“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I went on the 24th for our 18th wedding anniversary and everything was perfect! This was our first here and we were treated so nice. I wish I could remember her name but our waitress was absolutely great! She wished us well the food was amazing!! We had Chilean sea bass & linguini with crabmeat & appetizers &dessert everything was delicious! We even heard our wedding song while we were there!! Everything was just perfect!! I would recommend the Mohawk House to all of my friends!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sparta, NJ
“Enjoyable meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was really not disappointed with the food after having heard about this restaurant and going for the first time today. Mushroom soup with truffle oil was delicious. My companions said their food was good. The service was wonderful and the staff very attentive. The only drawback was my salad, which was oil-soaked and wilted, so that I couldn't tell whether or not it was fresh.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln Park, New Jersey
“Tremendous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

With friend and relatives living in the area I have heard wonderful things about Mohawk House for years but it's a bit of a drive for me and I had never been until recently. Looks like I was missing out! It's not cheap but I knew that going in to the evening so no real surprise.

The place itself is grand and classy, giving the feel of a rustic country estate. Once we were seated the service was attentive, though not intrusive. We had the scallop-wrapped bacon app, Chilean Sea Bass and Filet Mignon entrees, and shared an amazing chocolate empanada dessert. Simply can't say enough about the food!

After dinner we decided to check out the bar area for a drink - what an extensive beer list! There was a band called 'Supernova' playing the night we were there and our romantic dinner seamlessly transitioned in to dancing and enjoying some great live music. We hadn't planned a late evening but ended up staying until the band was finished!

Hats off to the Mohawk House (and to Supernova) - we will certainly be back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sparta, NJ
“Great people watching”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have been here numerous times and the food is always good. That being said, it's really expensive and my husband always leaves hungry. Portions are small. Drinks are overpriced. Atmosphere is beautiful, great bar scene. Always have good live bands but they are sooooo loud. Go here knowing that you can have great people watching but won't be able to talk to anyone because it is so loud. Especially happy hour, no need to have the bands at full volume. Happy hour is a great time to chill with friends and it's almost impossible to do that here. Wait staff is always good. Bartenders are mean.

• Visited March 2013
Hackettstown, New Jersey
“Expected so much more than was delivered...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Although a nice looking place inside and out, I don't think I'll be visiting again. For the money spent, I expected so much more than was delivered.

The only positive to be said about my visit are the salads and beer selection. What follows is my experience used as the basis for my rating.

The biggest failure is service. Instead of being confined to an area, servers work tables throughout the restaurant leading to inattentiveness and complete abandonment - after not seeing our server for at least 30 minutes, I asked someone to find our server and was told she was with a large party elsewhere in the restaurant. When she did finally arrive, there was no apology just attitude. Additionally, when our salads and entrees were delivered by runners, there was no offer of pepper (no condiments at the tables) or inquiry into whether we needed anything else, it was drop and run.

Second issue was with the entrees, which typically seems to be a failing of the new breed of chef, the overuse of salt to "enhance flavors". Although I had consumed many glasses of water while dining, upon returning home, both my date and I felt like we had been to a chinese restaurant and needed to drink additional water to combat cottonmouth.

If you do decide to give this place a shot, avoid sitting in the enclosed patio room. Because of the confined space, the noise levels are extreme and we had to resort to yelling at times to hold a conversation.

• Visited April 2013