“BYOB with flavorful lighter fair” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Manalapan, New Jersey
“BYOB with flavorful lighter fair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

As usual, we used Open Table to find and book and table at a newer Eatery. Decor is luncheonette like. It's located steps from the Spring Lake boardwalk . Wait staff is friendly. Had the mussels app, lobster ravioli as well as the scallop entree. Everything was neatly presented and flavorful. Really good Mango ice tea as well. It's not cheap and if you seek Huge portions, this is not the place or you.
Great location and decent food and some great ice cream down the street. Have some tasty food and take a stroll on the newly renovated quiet boardwalk .

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Amazing food and great staff!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I stopped in Bistro by the Beach with my girlfriend and a red and white bottle of wine and was prepared for a wonderful experience. To say the least our evening between the food and the staff was something I will not forget in a long time. Our server Brittany was very attentive even with the restaurant being PACKED. She was very helpful in helping us choose some delicious food. First we started out with the pan-seared tuna tacos that literally melted in your mouth...they make their own guacamole in house from what I was told it was amazing...next we moved onto dinner...I got the swordfish which was hands down the best piece of fish I have ever eaten at the Jersey Shore...The girlfriend got the Asian Calamari salad which she let me taste which was amazing!! Finally for dessert we both shared a Key Lime ice cream pie which blew my mind away...I kept saying, "this is ice cream??" All in all the experience was amazing...One of the owners Mark came over and asked how was our meal and we couldn't stop raving...they definitely have something special going on in Spring Lake and it's Bistro by the Beach!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Freehold, New Jersey
“Very good food, but could use some improvements.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I received a gift card for this restaurant and decided to try it. I had visited the "Sandpiper Inn Restaurant" several years ago and it was very good. This time, the atmosphere was different. I went on Saturday night and the place was beginning to fill up. We sat near the window and saw a nice sunset. My special salad with strawberries, sunflower seeds and light dressing was excellent. One guest ate the tagliatelle with broccoli rabe, mushrooms and sausage in a light sauce. It was excellent. The pasta was home made and flavors were so complimentary. Another had the swordfish al fresco with avacodo and mango. Very refreshing, not filling and well presented with the fish served over the diced fixings. I had the scallops with small pasta and all was cooked perfectly. My daughter had pasta with marinara, which was unfotunately served with grated cheese over it and had to be sent back. By the time the fresh dish arrived, we had finished eating. This did not make me happy. The service however, was very good. Due to the low ceilings, as the night went on, the place got louder and louder and you had to talk too loudly to enjoy conversation. Also, the lighting was too bright. They definitely needed to turn the lights down which may have encouraged others to quiet down also. The ceiling had some staining coming through and prices were high for the caliber of dishes served. The Tahitian Gelato was to die for, but the coffee was mud. If I were to go again, I would order the appy and a dessert and call it a nice night. Certainly not a place to go for a romantic atmosphere. The bathroom also was in some need of serious updating as it was dangerous with the "step up" to the toilet. This place could be on my top 5 list if they fixed the cosmetic items, lowered the lights and get the prices down a dollar or 2 a dish, but it isn't there yet!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
jrzy
“Are you kidding??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went there last Saturday evening with my wife and daughter, greeted by no-one in an empty house. Finally someone came to ask if we had a reservation, the place was empty. No we didn`t have a reservation, the gentleman excused himself to the kitchen and returned with someone to look at the seating screen. After a few minutes and some head shaking by the gentleman, I asked if anything was available. No, was the answer, not no sir, no sorry, no we have a full house shortly and I wouldn`t want to rush you. Just no. Do yourself a favor and try someplace else, this place doesn`t deserve your time

Manasquan, New Jersey
“5 Star Restaurant Cusine at the Jersey Shore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I have been there 3 times and everytime we went there we had spectacular service and the food was exquisite! BJ is a phenominal chef and his food presentation and creativity is second to none. The waitstaff lead by Manager Mark Roth does a tremendous job making you feel right at home. We highly recommend the Bistro on any occasion! We cannot wait to go back again!

• Visited April 2013