“Always great food. Great time to enjoy your meal outdoors, esp lunch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Origin

Cuisines: French, Thai
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations
Bridgewater NJ USA
“Always great food. Great time to enjoy your meal outdoors, esp lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This Thai / French restaurant always has a great lunch, but it was especially enjoyable yesterday when we enjoyed our meal outdoors. Division Street is now closed to traffic and is a pedestrian walkway so there are no cars zooming by while you try to eat. We both had the chicken massaman curry dish which is always a treat. Lunch comes with a salad or soup and two small crab rolls. I am not a soup lover, but I love their soup which is always some sort of creamed vegetable soup. This week it was asparagus and it was super. Sometimes it is carrot or squash or mushroom, but always good. Although it can be a bit pricey for dinner, the food for lunch is always a treat and is extremely reasonable.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Disappointed....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Origin has been one of my favorite restaurants in the area for a long time, and I really looked forward to a dinner there with group of my friends on a Friday night, especially since I haven't had a chance to eat there for a few months. Sorry to say, but our experience was really disappointing this time around. The food was very average. I ordered a green curry with shrimp as a main course, and one of my friends had a red curry with beef - both had too much sweetness to them which was overpowering. My other friend ordered a snapper entree, and ended up eating everything on her plate, but the snapper (surprise!) that didn't look, smell or taste fresh (they took it off our final bill). The highlight of our dinner and the only thing that was really perfect was their shrimp and crab meat appetizer - very nice and crispy on the outside and with a delicious and flavorful filling. The service wasn't good either. The girl that was serving us, looked and acted like she was doing us a favor, didn't go over the specials, didn't even bother to ask whether everything came out ok.... It will probably be a while before I go back to Origin, it is now crossed off of the list of my favorite places. Next time when i feel like eating thai food, I will go to Thai Kitchen in Bridgewater, both of their locations are great and offer so much more for what you are paying.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Great place for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

What a great place to go for a leisurely lunch. My sister and I had a wonderful time catching up with each other during lunch. My sister recommended Origins as a quiet place to dine. The food was wonderful! I would definitely go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northern NJ
“Experience was below expectations.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I, along with another couple, were seated immediately on a Saturday evening, 6 PM reservations. We brought our own wine and ordered two salads and two appetizers. I recommend the peanut dressing on the Thai salad.
For meals, I ordered the Pad Khing with shrimp. It was flavorful but the shrimp was overcooked and dry. My wife enjoyed the Phuket Jumbo Shrimp and would definitely order it again. (Perhaps they cook the smaller shrimp with the jumbo for the same amount of time!)

Our friends had the Sea Bass which was goo. And, the Duck which was ordered medium-rare (as suggested) and was served very rare and with excess fat.

We split two deserts of Plum Frangipane Tart, described as plum with almond cream on pastry with ice cream. Everyone enjoyed it except me. The almond cream was course dry nuts -- It was not creamy and I abhor mixing textures, a personal dislike.

A few more points. None of the service people could speak English and certainly not explain the contents of menu choices. Tables were cleaned up while others hadn't finished the course like they were trying to push you out. And worse, the noise level was very high, in fact painfully noisy. People on all sides of us were screaming at each other in order to be heard. Actually, the atmosphere would have scored better than average if not for the clamorous crowd.

I saw the manager afterwards and explained to him the food was enjoyable but we shall never return because of the noise level. He explained, in excellent English, that was the normal for a Saturday evening. With his recommendation, we shall return during the week someday, perhaps not too soon though.
The tab was $90/couple including tax and 20% gratuity. The BYOB feature, at least, kept the price somewhat reasonable.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bridgewater NJ USA
“Always a good meal and good service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We love going to Origin for lunch! The choices are amazing and the prices cannot be beat. The meals are always delicious and their soup is always wonderful. I am not a soup eater, but I always have their cream of "something" soup...yesterday was butternut squash, sometimes carrot, sometimes mushroom, but it is always delicious. Their lunch noodle dishes and big plates are great and their pad thai cannot be beat. Their massaman curries are full of veggies and the best avocado. The ambiance is great with the tin roof, the Thai "art" and the fish tank and flowing water wall. The street now has not parking on it, but their is a parking lot right behind the fire house. In the nice weather, outdoor seating is also available.

• Visited June 2013