“Great getaway spot” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wilmington, Vermont
“Great getaway spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to spend a couple of days playing golf in South Jersey but didn't want to be in Atlantic City. We booked the Colonial Inn through Travel Zoo and are glad we did. Our room was clean and comfy. The staff was more than helpful. There are lots of quaint shops around the Inn and you don't have to travel far to find plenty more to do. For us, there are plenty of good golf courses close by.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chester County
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The village has a lot to offer in dining and shopping, all employees are friendly and welcoming, the grounds are kept well. However, regarding the Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville...having already paid in full to Living Social, and receiving confirmation of our room choice, and owing only taxes upon check-in as per the Inn's instructions (and I have all the paperwork confirming this) we still don't understand why they gave our room away (#203 with refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker in the village) especially when there were a number of other available rooms to give to other guests. (Did they change their mind about offering the rooms with the added amenities to the Living Social voucher holders?) Tracy was gracious enough to escort us to other available rooms, but the alternate room we chose upon arrival (Great Bay Room 106) turned out to be less than satisfactory as the shower's faucet had been slowly dripping, long enough to cause mold and its familiar odor. Tracy must have also seen the water and smelled the mold when she showed us the room, but we thought it was just from the room needing to be occupied and aired out. Oddly, there was even water on the floor behind the toilet. Because it was after hours when we realized the room's odor was not improving, we had to go out to buy clorox and scrubber sponges and thoroughly clean, dry with the hair dryer, and air out the 4 x 8 stall before being able to use it the next morning! Besides our own noisy air conditioner, there was a constant hum from somewhere else. Not very relaxing, and not something we needed on top of not being given the room we paid for. This was also a special getaway for us in that we were celebrating long awaited, encouraging medical screening results. Just wanted the Inn and future customers to know that although we made the best of our getaway, the visit was not ideal as we hoped. I also agree that a heartier breakfast, perhaps via a voucher to a local restaurant, would be more suitable for this Bed and Breakfast.
Even after a feedback letter to the resort about the reservations error which we believe and which Living Social supports, was on the part of the Inn's reservations staff, we were not offered the courtesy of a discount for a future visit.

Room Tip: 203 was a beautifully appointed room with a semi-private deck over the pond, parking spot, handicap...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
colonialinnkeeper, Manager at The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
It is true, your room was given to another guest, in error, and for this I am very sorry.

We had called you earlier in the week and left a message and attempted to call you again the day before arrival with no luck. At that point we made an assumption that was incorrect. There is no doubt that a mistake was made on our end. When you arrived I personally expressed to you my regret and offered you any room you would like from the remanding 19 rooms that were available. The rooms offered included our Johnson Suites that cost three times the amount you paid for your voucher. We together toured 3 rooms, at which time you picked the room that you would be spending the night in. The room you had originally booked was a Premier room, and I was offering you rooms 2 and 3 tiers above that realizing that the Colonial Inn was accountable. I greeted you each morning on your personal back deck and made myself readily available in the event you needed anything. I alerted my staff to what had happened so they too would be ultra sensitive to your needs. I truly wish that you would have spoken to anyone of us to let us know that you were displeased. Although I have never had such a problem or complaint about this room I would have certainly addressed any issues you felt was present. The room you stayed in is one of our most popular rooms and this is why I was not surprised, at all,when you selected the room after touring. Please know that if I had noticed any problem with the room as you suggested, I would have most certainly steered you towards one of our other 19 rooms.

Our intent is not to just get our guests into a room but to find a room that is just right for our guests.

Our guest here at the Colonial Inn are very important to us, we strive to maintain a flawless business were all of our customers know that their experience is our number one concern. It appears that in your case we have not been successful and for this we are truly sorry.
Shamong, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I cannot say enough for the staff at the Colonial Inn. We love them all!!! Myself and my husband are disabled and Tracy assisted us with making our stay very comfortable. Having a disability is bad enough but trying to find a location that will accommodate your disability is sometimes impossible. For the first time we rented a scooter from Diamond Scooter in Absecon for my husband. It was very easy to access our room from the convenient ramp near our room.

The Colonial Inn and shoppes makes you feel like you are in Williamsburg, Virginia. When you walk around the shoppes and listen to the music, you just get lost in time and place. I love to sit on one of the benches and listen to the music and watch the train. If you love country decor, you are absolutely going to love Smithville. We will be staying at the Inn again in December to watch the light show in the lake. It's very spectacular, you won't want to miss it! I always say that that Smithville is my home away from home and I cannot wait for our next trip!

Room Tip: The handicap room where we stayed was located at the Inn. There is a sliding glass door, with a con...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this wonderful Review! Our guests are so important to us and well,... it's just so nice to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Colonial Inn. I know it is so hard to get away and even harder when you have some disability issues. I am glad that we were able to meet your needs and make this a special getaway. Truth is we liked having you as a guest just as much as you liked being here! P.S.I kinda feel like a rock star when I see my name under a wonderful review like this...Thanks, :O)
Richboro, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had the pleasure of providing flowers for, and attending a wedding at The Smithville Inn.It was a delightful experience.The Owners and staff were so accomodating, professional, and friendly. They all worked together seamlessly to create a beautiful arena for the bride's evening.
The venue itself has been renovated to maximize light and the beauty of the natural setting outside the panoramic windows. The bride and groom were treated like royalty and the night was magical! Thank you Smithville, for a night to remember. Pam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Limerick, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Colonial Inn is nestled along the lake at Historic Smithville, a quiet and quaint little village. Plenty of shops, eateries and hospitality await when we stay in one of the lovely B&B rooms at the Inn or in one of the larger family suites in The Barn when we bring our grandchildren at Christmastime to enjoy all of the wonderful festivities. The staff at the Inn are always friendly and ready to chat. The shopkeepers are pleasant and ready to help as you browse the many shops. Along with Costella's Pizza (which is the best!) and Scoops (the old fashioned ice cream shop) there are eateries to please everyone's palette. Colonial Inn and Historic Smithville are the perfect place to go for a nice relaxing getaway!

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Through AAA we purchased a package which involved a two night stay at The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville; a Wine Tasting; and a Sample Soap. This package was well worth the money and our room at The Colonial Inn was more like a mini suite. It was in the Barn section and consisted of a living area with dining table; a mini refrigerator and microwave, the bathroom, and bedroom. It was furnished in a colonial style including a sampler from more than 100 years ago. Everything was fine and the people working there were extremely nice. Only a few complaints - having the sink separate from the toilet and shower was a little inconvenient. The air condition was noisy at times although I have noticed this problem at more expensive places. As someone else already commented: the continental breakfast (which you ordered the day before) consisted of orange juice; a hot beverage of your choice; a croissant or large muffin; and yogurt. This was all nicely served in a picnic basket which we picked up in the main office. I would have preferred something a little more special but I realize there are bakeries and places to eat on site. In addition the yogurt would have been healthier if it were Greek Yogurt which has a lot more protein and fewer carbs than the yogurt served. Consequently I only ate half of it. The room or mini suite was clean, well furnished and equipped although a larger bar of soap would be nice. Anyway, I would recommend this as a very good place to stay for a nice long weekend. There are plenty of interesting shops in Smithville although why no regular children's clothing shop, I don't understand.
Our dinner at The Smithville Inn was excellent and the wine mark-up was very fair.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Barn portion of the Inn in Room 308. It was very nice and the mini fridge very use...
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We really enjoyed our two-day stay at the Colonial Inn in Smithville. There are 3 options, the Inn itself, the Barn, and some rooms that are situated among the shops. Our lovely room, the Baremore, was in the Inn, and was just delightful. Every morning, we would do down the hall and enter the cute little coffee shop where we received a basket containing a muffin, juice, and yogurt. Coffee, tea and other hot and cold drinks were included as part of the room charge, and were available for free throughout the day. The village is charming and very well maintained, with lots of colorful flowers and nice landscaping throughout. We went to a wildlife refuge that was nearby, and also into Atlantic City. We at dinner at the Smithville Inn which was very nice, and also at the Oyster Creek Restaurant a few miles away on Leeds Point. Overall, a great experience--highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville? Share your experiences!