“Escape from Sandy in early November” 3 of 5 stars

Hewitt Wellington
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Monmouth Ave., Spring Lake, NJ 07762   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Fair Haven, New Jersey
“Escape from Sandy in early November”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Hewitt Wellington offered us a safe haven from no power in the days following Sandy when my husband was recovering from a recent surgery. We had always wanted to try Whispers, so when we learned of availability at the hotel we jumped at the chance to book the last available room. Our stay, although off season, was very comfortable and pleasant. I can only imagine how delightful the experience would have been during the Spring and summer months. In addition, having Whispers at the hotel was an added bonus. Dinner was very good and we look forward to returning with friends for dinner.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake with balconies are really special and help capture the overall Spring Lak...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HWMgr, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent stay!

The storm was an unfortunate event for many in our immediate area, and along the coast, and in New York. We were very fortunate to open our doors to those in need, and we are very pleased to know that you found solace at the hotel, and were able to escape, even if for a few short days.

Whispers is a great addition to our property, and we are very happy to have them as a business partner.

Also, thank you for providing a room tip, as it allows future guest to pick their own particular room, or have a returning guest try something new.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experiences. Have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

For many years we have dined at Whispers restaurant which is attached to the Hewitt Wellington and wondered what is was like but since we live nearby we never stayed. Then Sandy hit the shore area and we had no power. Thankfully there was a room available and we loved it! The rooms are gorgeous, very luxurious and they leave nothing to be desired. Bill at the front desk was so helpful and accommodating, he is just great. We have been telling all our out of town friends and relatives that if they want to stay at a beautiful, well run hotel, this is the place and Whispers is excellent for dining.

• Stayed November 2012
HWMgr, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent stay!

We were very sorry to hear that you had some misfortune during the storm, but we are very happy to always welcome you into our home. During time of need, or during time of joy.

Under the circumstances, we are still very happy to hear that you were able to take your mind off of things, relax, and prepare for your arrival back home during these times.

Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

To my husband and I, the Hewitt Wellington will always be a little slice of Heaven! We stayed here on the night of our Engagement 11/19/2011 and chose to block our rooms here as well for our wedding celebration. I stayed at the Wellington a total of 3 nights (10/11/12 - 10/14/12) and every day was better than the one before. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time I was there. I stayed in room 8 which had excellent views. It was comfortable, CLEAN, convenient and the hotel created memories for me that will last a lifetime. For almost one year I dealt with the manager Bill and he was extremely professional and friendly and accommodating. He did everything for my guests - he allowed for early check ins for the elders and moved rooms around for those with babies and special situations. There is not one bad thing I can say. Whether I called him or emailed him I had an answer within the matter of a few hours. The hotel is taken care of and it shows. The bathrooms are modern, the drapes and the linens all stylist and welcoming. Even though it is 2012 it still maintains that old fashioned charm without feeling "old". The breakfast and coffee is also an excellent bonus in the morning. you can walk to the beach, walk around town. it is perfectly located in Spring Lake. I cannot speak on behalf of my guests but all were thrilled and felt like they were on vacation far far away even though everyone lived within one hour of the Jersey Shore. I will definitely return to this hotel and highly suggest it to anyone who is looking for a special getaway or for a room block for your Jersey Shore Wedding. THANKS TO ALL OF THE HEWITT WELLINGTON STAFF - I will never forget how good you were to me, my family and my guests. You hold a special place in my heart!

Room Tip: Room 8 has spectacular views and decor!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent stay.

It is our pleasure to have assisted you through the entire process of your memorable weekend. From beginning to end. From engagement to nuptials, it was our honor to make sure that your experience was as pleasant, enjoyable, and magnificent as possible.

We always strive to make sure that each person, their wedding party, and family always have the greatest time during a wedding weekend. It is a time that everyone will always reflect on happily in the future, and we are very happy to be a part of that. Weddings can be a very hectic engagement to plan, and we try to make sure that we are always here, step by step, to make sure that everything occurs as it should be: issue free, and full of great times.

On behalf of The Hewitt Wellington, we wish the both of you a lifetime of happiness and love, and hopefully you will visit us on your anniversary!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The balcony was perfect. We got there in the late afternoon and enjoyed a drink while overlooking the lake. The room was clean and the bed may have been the most comfortable I have ever experienced. We ate dinner at Whispers which was conveniently attached to the hotel. It was a top 5 dining experience as my wife and I love to eat quality food and this place was incredible. Service was also very friendly.

Room Tip: I suggest Room 14 because of the balcony.
Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent stay!

We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed the balcony, and utilized it to its full potential. It is a very popular amenity within the property, and we're glad that you were able to enjoy it for an evening.

We're also glad that you enjoyed dinner, and would hope you can return soon, and hopefully in the Summer to enjoy the town, and beaches as well.

Thank you for providing a room tip, also. It allows future guests to pick and choose each room to their liking and needs.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Great location; beautiful accommodations; warm, professional staff. Felt like Victorian royalty. Every part of this beautiful hotel echoes of a grand era of civility and grace. Very affordable with great shopping and dining only blocks away and a pristine beach just as close.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for sharing the details of your recent stay!

It is very kind of you to be such a vocal and outspoken admirer of the hotel, and recognizing its civility and grace. We have a great staff that works very hard to make sure that the old world charm is maintained, and enhanced for each and every guest.

We are also very lucky to have such a great town to call home, and welcome guests every season.

Paramus, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My in-laws stayed here many years ago and loved it. My wife and I figured it would be a nice overnight trip for us to celebrate my b-day. We arrived and were greeted by Bill at the front desk. He provided all of the necessary hotel information but was not very warm or inviting. He seemed more robotic. He took us to our room which included a private balcony. It was the highlight of our stay as we enjoyed sitting under the moon & stars later that night. The room itself was okay. It seemed clean at first but after further inspection (on day 2), we noticed the return vent in the ceiling wasn't clean (see picture). Plus the drapery/curtain in the bathroom looked like it hadn't been washed in months (dust, hair, etc.). The pressure in the shower was non-existent and our queen bed rocked when anyone moved to adjust their sleeping position. Needless to say, we didn't get a good night sleep. We went downstairs the next day to have breakfast (which was included). Typical continental b-fast, nothing special. I suggest they include an egg and pancake/waffle option in the future so you feel you're getting some value.

We departed after our b-fast disappointed in our stay. The only real benefit I can see is the location of this place. Its right on the lake and close to the beach and Point Pleasant (15 minute drive). Other then that, it was very average (especially for the price in off season)

Room Tip: Make sure you don't lose your room key as it costs $400 to replace!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HWMgr, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent stay!

We're all very happy to hear that you have had the chance to experience the property in a way that your family members had enjoyed it at one point during their travels. Especially enjoying the private balcony to see the stars!

In regards to your comments about my "robotic" state. I am sorry if you felt I was not warm or inviting. I truly believe in a consistent delivery of information and amenities. Sometimes, I may take for granted the conjectures of certain guests, and for that I apologize. I take guest's perceptions very seriously, and I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. One thing I am very cognizant of is the expectations guests have for their upcoming stays, my perceived expectations of your desires, and I did not do a very good job at closing those gaps in perception. I will rethink that analysis in future deliveries of experiences.

I take full responsibility for the upkeep of the vents and returns of our air systems. I did have the cleaning of all the vents scheduled, but then had pushed that to a later date in order to accomplish other pressing tasks on property. For that, I do apologize. We take the cleanliness and general upkeep of the property very seriously, and we strive to make sure all guests feel comfortable, and surrounded by pristine amenities.

We appreciate your in-depth review, and thoughtful comments. We will heed your review, and make sure we accomplish all that we have set out to do in a more timely manner.

New Milford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Family members have stayed here for years but this was our first try. Great place! Fantastic environment. We had room 1, two room suite. Continental breakfast was really all you need. Great coffee machine, Starbucks freshly ground on demand coffee. Will be back.

Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent stay!

We're all very glad to hear that you had finally experienced the wonderful property just as your family members have in the past. Now, you all having something to share amongst your travels!

Yes, our Starbucks Interactive brewer is a very popular amenity of our property. All the coffee you want, at the press of a button!

Once again, thank you for sharing your experiences. Have a great day!

Been to Hewitt Wellington? Share your experiences!