“Bad experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Smithville B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Bad experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Before booking the hotel I searched for reviews but unfortunately I got confused and read the reviews of the Red carpet inn, the one conveniently located close to Atlantic City boardwalk. The hotel staff said that the casinos and boardwalk are close like 7 miles, but is actually 13. Paid $70 for a room that was dirty, smelly, with overly used towers and with a joke of a breakfast. The bed was screeching terribly, I was afraid i'll wake up my husband when turning. The bathroom was dirty, the door was not closing properly. This hotel was even below my lowest expectations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I had the worst customer service of my life. I made the prepaid reservation at 145 and after realizing that I had lost my credit card attempted to cancel not 10 minutes later when informed that I would have to pay for the lodgings anyway I went to extreme effort by driving over 60 miles to go to my bank to replace the list card. I was informed on my return that I had to be penalized the nights room rate and that despite paying in full already I would not be allowed to lodge. Hotel.com even tried to intercede on my behalf but despite paying for the room in full I was simply rebuffed with a single word. "Policy". I never sought a refund. All that I wanted was the nights lodging that I paid for on the same night I paid for. Disgusting.

• Stayed August 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

When I first got there, the guy at the front desk wasn't friendly. All he said was "ID and credit card", after he typed on his computer, he slapped my key on the desk.
The room is small, the television didn't have many channels, the sheets on the bed were of the lowest quality you can buy and the towels looked like they were once white but are now a yellow color. The neighbors were loud as well.
What can you expect for the low price though? All I needed was a place to stay for a couple days, but if you desire an experience go some place else!

• Stayed July 2013
Leola, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We just got back from spending two nights at Red Carpet Inn. Every year we got to New Jersey for fourth of July weekend. Last year we stayed at a Red Carpet Inn and we liked it. However, I was really disappointed. And I feel like they took advantage of us and stole from us. We booked the place through hotwire.com. We paid for the room and everything. We were on a tight budget but could afford the price. It wasn't until we got there that we were told that since we booked it online and made the reservations ahead of time, they would charge us an extra $3 a night. I guess because of that we felt totally taken advantage of. I feel like the clientele should be told that when they book the trip. What were we to do? We were in a new area and it was 10 p.m. at night. So what were we gonna do but pay the xtra money. And it added up because we were there more than one night. If that wasn't bad enough- when we booked the motel we were told that it had free continental breakfast. Which was very important to us. I have a severe medical condition. And if I don't eat as soon as I get up in the morning I need to eat something almost immediately or I get really sick due to my blood sugars dropping. I looked on the papers where we booked online and it said that free continntental breakfast included, therefore I did not pack any breakfast. We get there and we are told that no, we cannot have any breakfast. They said they don't serve breakfasts except on the weekend. I was really upset about this due to the fact that I have a severe medical condition with blood sugar and we had specifically looked and it said it included breakfast. I cannot tell you how upset I was. iIF YOU DONT' SERVE BREAKFAST THEN IT SHOULD NOT SAY FREE BREAKFAST INCLUDED ON THE RESERVATIONS WE PRINTED OUT. IT SHOULD SAY THAT BREAKFAST IS NOT INCLUDED. THIS IS LYING..... We got to our room. It was really hot outside. The air conditioner in the hotel room was NOT turned on. The room was all hot and stuffy. When we left since we were staying another night we left the air conditioner on thinking it would be nice and cool when we got back. No, we were wrong. Someone went into our room and turned the air off!! It was over 9o degrees outside and you f'ing turn our air off? You've got to be kidding me. Not only that in the couple days we stayed there- never once was there a fullsize towel in our room. It was my husband and I in the room and all we had was a little hand towel. We will NOT be staying there ever again!!!!!! And we found roaches in the room!!! So disgusting!!!! We definitely were not given what we paid for and I will not be ripped off like that again. You are lied to when you book the reservation obviously and I will not be lied to!!!! THat is such horrible customer service!! And it was like they didn't even care that we were lied to. THey did nothing to make it right. We were never told when checkout time is. So we figured it was 12. Before 11:30 we were getting ready and packing everything up. We get a phone call and it was the hotel manager asking when the heck we were gonna check out!! Such poor and rude customer service!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We booked for 2 nights and 3 days trip in this hotel through clear trip. The location is good. But Taj..with the name we booked and we did not like the way the hotel staff treated us. As soon as we entered the hotel staff welcomes us..all good..after that he says madam your booking through clear trip does not have breakfast coupon so you have to pay..fine..but the way he told us and the time when he told us was horrible(within 5 minutes of entry)...and there was no sun bed provided we need to call and inform them to provide the sun bedding in the outside area..we ordered a briyani for dinner and it was not at all good.. that too came after 1 hour we ordered. while leaving he told us to come to take the airport shuttle by 12.20 and we arrived by 12.25 and he says you need to pay 2500 and take private taxi. But meanwhile one another hotel staff helped us take the shuttle. Basically i feel the hotel staff are not trained properly. I will not go back to this place again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

If your a single guy looking for a place to crash, maybe. Took our family and was not happy. Bed was very hard. Pillows were so small...you cannot even call it a pillow. Continental breakfast was some muffins, coffee and juice...charged 20 extra dollars for 2 kids after I already booked online. Fiind something better!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

1. Bid via priceline for $75 US a night (typically I can get a four star for this price so I was surprised I ended up with the Red Carpet Inn) for the Canadian long weekend so I didn't choose this place. I have never stayed at a hotel less than 3 stars (not trying to sound snobby - just giving a reference) so I was a it worried. Read the reviews and worried more but overall a good experience.
2. Drove from Canada and arrived at 3 a.m. Saturday morning. Called ahead to ensure they knew to expect me. Motel is family run and really nice individuals: Tina and Sam. I think they are related but I could be mistaken.
3. I stayed in room 206. It was on the second floor. King Size Bed, Flat Screen TV, Large Mini Fridge (not just a bar fridge), Air Conditioning, two bedside tables and a small kitchen table with two chairs, WIFI, coffee maker. I asked if I could check the room first before I settled in, they were ok with that which I appreciated - once again the reviews here were a bit scary.
4. King Size Bed - Comfortable! Comforter was slightly stained probably because it wasn't changed regularly or didn't come out when washed (think white cotton t-shirt sweat stains after you wash the t-shirt) so didn't sleep with it. Bedsheets were clean. I read reviews that there were bed bug problems so I thoroughly checked the bed and mattresses. Mattresses were new and clean so that was a huge relief.
5. Air Conditioning (AC) - room didn't have AC on when we got to the room so it was very hot and stuffy. Turned on high and kept shutting off (perhaps the circuit breaker kept shutting off). Keep it on cool and you will be MORE than cold during the night. In fact had to turn it down a bit because it was TOO cold - so not a problem. It was a bit loud at first but I just tapped it and it stopped making noise.
6. Flat screen TV - was difficult to turn on. I think it was because I don't have the same universal remote at home so it took a while to figure out. CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK: Perhaps have instricutions printed in each room so that guests know how to use the remote.
7. Microwave - didn't use - would assume it works. Clean but dated.
8. Fridge - Dated and clean considering it's an old fridge. Quite large and very cold. Easy to keep stuff in the fridge which was great as I could keep food and snacks for the next day there, including breakfast items (see breakfast point).
9. WIFI - Fast and Free. There is a download limit so if you are downloading a lot of information it will cut you off. I tried to download a 20MB Atlantic City tour guide PDF and I think it cut me off. Other than that it's very good.
10. Coffee maker - wasn't clean (perhaps an oversight by the cleaning lady) but I just rinsed the coffee pot and filter basket and it was decent otherwise.
11. "Breakfast" - This could have been my fault because I went their late (I feel bad as Tina was nice enough to bring the juice and muffins out) but breakfast consisted of coffee, orange juice (think the McDonald's "orange drink" you would get at track and field) and pre-packaged muffins you can get at the dollar store. I wasn't expecting hot items but I was expecting a bit more than that. Wasn't too much of an issue though as I found a local convenience store chain called Wawa nearby (less than a minute drive - turn left out of parking lot) which has everything. They do breakfast sandwiches and hoagies (subs) and prepared food so it was great. You can buy stuff there to go and start your day. CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK: Perhaps provide a toaster and a loaf of bread each day so guests can make toast. An entry level toaster can be purchaed for under $10 or wouldn't cost very much and a loaf of bread is only $2 to $3. Would be a lot more appreciated and easy to clean.
12. Location:
a. The motel is in a suburban area so it's very quiet.
b. Distance to Boardwalk - It's about a 20 minute drive to the boardwalk and if you don't park at the hotels ($10 apparently), there is a lot that charges $5 at the boardwalk in between the two ends of the boardwalk. Found it by accident and it was great!
c. What's nearby - Wawa (24 hour convenience store), gas station, Historic Smithville and Village Green, grocery store, liquor store.
13. Other items:
a. Treat this place like visiting somebody's home as it's owner/family managed. Sam and Tina will go out of their way to help you but don't be rude to them or take advantage of them. When I was checking out, there were some teenagers (or young adults) who booked a room for two people but sneaked in 2 extra people which costs a bit more for extra people. Tina didn't charge them extra but you could tell she was annoyed that she was being lied to.
b. Tub didnt have a stopper so couldn't take a bath or fill up the tub (probably to ensure water use was minimized).
c. Washing machine and dryer available but I didn't use it. Can't comment much
d. Ice box (not an ice dispenser) was good but they don't want you to fill up a huge cooler with all of their ice. I would suggest keeping water bottles in the freezer in your room fridge to act as an ice pack for your cooler. Once it melts you can drink the water!
e. There was a review I read that said the lights were out outside. I found the parking lot very well lit so I'm not sure if the light issue happens often.
f. Sam said the tap water is filtered water but I never drank it so I don't know.
g. The Microwave and fridge are in the closet area and there were no hangers so you may want to bring your own. CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK: Perhaps provide hangers for guests to hang their clothes.
h. There was a review I read that said there was no place to put your suitcase. I just used the table or chair. Alternatively, open one of the bottom drawers of cabinet and you can place your suitcase on top if you don't want to put it on the floor.

Overall an average experience. This is a no-frills place but it is clean and very practical. If you are planning a low budget-trip with a clean room and place to relax after site seeing outside of the boardwalk at night it would suit your needs.

Room Tip: I would suggest the top floor - I stayed in room 206 - it was good. I would assume the ground floor...