“Excellent Service & Great Food” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Somerset
Union NJ
“Excellent Service & Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

On December 22nd I recently hosted my Birthday at the Toucan Lounge, The staff was very professional and courteous. The food was outstanding, the buffet was decorated beautiful and the food was plentiful. From the time I arrived to check in at the Econolodge the front desk staff wore a smile and was very friendly. I made several request and it was accomodated. The room was very clean and well kept. Great place to stay,Great Food and excellent service. Thumbs up to the staff and management.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

A friend won a so called birthday party @ their lounge (Touscan) so they said since u have a hr drive, might as well stay their. Well...BIG MISTAKE!
Nasty rooms, dirty rugs, u could see the dirt along the edges of the carpet in the hallways. Plus the lounge stated they would have food for the party.and they did! A small bag of wing dings that they put out 12 peices at a times ! Cause they wanted to stretch the food cuz their were several so called birthday party winners .
Everything about this place is disgusting!.
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! IN 1 WORD YUCK!

• Stayed December 2012
Adrian, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at the EconoLodge because I was attending a conference at the Garden State Convention Center. It is not the type of hotel I would usually choose for business. However, I was participating in a Choice Hotel promotion that was approaching its deadline and needed one more stay to achieve a free night. The price for this hotel was very attractive but EconoLodges definitely have a reputation for being spartan. As I pulled up, the exterior was not unattractive and the lobby area gave me at least some confidence that this was not a bad choice. The decor appeared to have been updated and was reasonably nice. The room was quite adequate as it was spacious and clean. However, the TV was a vintage Zenith and there was not a particularly wide array of channels available. But this was not unexpected. The WiFi was free and worked fine during my stay. The morning breakfast was strictly continental which led me to go out each morning to one of the restaurants down Easton Ave. However, on the positive side, at least there was coffee available all day. I also discovered I could walk to the Convention Center via the back way using connecting parking lots. In the end, based on the price I paid, I would say this hotel was just fine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Marlboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just recently stayed here during our power outage from Hurricane Sandy. The accommodations were just perfect, rooms were impeccably clean, service was very friendly and courteous. This was our second time we stayed here and we were extremely satisfied both times. If you need a place to stay, do not hesitate to come here. Its excellent!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fonda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

After having staying once at an Econo Lodge (Whippany, NJ..see our post!) and reading other reviews of other Econo Lodges, we had vowed never to stay at another Econo Lodge. Due to the complete lack of indoor pools at all the other Choice Hotels and Holiday Inn Expresses in the area, we were forced to consider this Econo Lodge, as it provided access to an indoor pool. We read the reviews here on TripAdvsior and reluctantly took the plunge and booked our one night stay.

It was better than expected for an Econo Lodge, not that we have high expectations! The beds were comfortable and had sheets that fit. The room was clean and so was the bathroom. I even took a shower and the water actually drained out! But if you are sensitive to smell, the hallway has a strong perfume scent and the room had a detectable stale odor. The carpet on the floor was spongy, both in the room and in the hall, which you wouldn't notice if you didn't walk barefoot. We didn't let our 7 month old crawl around on the floor. Our room was very close to the lobby and there was a steady stream of people coming and going and you could hear it all, as well as the TV from the next room.

Because it belongs to the fitness center, the pool is not your typical hotel pool. We stayed there on a Friday night, and it was closed between 5 pm - 8 pm because of swimming lessons. It is divided into lanes, and there was a lot of activity going on when we got in at 8 pm. But it was a indoor pool and it was heated and we used it!

The breakfast area was clean, open, and well stocked. The Continental breakfast was of minimal variety, but there was plenty of it and they had a very nice automatic coffee machine.

The woman who worked at the desk was friendly, knowledgeable, available, and professional. Best of all there was no need for a plexiglass shield separating her from the customers!

For $55 a night, if you need to swim in a pool, and don't want to sleep in your car...give this Econo Lodge a shot! But don't plan on two nights!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Hotel had a lot of amenities for a budget hotel. Hotel was in a nice area. Outside of hotel and lobby area was fairly nice. It even had a chandelier in the lobby. We were excited to use the pool and jacuzzi tub after long day drive and were quite chagrined to find it closed at 4PM. Figured we could use it the next morning before embarking only to find out the hot tub was taken out previous week. Most of the pool was undergoing lessons so you had to stay to the side of the pool. Not a big deal for my water winged 3 year old but others could find it quite annoying. Our enjoyment was cut quite short however as a parent was allowed to basically drown their newly born infant while trying to teach him how to swim causing him to throw up in the pool. The best part for us was the laundry room on site which came in handy after a waiter at a local restaurant proceeded to dump a 24 oz soda all over me and my 3 month old's car seat. Would have been quite a hassle for us to take the tribe out to find a laundrymat with soppen clothes.Overall this property fit the bill for us and I would definitely recommend this hotel. While it was a little dated it was fairly well kept and had a lot to offer amenity wise for the bargain basement pricing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Warren, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at this Econolodge last year and wasn't really impressed. It was okay but run down to a degree. I just recently stayed two nights, and was impressed with the changes. The exterior is painted and appears different than the pictures here on trip advisor. The building is painted in two tone earth tones and looks really good!

One of my concerns last year involved the pool, and while some were addressed, others were still present. They painted the whole pool area but forgot the roof, which looks terrible. They put in new carpeting around the pool which was nice. The pool was good temp, and huge. But you are restricted to either narrow lanes, or slivers on the side of the pool, as many kids and adults are being taught to swim, and things of that nature. But its usable. The hot tub was not operating both days I went, so that was disappointing.

The hallways were nice and the elevator was decent but had a few missing trim pieces which was distracting. The hallways seemed renovated in the halls that start at the lobby. They were a bit sloppy painting though as many doors still show the turquoise color it was before.
Our room on the second floor was nice, mostly clean, and didn't smell. Small issues were the faucet in the tub was crooked, and we found another persons sock under the bed. Under the bathroom sink is supposed to be nailed shut, but it wasnt and I peaked inside and it appeared moldy/black around the pipe coming from wall. Otherwise it was clean.
everything was pretty good. Tv was decent but limited channels, internet was a bit slow but reasonable. We had a neighbor but did not hear a peep. Bed was comfortable.

The breakfast was a decent basic offering. Toast, bagels, danish, coffee, good Apple Juice, and lackluster OJ.

Front desk staff was same as last year and somewhat friendly, but could have been more cheerful.

We tried the Toucan restaurant that is attached to the hotel, and were very impressed with their food! It closed early and we were the last customers at about 9:45. The board was gone, but earlier I saw a sign advertising a philly cheese steak special for 7 and 5 for margaritas. Thats exactly what I got, and my girl got a Sex on the Beach and Chicken Ceasar. She loved her salad and the chicken was good too! We were the last orders but the quality was strong! My sandwich while i found strange on a bulkie roll, tasted DELICIOUS! Nice chunks of fresh pepper and onion and really good steak and cheese, it was awesome! I loved every bite! I would recommend the restaurant and bar for sure! It exceeded expectations. All that for $30.

Overall I would stay here again, and hope they continue to improve everything at the hotel, I would say they have made drastic improvements over my experience last year, and just a little bit more and they are good! Give it a try, its a great value!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
steven p, Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
thank you for your comment we are always trying to improve the property

Been to Econo Lodge Somerset? Share your experiences!