“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

132 East Main Street, Somerville, NJ
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Da Filippo's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 71 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Meadow Street
New Jersey
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Not sure what else I can add that others have not already said! You feel like you are at home here, and are welcomed as if you are part of the family. The food is wonderful... Just go - you won't be disappointed!

Visited August 2014

Somerset, New Jersey
“Fresh favors. Food melts in your mouth.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

You're treated as one of the family in this establishment. Great dishes within an authentic Italian restaurant.

Visited June 2014
Marlboro, New Jersey
“Authentic Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I thought I was back in Italy. Food was great Atmosphere even better. The appetizers (try the sardines) were excellent and the owner is a pure gem of a gentleman. We had a party of 11 and everything was timed perfectly. I look forward to going there again and again.....highly recommended.

Visited June 2014
“Great place fantastic food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Have been here several times and is consistently excellent. The family that owns and runs the place are fantastic

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Annandale, Virginia
“What a wonderful find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I found this little restaurant on Trip Advisor, and so glad I did! I don't know Sommerville at all, but this place is not where the rest of the restaurants appear to be... it's on the "other" side of Main. We went on a Monday night, and parked directly in front of the building. There was only one other party there, which seemed a little odd, but if people knew of this gem, I think it would be packed every night!

Bearta greeted us at the door as if we were family, and Filippo introduced himself shortly thereafter. We chatted, and were seated. The menu is fairly limited, and not what I would expect for an Italian restaurant, but we STILL had trouble deciding what to choose for our meals. Bearta suggested we try a pre-appetizer of an toasted flat bread concoction with onion, tomato, cheese and herbs inside.. it was spectacular! And then we wanted the risotto, and the beef stew, and the veal for our meals. Bearta told us that we could have the risotto as an appetizer and that she would split it three ways. It was divine, but generous and very rich ...enough to be the whole meal for each of us (we brought much of it home to enjoy later). For the meal I got the beef stew, which was fork tender and delicious. It was served with potatoes and a cooked purple cabbage that was slightly sour.. a very nice contrast to the beef stew.

It was my sister's birthday, so of course we had to have desert. We split a cream puff covered in chocolate, dish. It was also delicious, but there was a hint of orange peel which I wish I had known about, as orange peel makes my throat itchy and my nose run. it was just a hint, however.

Filippo is the chef, and entertainer.. after our meals were prepared, he came out and gave a very tasteful performance of Happy Birthday... singing and playing the piano. And then he launched into what I can only imagine was and Italian ballad of some sorts.. I didn't understand the words, but the playing and singing was really wonderful.. so full of feeling.

I wish this little gem was in my neighborhood here in Virginia.. what a find it was!

• Visited May 2014