“The dog didn't like it” 2 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Somerset
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Cottontail Lane, Somerset, NJ 08873   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Somerset
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
“The dog didn't like it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

We stayed here last year. It
was OK. We came back because we needed a dog friendly hotel in mid-New Jersey. This time will be the last. The whole place needs a makeover. Carpets & furnishings are tired & old.
On a very cold day the heat was off in the room when we checked in. I found whole nuts and nutshells on the floor-items that our dog could choke on. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Scottsburg, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I am an Elite La Quinta member and have stayed at hundreds around the country with my job. This is absolutely the worst La Quinta I have ever stayed at ever! I got there on Thanksgiving night and was laughed at by the front desk clerk when I asked if there might be any place near by to grab some dinner. I went to my room and sat down to watch some tv when the television went black. I picked up the phone to call the front desk and neither of my room phones worked. Back downstairs to let them know and I was informed that no one could help me as there was a party going on in the lounge....what the two had to do with each other I don't know. The front desk clerk informed me that he would try and be up in the next hour or so....this was at 10 pm. I waited for a half an hour and back downstairs where I finally insisted that either someone come up and fix the problems or I wanted keys to another room. I had to argue with the front desk clerk before he would finally come up and fix them. The next evening the toilet broke.....I could still flush it but had to take the tank lid off to do it. I stopped at the front desk the next morning to let them know and was assured it would be fixed while I was out of my room all day. That night...no fixed toilet. Back downstairs again and I was assured it would be fixed....three days later it was finally fixed! The air conditioning unit turned on and off by itself even when in the off position. I asked for any type of refund from the hotel and got blown off. I have sent a letter to La Quinta headquarters and will be interested to see what they say. I will never stay here again!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Charlotte nc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

I have been staying at La Quinta hotels for over ten years. This was the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at, It was dirty and it had an offensive odor throughout. I still cant get the smell out of my nose. I was visiting family in the area and used my rewards points to get 2 free nights. I got to the hotel late so only was there a few hours to sleep. When we got up we could not get out of there fast enough. I had to cancel my next night and stay at another hotel. If you are thinking of staying here even for free good luck!!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Springfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for his high school reunion. The hotel was a pleasant surprise. First, the room was quite large and comfy. We had a king-sized bed, plenty of place to put our clothes (though we didn't unpack - it was just one night). The TV worked well, and included HBO and several channels. The lights all worked well (I hate a dark room). A further bonus is the lights had plugs, so you could charge your phone /laptop by the bed. The hotel offered free wifi which worked well - you did have to keep re-connecting depending on where you were at the moment. The hotel lobby had several nice chairs and sofas (which was a bonus for us, as the music at the reunion was loud, and several of us congregated in the lobby instead!). The hotel also offered a decent-sized indoor pool (our friend used it to swim laps), a sauna and a work out room.

The bathroom was okay. It was well lit with good counter space and plenty of towels, but the only amenity was Pantene shampoo/conditioner (no body lotion, perhaps we got a second little bottle of shampoo instead of the lotion). There is no makeup mirror, so makeup was a bit of a struggle as I couldn't see clearly (did I mention it was a 35th high school reunion?).

The breakfast wasn't bad. They had a buffet with scrambled eggs, corn beef hash and potatoes, fresh waffles, small bagels, toast,a few cereals and coffee and juice. For free, it was pretty good, athough it was only available from 7:30 - 9:30 AM on a Sunday. The people cleaning up were quick to remove dirty plates, and willingly made a pot of decaf for one of us.

One other note - the sound-proofing was, well, not very good. One of our friends overheard some...shall we say interesting...conversation and activity from the next room, and we heard the elevators opening and closing most of the night.

The place was very clean. All in all, this was a good value for the money, and I would recommend staying here if you are visiting friends in the area or something like that. Clearly, this isn't a "resort" or destination hotel, but it's a good wayside stop.

Room Tip: DON'T stay near the elevators! We were in 507, and next door to them. It sounded like someone...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

We were booked for 2 nights as part of a group tour in this hotel off the highway. Far away from any decent places, This is a dated hotel. Rooms average. The only saving grace was wi-fi worked.

The breakfast sucked. The menu had disgusting bland potatoes and scrambled eggs and some weird looking cereals. The waitress seemed disinterested to refill and in fact refused to, directing us to the front desk to register complaints.

Will never recommend this place unless you are looking for a place for overnight stay near the highway. Terrible!!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

This hotel is nice has a pool and a lounge also a gift shop. Rooms are ok the hotel itself could use some updating.. A little outdated The food is ok and they do offer a free breakfest in the morning. This hotel has alot of kids running around. No a bad hotel prices are average for the area.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

dunnville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2014

This hotel is dated which is fne I'm not super picky. But the cleanliness wasa problem. Not only was their Mold and Mildew in the Shower I also found 5 black hairs in the shower. Breakfast was okay but pretty limited. and the coffee was horrible, but then again what hotel coffee isnt:)

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Somerset? Share your experiences!