“Yes Kiddies There Really Is A Bates Motel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Doolan's

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
Doolan's
You added Doolan's to your Saves list
700 Rte. 71, Spring Lake, NJ 07762   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Yes Kiddies There Really Is A Bates Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

went there with my boyfriend with a travelzoo voucher, ( maybe that is why we were treated like Honey Boo Boo's grandparents). Keys were thrown at us, Was told that our room was behind dumpster. Walked up 3 flights of very damaged steps. Room was scary!!! Missing light bulbs, an unknown balcony above beds!!!!!. Not very clean! Our voucher included a "date night meal". We were not told to make reservations. When we inquired we were very nastily told to be there at 5. Table was by kitchen! Now their clientele are seniors. This is appalling! The hotel needs repairs & the staff needs customer service training! Skip this place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Susan0700, Owner at Doolan's, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We truly value the opinions of all our guests. Over the last two years we have done many renovations to improve our venue. The focus of the first phase of our renovations was on the restaurant and banquet facility.

We have now begun the second phase which focuses on our guest rooms. We have just completed the first 16 rooms with each room decorated in a different beach theme. The pool level rooms are currently being remodeled and will be 75 percent completed by Memorial Day weekend. Many will be expanded to become mini suites. We do apologize for the dumpster in the back of the building, but we are working hard to finish the project before the summer.

We have also reviewed your comments with both our housekeeping and front office staff. Our front office staff is trained to be both professional and courteous to all of our guests and we have always received positive feedback in this area. The owners’ office is in the same space as the guest check in and under our watchful eyes. No receptionist would ever “throw keys” to a guest who is checking in. Our criteria for hiring front office staff encompasses a pleasant disposition as well as experience.

We appreciate the business of every guest. We are a facility that houses an a la carte restaurant, a banquet facility and over 50 guest rooms. Doolan’s Shore Club has been in operation for over 50 years as a family run business. We are fortunate to have a very strong local following. Accordingly, the weekend of your stay we had many events: a baptism, a communion, a charity event, date night with Sinatra music, a wedding and a 50th High School Reunion.

While you feel seniors are “appalling”, it was our pleasure to hold this special event at our facility and we hope to have their 55th reunion. We look forward to all 20,30,40,50,60,70,80 year old clients that will stay here with us.

Susan and Joanie Doolan

PS We forgot to mention the families and 90 year old clients too.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New Windsor, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We went back to Doolans for a weekend and had another great time. We had a superb dinner at the restaurant both nights. This time the room was a bit smaller but it was clean. The staff was courteous and helpful as usual.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Had my wedding here, and as a wedding venue it CAN NOT be beat. The food is awesome, the people are accomodating and it was just PERFECT- truly... The hotel portion needs a little bit of help.... If you stay in one of the more expensive rooms on the inside lobby area, there are no complaints.... However, the rooms with doors on the outside (motel style) even though they are clean, they are very very outdated. I was a little bit embarassed when I saw some of the rooms my wedding guests received after traveling so far, and spending so much on the rooms...... My room was gorgeous and bright, but the poolside rooms weren't the best :( Would stay again in a heartbeat if I had one of the suites....Would recommend as a wedding venue to ANY bride... Just needs an update on the other rooms. restaurant is great too.. Have come back for dinner several times since the wedding.

Room Tip: Any room you need to walk up the grand staircase to get to is very nice... Outside access rooms need...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The RHS Class of '67 just had our 2nd weekend reunion at Doolan's Shore
Club in Spring Lake, NJ. I have to say, the place is even better than
it was 2 years ago! The place is perfect for a large event, it's the
best because the staff is so accommodating.
Since we were last there Susan had the bar put in the front room and on
Friday night, the place has live music. We were able to dance and have
a private party in the upstairs room while listening to the music
downstairs. Our reunion dinner was not
until Saturday night and it was made that much more successful by the
elegance of the room and the fabulous, I mean fabulous food! We went
with the Carving Station with the prime rib and turkey and that was
outstanding a big success with all the
guys! Everyone loved the food and a special thanks to Susan and her
staff, especially, Bob for making the night special and being most
accommodating. Since this was our second time there we left all the
details to Susan and as usual she doesn't let you
down. She's the best!

We've already booked our next weekend event in 2 years since our class
didn't leave until breakfast the next morning and decided they wanted
another event in 2 years instead of waiting another 5 for a big class
reunion. Thanks again, Doolan's!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Staten Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at the hotel portion of Doolan's because I was attending a wedding there and rooms where blocked off for the wedding guests. My room, which you access from the parking lot was horrible. It was old, outdated and nasty. If I wasn't having a drink or two that night...I would have driven home and lost the money I paid out for the room. The bathroom looked like it was from a gas station. When I flicked the switch...a red heat lamp bolb lit up! I refused to take a shower because I thought the ceiling was going to fall down on me. I even asked the front if I could switch rooms and shockingly they were all booked. I couldn't wait to leave. The room cost $70.....you clearly get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BROOMALL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I waited a month to get the rom I wanted , which was described as a Deluxe Room. Yes it slightly overlooked the pool, but that was obscurred by the air conditioners right outside the picture window. The bed was comfortable and plenty of pillows. The bathroom was not clean, floor had hair and bobbie pins laying here when we arrived. Walls needed to be painted and repaired. Sink faucet ran the whole time. Towels were like sandpaper. Continental breakfast was minimal and poorly staffed, had to ask for several things both days. Dinner in the restaurant was very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Delran, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The Shore Club is without a doubt the most friendly and hospitable hotel/resort facility in which my wife and I have ever vacationed and we have traveled all across the USA.
Susan and Joan, the proprietors are obviously continuing the Doolan family tradition established by their parents. THEIR ATTENTION TO DETAIL AND SERVICE TO THE GUESTS HAS BEEN PASSED ONTO EVERYONE OF THEIR EMPLOYEES!
We appeared to be the only first-time guests as eveyone else had been long time guests of 10, 20, 30 years and a couple of generations but by the second day we were one of them,totally accepted and welcomed by one and all.
But we will not be "rookies any longer as we have already reseved the same week for next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Doolan's? Share your experiences!