“A miss for the Courtyard chain - this hotel needs some help.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Somerset
Ashburn, Virginia
“A miss for the Courtyard chain - this hotel needs some help.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We arrived very late (about 2am). We came in and checked in, but the front doors were locked, so I had to stand there to trigger the motion sensor so we could bring our bags in. The front desk staff apparently keyed something in wrong so that we could only get one keycard.

We lugged everything onto the elevator. The elevator was slow, and really cruddy looking inside (chips in the laminate, and the carpets were truly disgusting). Once we got to our room, the single keycard they had issue the TWO of us didn't work, so I had to go all the way back downstairs. The front desk staff acted like I had done something wrong, and asked if I put it next to my phone. I told them the truth, which was that I was holidng it my hot little paw all the way up the elevator and down the hall, far away from any demagnetizing elements.

When I woke up, I was disgusted to notice that the floor beside the nightstand hadn't been vacummed, and contained a previous guests nail clippings (so gross!!). Also, the couch was obviously stained.

To make matters worse, after our late arrival, we had planned on sleeping in, but the maids had other ideas for us - to get us up and out of that room as fast as possible. They were knocking on the door at 8:30, and after I told them to come back after noon, they proceeded to carry on with each other in Spanish up and down the hallway. I mean, really? Aren't people paying $100 a night to have a clean, comfortable, quite place to relax? Maybe they could have spent less time yapping and more time making sure that the rooms were actually clean.

The bathroom was clean. The toiletries smell nice, but there isn't enough shampoo or conditioner for two people to use. The lobby was very clean and modern and welcoming. The wireless worked and was free, a big plus.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
tlcsomerset, General Manager at Courtyard Somerset, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Courtyard Somerset. I sincerely apologize for inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I am extremely disappointed with the service you received during your stay. Please be assured that I take your feedback and comments seriously. I addressed your issues with all departments involved to ensure this is not repeated in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Nice Marriott and also quiet. I actually overslept, which for me is unheard of. Only complaint was I had put in for a wake-up call and it didn't come but I was rewarded with some Marriott points so it worked out.

• Stayed January 2011
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

The bed is to die for. The decor is crisp, up-to-date throughout the entire hotel, and sofabed surprisingly comfortable to sit on as a couch. Extremely clean, both rooms and public areas. The staff was very friendly, accessible, and informative. I didn't have time to use it, but the in-hotel pool and hot tub area looked very well kept and warm (nice on a 20 F day). Will not hesitate to stay there again, even tho I have to drive further off the NJ Turnpike to get to it. It's that good. Will absolutely recommend to family who also visit Plainfield, NJ from out of the area. Now, if I could just figure out how to order the bed and bedding off the Marriott website (which type is it?).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chi-Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed at this CY several times over the past two months and found this to be an excellent venue.

The rooms are nicely appointed and there is free parking. Also there is a restaurant attached to this and also other suitable ones within easy driving distance.

Finally this has a suburban location so I always feel safe here.

• Stayed December 2010
Southington, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed here for two nights for wedding.
The Good : Clean hotel, comfortable bedding, indoor pool, internet access, convenient to highway 287.
The Bad : After our first night's stay, our room was never made up by the maid. We returned from the wedding reception at midnight to find unmade beds and dirty towels. The next morning when we complained to the clerk at the front desk we were told the maids worked on a schedule and our itinerary that day (we were gone most of the day) did not coincide with the maid's schedule therefore implying that our unmade room was our fault. This lack of customer service from a seemingly reputable provider is not acceptable. There are several hotels to choose from on this street. If you would like to be treated as a valued customer think twice before booking this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
tlcsomerset, General Manager at Courtyard Somerset, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Thank you staying at the Courtyard in Somerset. We apppreicate your kind words about the hotel. I sincerely do apologize for the poor customer service you recieved during your stay. I'll forward your survey to the appropriate department heads so this does not happen to any guest in the future.
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed one night in August at the Somerset Courtyard marriot in NJ. i picked this hotel due to its proximity to RARITAN and adjoining areas- where i had some business. The hotel is a good choice for business travellers- has good service, has good restaurant options and good parking area. Hotel staff were couteous and supportive of all needs. Its quite a distance from the NJ airport- so its good for someone with business around this area- Somerset/ Raritan etc. Rooms were spacious and internet connectivity was good. I didnt find the location close for entertainment/ nightlife options- but good if you have work in this area. As expected in Marriotts, rooms are clean and eco friendly too
would recommend for anyone driving in for a few days of business around this area

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed at this hotel recently during our sightseeing trip to NYC.

Pros
- Reasonably priced, sized, and clean rooms
- Free High speed internet
- Pool/fitness center (we did not use it). Seemed ok
- Free coffee & tea in lobby and room
- Rooms have balconies for those who care.
- Rooms were fresh, did not have the "typical" hotel room odor
- A/C unit was not noisy, did an ok job
- Located close to I-287 and NJ Turnpike
- Ruby Tuesdays on premises (cannot comment on how it is)
- Hot water in shower
- OK customer service
- Fast check in/check out.

Cons
- Room rates do not include breakfast.
- Breakfast at the hotel did not appear that appealing and a little overpriced.
- Nearest NJ transit station is New Brunswick (10 miles). We took the train from Metropark (25 min) ride
- Did not appear to be a lot restaurants around the area.
- Hotel room keys did not allow access from a back door. Made it a little inconvenient for getting our bags in.
- Elevator is too slow!! Hotel only has 3 floors.

We requested a room with a microwave/fridge. We got one. Unfortunately, microwave did not work. It also had a dried stuff (pizza? gross!!. from the previous occupant!! We did not realize this till we were getting ready to checkout. So I'm not sure what management would have done. This was the only thing that was not upto the standards of the rest of the hotel/room.

Will consider staying here again. Hotel would much better value if they included a continental breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard Somerset? Share your experiences!