“hotel has unbearable curry smell” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick

You added Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4230 US Route 1, South Brunswick, NJ 08852   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Brunswick
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“hotel has unbearable curry smell”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

WE HAD 3 ROOMS FOR 3 NIGHTS FOR TOTAL OF 9 NIGHTS
Positives:
1. Angelo the night manager was very cooperative and changed 2 of our 3 rooms as the 2 rooms were filthy with curry smell and tried to find us shampoo
2. Carmela, the young desk lady on Tuesday morning was pleasant and apologetic and has the proper attitude and customer service.
3. The young man who cleaned the rooms on Sunday helped find a bottle of shampoo (probably left by another guest) as we had 3 rooms and no shampoo in the rooms.
4. Rooms were newly renovated.
NEGATIVES
1. no lobby and no coffee/tea in lobby despite website's description, but I was told that in October the hotel would offer this service, but still no real lobby.
2. Rooms 207 and 211 which were first offered to me had very bad curry smell and were filthy. room 207 had a cockroach on floor near the sink. When I complained about the cockroach, they told me it was not possible and that I must have been mistaken, but I know what I saw and it was in the kitchen area near the trash can, so I do not think it was a butterfly!
3. The young lady at the front desk on Monday (NOT Carmela who was a sweetheart) was dismissive and argumentative - she tried to defend everything I complained about. My room on the 2nd floor while superficially OK, but had very bad odor when I turned on the range hood fan. She said she would send someone to clean residual grease and filter in hood, but never happened. My room had ceiling water leak above toilet but she said nobody stayed in room above and that it was maybe the AC unit. Since the AC units in room are window ones and not central, it was a bit insulting to my intelligence that she was so defensive and rude.
WE USUALLY STAY AT HAMPTON INNS WHICH HAS A 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION POLICY SO WE WERE VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS HOTEL'S ATTITUDE

Room Tip: avoid one wing of 2nd floor as entire hallway smells like curry which is worse than staying in on a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
John D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The issues you described regarding our room cleanliness, foul odors and lack of breakfast are not acceptable and of great concern to me. I sincerely apologize for your experience. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am using this information to refocus my training efforts when working with my staff. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so I am able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at prosen@extendedstay.com. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Edison, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have every stayed nothing good about this hotel not sure who is giving these good ratings. I landed in this hotel last month in Aug 2012 and had booked it for 7+ days with my family. First of all the room which I was given had very bad smell(Newly renovated they say) next I went to wash cloths no detergent I went to counter and was told that some other company maintains this stuff so they don’t know when detergents will be available. Next day on Labor Day the internet stopped working only lobby and ground floor right side room had net. I along with multiples people complaint about this every day same ans to fool people we are working on this, the manger here just gives excuses each day I along with many people had to come in lobby to use our laptops for work. I heard people complain all day long at lobby about water over flow in their room, bad smell in room, given same room to two different people.Fyi by the time I left this hotel it had been 5 days without no internet connection ans from manger and people working there we are working on it. Above all these issues their lift had some fire issues on one day so everyone in the morning had to come to lobby running not knowing what had happen and stand for 1 hr until things were cleared by fire dept.Not even a single person was happy staying there from what I see and hear and after talking to people. A simple question to extended stay south Brunswick management if your net would have been down for 5+ days and you would have not been able to see or book any room will it take still same days to fix this internet issue. If you run a hotel than you need to know how to run it and keep customer issues a priority and don’t give useless ans all the time. I have stayed from no star to 5 star hotels and extended stay in almost 8 us states this was worst managed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
John D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company
prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so
disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the condition of your room.
Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation
like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as
non-smoking. It should never be the case that a guest who requests a non-smoking room is placed
in a smoking room when the preferred room type is available. In response to your comments,
I have met with hotel management and staff to find out how such an experience occurred and to
determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to
read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay
pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand
location in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The best hotel I have stayed at on Route 1. Room was great and if you have a pet, this hotel accepts them. I am in this area often so I plan on making it my regular spot to stay when in that part of NJ. Could also work if you are trying to save money on a trip to NY.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your glowing review of our hotel. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that.

Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

It's a great location if you plan on visiting Princeton University---easy drive there. It also appeared to be a pretty safe area. We booked with a discounted booking engine for a decent price. The room was very clean, but had a musty smell. The mattresses were a little uncomfortable. The hotel was ok---definitely adequate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your
experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through
our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering
on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests,
no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just
that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love
to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other
Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.
brooklyn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and I won't be returning. HORRIBLE Experience! The worst experience i've ever had at any hotel!!

The front desk staff are horrible. Extremely unprofessional, unaccomodating, slow and inefficient.

The Hotel Manager (who should lead by example) is also rude, unprofessional and lacks customer service etiquette!! I actually witnessed her being rude and impatient to a guest ..also witnessed her calling the cops on the same guest who made a complaint about a maintenance worker entering her room while she was half dressed.

Overheard one of the front desk staff knock on a guest's door telling them that their card was declined. O_o umm, I believe a phone call would've been more appropiate!

The older overnight guy is extremely unprofessional and is extremely slow!
The refridgerator in my room didn't work and the AC leaked leaving a huge wet spot on the floor.

The walls are VERY thin and you can hear the TV in the room next to you crystal clear!!

The laundry facility was dirty and HOT! No air conditioning.

The only thing i liked about this place was the fact that the rooms are newly renovated and spacious.

Never Again! This place is the PITS!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick, responded to this review, August 29, 2012

I do appreciate the opportunity to provide an explanation regarding the issues you described. I truly understand your aggravation and the inconvenience you experienced. The circumstances you have detailed are, of course, unacceptable and highly regrettable. It is our goal to provide a pleasant and relaxing environment where our guests can feel at home when they’re away from home. And we recognize that in order to achieve that goal, we must provide outstanding service as well as clean and comfortable accommodations.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand location in the future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

stay here for a few days and i am very satisfied with my stay! room is well maintained, very clean. staff are all professionals. good customer service. definitely will come back! highly recommended!location is near to shopping malls, restaurants, groceries, gas stations and very close to Princeton University.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Princeton - South Brunswick. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for few days. Our hotel rooms are well-maintained and clean. The hotel manager and staff were courteous and very friendly and most of all, very accommodating to all of our needs. We will stay again in this hotel whenever we are back in Princeton area and will strongly recommend this to our family and friends!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Princeton - South Brunswick. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Been to Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick? Share your experiences!