous inn. The staff bent over backwards to accommodate our every need and then some! The breakfast and snacks were delicious, the room so comfortable, not a sound at night, loved the parlor and front porch. The Hewitt Wellington really knows about service!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review. We love being here and making sure our guests are happy with their stay. We hope to see you back again soon. There's still plenty of time in the season for another visit.
Rutherford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had another wonderful week at the Wellington---Our rooms were immaculate-the pool fabulous and the staff wonderful-Peter-Nicole-Kelly and the cleaning staff all are so friendly--efficient and made our stay special and relaxing---

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We were happy to have you and your family back again. See you next year if not sooner!!!
Dover, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We used the hotel as a" home away from home" for our son's wedding. Kathy and her staff made our stay ever so pleasant and accommodated our every need. We were able to use the common areas to work on wedding projects and visit with family. The highlight was the use of the porches, grounds, and stairway for the photos of the groomsmen. Centrally located, we could walk to the church as well as the rehearsal party, the beach, and shopping areas. Our balcony room had splendid views and a wonderful breeze and was a favorite gathering spot. All of the four rooms booked for the wedding weekend were excellent and I would indeed recommend the Hewitt Wellington to all.

Room Tip: Room 06 with the second floor large porch and view of Spring Lake
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I can assure you that we had as much fun with your family as you had with ours. Everyone looked amazing on the day of the wedding and it was certainly our pleasure to host you. We can't wait to see everyone back here for the anniversaries!
Ho-Ho-Kus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Spent July21, 2013, at the Hewitt Wellington. The hotel is lovely, historic and in a really fantastic location, adjacent to the lake, 3 short blocks to beach or town. Room furnishing was adequate, could be spruced up more, continental breakfast was poor, coffee undrinkable. For a beautiful hotel like this they should provide a better quality breakfast, doesn't have to be fancy, but good quality.The restaurant Whispers, although not technically affiliated with the hotel, was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know how your stay was. I appreciate your kind words about your stay overall. I'm sorry that our breakfast did not seem up to par for you and we are always looking for new ideas to make the breakfast better for our guests. We have recently added the fruit and baked goods to enhance our products. We will keep looking for new and better items and if you have any suggestions, please feel free to call or email me. You may just be the one with the winning idea.

We hope to see you again soon.
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Nice shore hotel.

The room came with 2 beach passes. Either we lost one or the check in clerk only gave us one, nobody knows for sure.

I offered to split the price of the lost pass, paying half in cash and accepting a credit toward a future stay for their half. The hotel manager said "no". I ultimately offered to pay the entire cost ($105) if they'd let us use the pool on our next day trip to the shore. This also was refused. When I asked what the hotel was willing to do to work with us on this, the answer was "nothing".

There are plenty of shore hotels just as nice where management is interested in working with guests when problems occur. Next time I'll stay at one of them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Mr. Maltby,
It is certainly not that we don't want to try to work with guests when things go wrong and I am sorry that the offer I made in the last email exchange was not acceptable to you. Though I did not hear back from you after that email, I do intend on honoring the resolution I informed you of.
I do hope that in the future you would reconsider staying with us, but if you are set against that, I am at least happy that you were able to stop back at the hotel to retrieve your companion’s musical instrument. I’m sure realizing that was missing caused a moment of panic and I’m glad we were able to retrieve that for you.
Please feel free to call or email me should you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Been to Hewitt Wellington? Share your experiences!