“Horrible service” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Somerville, New Jersey
“Horrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Although Kyma has been a regular favorite of mine, I am sad to report a most unfortunate incident that occurred during my last visit. We arrived at a mostly empty Kyma to celebrate my mother's birthday and upon relaying our reservation name to the hostess, we were greeted with much hostility. There was confusion over the name under which the reservation had been placed, which should not have been an issue as there were only two tables present at the time and there was ample seating to accommodate any sized party. The hostess was downright rude and flippant towards us and even walked away from us to go to the back of the restaurant without giving us any direction. When we pointed out that she shouldn't be speaking so disrespectfully towards her customers, she responded saying that it was her restaurant and she could speak to us however she wanted. Having worked in the service industry for over a decade, I can say with confidence that this is the most disrespectful exchange I have ever experienced in a restaurant. I will never bring my business back to Kyma.

• Visited October 2012

79% Recommend
Somerville
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was very upset when the Thai restaurant that was in this location previously moved out. However, I was more than pleasantly surprised after dining at Kyma. The food is excellent. Would highly recommend the grapeleaves. Service is a little slow but the food makes up for it.

Visited July 2012
NJ
“Great food but service not up to par”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Arrived here and first impression was beautiful place. We were not acknowledged for at least 5 minutes. Finally they sat us down, and our waiter came by--cordial but you can tell very inexperienced. I was thinking we could be in for a disaster. However, once they served the hot pita bread and dip made of beets, potato and garlic, things started looking up. Ordered appetizers-spanakopita and saganiki. Both were delicious. Then, our entrees came out, grilled black bass and the plaki which was grouper with lemon sauce / cannellini beans. Both entrees were served hot and portions were large. My fish was served whole and they did a decent job of de-boning it, not perfect but acceptable. After thoroughly enjoying our dinner and wine, we order the fig/ouzo gelato, which was totally different and heavenly. Also, we never felt rushed even though the place was very busy. So while we finished eating on a very high note, went into men's room, it was not clean, lacked paper towels , soap, etc.

In concluding, we will definitely go back here and will even recommend to friends / family. Best Greek food in Central Jersey and a great value, however, lots of room for improvement in service / facilities.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dunellen, New Jersey
“Excellent food, amazingly fresh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stopped here for lunch and the 4 of us all enjoyed everything we ordered. There was not one thing to complain about. The chef came out and told us about the food and came out again later to see if we liked everything. Our waiter, Dominick, was so nice and didn't keep us waiting for anything. I had the Chicken Souvlaki and the lunch portion was so filling (lots of juicy grilled chicken on the skewer) I had to bring half of it home. We sat outside on a beautiful day, it really was a nice treat and the service was certainly not lacking for us outside. There was always someone there to get us anything we wanted. I am already making plans to go back for dinner with family & friends.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Central New Jersey
“Excellent Greek Food served in a pleasing atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stopped in to Kyma after a long and busy weekend, and we were glad we did. This was our second visit to Kyma, and we chose it because of the lighthearted atmosphere and seriously good food.
We started with the tzitziki, as an appetizer, which we shared, followed by the country salad, which was nice and fresh, and, well, huge. Those two items, shared, would have made a meal. As other reviewers have said, the portion are big, so bring a big appetite. My wife's entree was bass, which was wonderfully prepared in a light sauce with a lemony flavor,. At our waiter's advice I had a seafood medley (wish I remembered the name) on a skewer, that was grilled in a light oil and oregano. Seafood seems to be the specialty of the house, and both my wife and I love it, however there were equally tempting choices of lamb, chicken, etc..
We arrived a bit early on a Sunday evening, and there was already a pretty good crowd. There is a real family atmosphere at Kyma, and there were several large family groups both times we went to Kyma. The decor is tastefully done yet minimal: this translates into a place which is somewhat loud, but not unpleasantly so. There are also seats for al fresco dining.
The only reason I subtracted a star from an otherwise great restaurant is that the wait staff seems a bit oblivious at times. We signaled for water several times, and we had to remind our server that we were still waiting for our main course. The restaurant was not all that busy, so the lack of attention was a bit disconcerting. That said, I should add that our waiters on both visits were very friendly, and very helpful in choosing items they thought would please us. In addition, we were not in any hurry, so this was a minor distraction.
Altogether a very pleasant dining experience, excellent food served in a pleasing atmosphere

• Visited August 2012