“Terrible Management” 1 of 5 stars

Book Now and Save 15%
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Terrible Management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Went to this hotel so that we could attend my son and daughter in laws college graduation party. Room was adequate, our biggest problem arose from the "free" breakfast. We arrived at the breakfast area at 9:15 am (breakfast is served until 10:00 am), only to find absolutely no where to sit. At least 10 other people were standing around waiting for a place to sit, some even opting to stand and eat. No attempt by the hotel staff was made to accommodate any of the guests. We finally got a table after about 20 minutes, but found that when we tried to get something to eat there was nothing left. When we asked the lady in charge of the breakfast bar if any more food was going to be put out she replied that the breakfast ends at 10:00, so she would not be replenishing anything. We asked the asst. manager about it, and he replied by asking me what kind of nationality my last name was! He so mishandled the situation that it evolved into a shouting match, which at one point resulted in him saying to us that he was going to comp our room for the night, but since we "chose to yell at him" he wasn't going to do that!

When we checked out of the hotel, my husband asked the hotel general manager why they didn't try to compensate us in some way for the breakfast fiasco, his reply was that since we thought the hotel was so bad we would never come back any way they didn't owe us anything!

The worst part of this whole thing was the Asst. Manager who we had the argument with actually called a Hampton Inn we use regularly in our hometown for business to complain about us!!! How unethical is that!!!

I must say though that the Hilton Corporation did rectify the situation by giving us a full refund and extending their apologies for the incident.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Karkit12, Manager at Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Hi p00rph1,

I wanted to thank you for writing a review about your stay. Whether the reviews are good or bad we want our guest to voice thier opinions about their stay.
I apologize that we were not able to satisfy you during your stay. I am glad to hear that Hilton was able to hear and mend the issues to your satisfaction. It is good that you are still staying at one of our Hilton sister properties. We love to hear when a problem is fix and that you are still Hampton Inn loyal.

Kit Leung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn the week of 8/15 for a business trip (5 minutes walking distance to my training). The concierge people were all very friendly and helpful. Housekeeping services daily, so bed made and fresh towels every day. The breakfast opened at 6am but my training started at the same time, so they helped me get some breakfast items beforehand. The hotel was very clean and close to a lot of good restaurants (which I had to walk since I didn't have a car). I enjoyed the exercise room and pool. I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Karkit12, Manager at Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Hi Ken,

Thank you for all the kind words.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was in NJ for one night on a business trip. This was the closest hotel to the meeting site and i was very ahppy with my stay. The front desk staff were great upon check in and the amenities were on par with other Hampton Inns. Nothing spectacualt but everything was very clean - the breakfsat was pretty typical for HI but good. Considering this hotel was signficantly less expensive than other chains in the area i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Karkit12, General Manager at Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Hello gratefuldan,

Thank you for a very fair and thorough review. I can tell that you are a frequent traveler and made a sound comparisons.

KIt
La Quinta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We arrived late in the evening, after receiving a phone call about our room. There had been a problem, but the manager on the phone "fixed" it. When we arrived around 11pm, there was another manager on duty, and the room reserved for us was still not correct. The night manager made it right, and actually gave us two rooms (each with a king) for the price of one, so that we had enough room for the four of us.
That was superb service!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Karkit12, General Manager at Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear LQDave,

Thank you for for your kind words. I will make sure to pass along the nice comments you have made to the Night Manager you spoke to.

Safe Travels,

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We enjoyed our four night stay at the South Plainfield NJ Hampton Inn. It is clean, comfortable and friendly. Has a great breakfast and a friendly, hard working staff. Close to restaurants, the cinema and malls. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Book online well in advance. It is very popular.
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear epresley142,

Thank you for speaking so highly of my hotel and staff. I have printed out your comments to show the whole staff your kind words.

Sinecerely,

Piscataway, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I have stayed at this Hampton Inn a few times and each time it's been a great experience. It's trustworthy, perfectly priced and the staff is always always so helpful and accommodating.
Last time I stayed, bath tub in the room I was in the wasn't draining properly and the guest services desk was prompt in getting me to a new room. The sheets are clean...really clean. No complaints. The only issue was that the internet wasn't working the whole night and morning of my stay but that's rare and it happens...can't complain considering the staff did everything they could to fix it. Breakfast was great too. Anything you ask the staff, they are more than happy and willing to assist.
Love the place. Feel comfortable calling it my home away from home when traveling.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear mena19,

Thank you for the great review. You are absolutely right, the internet was down/lagging during your stay and has since been fixed. I'm glad my staff was great during your stay. Again, thank you for the kind words and I will make sure to pass it along to my staff.

Long Beach, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

This is the first time in 40 years of traveling that I felt like strangling the manager when I finally arrived at the hotel. I was so aggravated and bent out of sorts that I could barely constrain myself. This whole incident nearly ruined our weekend and poisoned me about ever staying at a hotel that can't direct its customers, nor please them when they finally arrive.
We were driving up from New Brunswick, about 5 miles away, and we were trying to find the Hampton Hotel that we booked on Expedia.com. We were in South Plainfield, but somewhat lost, after circling around and around for about a half hour. We called the hotel for directions. We told the manager EXACTLY where we were and he gave us directions to the hotel. but they were completely WRONG. We were circling around and around another 25 minutes, even driving to the end of the road which turned into a dead end.. So we called him back and he insisted that we turn into a driveway at the light. We did and it was a factory and warehouse. So we called him back and he told us to drive back to that light and go back into that industrial complex where the hotel is located. We drove back there again, and again it was a complete dead end street. no hotel.
We located the Comfort Inn and called back the Hampton manager. We told him exactly where we were and again he gave us the wrong directions. So I went back to the Comfort Inn and inquired about a room there instead. And one was available.
I called the Hampton manager back and told him to CANCEL our reservation since he couldn't direct us to his hotel, and he refused.
He told us to call Expedia.com. We called them and they also REFUSED to cancel the reservation.. So we called the Hampton again and insisted on speaking to someone who was born in America. And she was able to direct us there, but not make up for this terrible ordeal.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear longislanderlloyd,

I am sorry that my staff was not able to give proper direction. I hope if you are in the area again you will allow us a chance to make your stay a more enjoyable one.

Kit Leung

Been to Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway? Share your experiences!