“Absolutely the most disgusting place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Doolan's

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
Doolan's
You added Doolan's to your Saves list
700 Rte. 71, Spring Lake, NJ 07762   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Deer Park, New York
“Absolutely the most disgusting place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Please, please don't be fooled by ANY good reviews for this place! I am thinking they were all posted by the owners of Doolan's because no one on this planet could enjoy a stay here. The rooms are the most terrible I have ever seen. We stayed one night only out of desperation; there was no other vacancies around that night. The place has not been updated since probably the 1970's. They put no money into this place. The room we were in was moldy, dingy, antiquated, and dirty. The wallpaper was peeling and the ceilings were brown with what must have been leaks. It smelled terrible of must and an air freshener that was put there to cover the bad smell. I am sure the DOH has not approved this place, it would be illegal! To top it all off, a group of people decided it was OK to party outside our door (next to pool) until the early hours with no regard for other guests that might want to sleep! Run the other way for real!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hillsborough, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had our wedding here at Doolan's - ceremony & reception. We have not stopped receiving compliments on the food, the rooms and the service!
We fell in love with their atrium room - then we had dinner there and their food is amazing! I don't care for fish and I devoured their sea bass! They really offer a lot and the nearby Spring Lake offers great opportunities for pictures if its nice out or their lobby. We took pictures in both locations.
The only thing that is not over the top are their rooms. They are clean but nothing fancy. I had a suite which really just gives you more space. The other rooms I had stopped by to visit guests in were all clean. I would much rather have a basic, clean room when I go "down the shore" and great food then a fancy room that I'm not going to spend a lot of time in.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the stairs could be loud during the weekend until about 11pm because of the ball...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed at this “hotel” the weekend of June 1st, 2012 for a wedding. I say “hotel” because they charge hotel prices for poor motel quality. If we weren’t there for a wedding I would have left. The only nice thing about this motel is the main lobby. It is the only area that looks like it has been updated since the 80’s. The rooms have wallpaper that is peeling. The rooms are tiny and the carpet and bedding are not clean. We had a room with two double beds which one bed was pushed up against one wall and the other bed was pushed up against the other wall and there still wasn’t much room in between the beds. Each room seemed to have different furniture and features. Our room had a small flat screen TV, but two other rooms had regular old TV’s. Our room had a remote that controlled nothing, but it was attached to the side table. We had no alarm clock, while another room had an alarm clock. Our room had a desk, though two other rooms did not have a desk. It seemed that they didn’t have enough of everything to go around. They do give you a bunch of towels which I thought was great, but now I know why. The towels are so thin you need to use a couple and I am not a big girl. The bathroom has bare light bulbs and there is a tiny sink that has a cabinet below that the door is crooked. They do not have separate shampoo and conditioner, plus it doesn’t come in a bottle in comes in a packet like a ketchup packet.They clearly don't clean often because there was soap in the shower that wasn't ours. I have included pictures so you can see on your own. My friend’s room had cinder blocks on their ceiling and they were only on the second floor. They also had a hole in their shower that gushed water out of it when the shower is on. As an FYI the 1st floor is actually below ground, you go down stairs to get to your room.
If the quality of the rooms is poor, the customer service is atrocious! They clearly do not care about having customers return, which is good because you couldn’t pay me or anyone else in our party to go there again. When I made the reservation for the room I wanted two adjoining rooms, I was informed that the only adjoining rooms they have are pool side to parking lot side. (The pool side is more expensive). I went ahead and booked one of each. Upon check-in we were placed in two parking lot rooms which were adjoining. I had to go back to check-in and mention this to them, they told me then they did not have pool to parking lot adjoining rooms, even though in the room I could see a door that connects to a pool side room. I also asked for rooms that had 1 king bed instead of two double beds. They informed us that they do not have rooms with a king bed. However later that day I stopped by a friends room and they had a king bed. My friend had ordered a gift certificate online however left it at home. She called home and got the number on the gift card. They informed her that they could not take it, that it had to be swiped. However they do have paper gift certificates that obviously can’t be swiped, plus when they charge you they manually enter your credit card number because they don’t have anything to swipe the card with. My friend even spoke to the manager who was incredibly rude and refused to offer her any type of service. Upon check-out they tried to charge me for the full amount of the room, I explained that they had already charged me a one night deposit. They told me they didn’t show that and I would have to tell them the day that they charged me. I said that I did not have the day, but it would be the day they mailed me the receipt. They informed me that they did not have that info and could only confirm if I left a deposit if I gave them the day they charged me. Clearly they have amazing bookkeeping skills there. I finally said to just forget it, to charge me in full and I would just dispute the charge with my bank. They overcharged my other friend as well. The only saving grace was an employee “Nicole” who called me about 40 minutes later and let me know that she found my initial charge and credited back my card for the difference.
The bottom line is I would never stay here again. I would never suggest it as a place for friends to stay. I may not even suggest it to people I don’t like. This is a beach town and I am sure there has to be a million better places to stay at. For the amount of money you spend on the room I expect better quality, service and cleanliness. They should begin using all that money to actually renovate the rooms and to teach customer service to their employees and to their manager. Don’t ever stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We just got back from our reunion last week and everyone loved Doolan's. It was a great stay. The Room was very nice and the Food was surperb! We are retired Travel Agents and plan on returning very soon! Our Reunion will become an Annual one in Doolan's! Thank you Sue & Joan for your hospitality! See you soon. Dianne & John O'Sullivan from City Island.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Yonkers,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed at Doolan's four nights last week with a group of friends and now plan on making it an annual tradition. Room was comfortable and restaurant was excellent - a terrific value in the very beautiful town of Spring Lake. Is a great spot to plan a reunion. As nice or nicer than Cape May and a much easier commute for anyone driving from NY. Highly recommend!!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We enjoyed another fun weekend here. This time we stayed in a room in the main building; it was more of a suite with a small living area & couch that pulled out into a bed of need be. The room had been updated & redecorated to be more modern and upscale than your typical Jersey Shore motel. It still wasn’t 5 stars but it remains one of the best values in Spring Lake.

I do wish the owners would update the bathroom fixtures. The handles on the bathroom sink were starburst pattern but the edges made it painful to get the good grip needed to fully shut off the water.

The included breakfast buffet is still a tasty treat.

We will return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Location! Location! Location! I lived in Spring Lake for 7 years and it's nice to have somewhere nice to go when I come back home. The staff was friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with complimentary wine and cheese. They accommodated our early checkin request and when we stayed two additional nights, we were so pleasantly pleased that we didn't need to change rooms. We enjoyed the Happy Hour which had $5.00 top shelf martini's before going to dinner. They have a wide selection of fish, steak, and lamb. Additionally, we enjoyed a light menu which was also available at the bar. We love the early bird special, it's the best dinner value at the shore. The service is attentive and professional...as nice any fine restaurant in the city. Yes, I know there are some bad reviews written on this site but I didn't see a single bug in my room, around the pool, restaurant, or lobby despite being there for two weeks. Okay, the rooms are bit outdated but they are spacious and clean ....allows them to keep the rates reasonable. The entertainment is old school, it's nice to see folks rippin up the dance floor. We are trying to get squeezed in to do a girls weekend! Congratulations to Susan and her family for a job well done. Can't wait to come back. ----The Mell Family

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Doolan's? Share your experiences!