“Really?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
metuchen, nj
“Really?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

My recent stay at The Short Hills Hilton was very disappointing. The problem started upon arrival. I was shocked when the gentleman checking me in informed me that my card was declined for the amount of my room. Knowing that the card has a five figure balance, I was completely embarrassed. I called the bank to confirm the balance and asked the gentleman to run the card again. The card worked fine. No apology was given for the embarrassing moment he created. Things only got worse from here. I had two massage appointments booked in the spa. When I arrived at the spa I was informed that only one massage would be accommodated due to the lack of personnel. To be fair, other services were offered to me but I declined. At this point I was offered a meager gesture of a free drink and two thirty minute extension vouchers to be used on my next visit. They were assuming that I would be back. When I finally made it to the pool I ordered two drinks that took more than thirty minutes to arrive. Things were not going well. Next were drinks and dinner in the bar lounge area. The service was unprofessional and lackadaisical. The Hilton expects its guests to pay top dollar for its services, shouldn't the guests have their expectations met as well? The answer is yes! However, on this visit to the Hilton my experience did not exceed my expectations.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
PeterWebster007, General Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, December 23, 2009
I am disappointed to read your poor review. Your stay was certainly not indicative of our usual high standards and i hope it will not deter you from staying with us again on a future occasion.

Regards

Peter Webster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

Returned to this hotel to give it another try, and without any intervention by management, the stay was uneventful and very pleasant. Check-in was easy and without a problem. Josh at the front desk was very professional and pleasant.

The front desk manager, Melissa, did see that I had returned after my stay was completed, and sent a very nice email. So, recovery is everything. I enjoyed my stay and will stay again. Thank you for a good experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for trying us again and for posting a postive review. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon when i am confident that you will again have a great stay.

kind regards

Paducah, KY.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

My recent stay at the Short Hills Hilton was brief and I was thankful for only the one night. I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel many times before when it used to be "the" place to stay in Northern New Jersey. I believe that the issues that I experienced are not necessarily emblematic of the property but more representative of the economical downturn.

When I arrived via taxi from Newark Airport, there was no bellman at the door, which has never happened at this location. I went to check-in and the young lady behind the desk was on the phone taking a reservation. Not necessarily surprising at a hotel but you would not expect this to happen at a hotel of this supposed stature. After she completed the call, she then answered the phone which typically would be the responsibility of a PBX operator. After completing the check-in I continued to my room which I found to be clean but tattered, both on the furniture and linens.

I went down to the restaurant for lunch and the lack of professionalism abounds with virtually no uniforms and totally unkempt looking staff. Frankly, I could have been at a Denny's restaurant and expected the same.

That evening we had a gathering in the lounge and there was not a server but rather the bar tender was also the server, which is not representative of the class that this hotel used to have.

In closing, while the stay was virtually problem free, it does not represent or meet the expectations that I have based on the history of the hotel as well as the pricing that you pay to stay there. While the hotel may not admit it, it appears that it is falling victim to insufficient cash flow and thus cutting back on staff and capital items has become a necessary evil.

If you are looking for a pampering, first class experience, this is not the place for you, although in the location of the property I'm not sure what the alternative would be.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
PeterWebster007, General Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, September 7, 2009
Thank you for your feedback though i am sorry that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay.

I note that you didnt receive poor service, just that there was fewer staff that particular evening. Reading your review i assume you checked in on a very quiet night as we normally always have more than enough team members on duty.

I hope that this experience will not deter you from staying again, as we are still the hotel of choice in the area.

Kind regards

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

just spent a night here and I'm really trying to understand why this hotel is considered 5 star. It's a typical Hilton but with gaudy decor, unjustifiably high prices and average service. If I hadn't heard about how great this hotel is, I suppose my expectations wouldn't have lead to disappointment. It's a fair 4 star hotel but nothing more. The bed was very comfortable, the concierge in the executive level was never there, food service at the pool (fruit plate and a bottle of wine) took over an hour and we were the only people there, and the breakfast buffet is the standard Hilton breakfast. Shannan at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback.

Just to clarify, we are not a 5 diamond hotel but one of the five 4 diamond properties in NJ.

I am sorry that you felt our decor was gawdy; many guests compliment us on our furnishings, comparing to classic properties.

I hope to welcome you back again when you are next visiting the area.

kind regards

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

I have stayed at the hotel numerous times over the past three months, and have always found it to be immaculate, beautifully appointed, comfortable and quiet, with gracious, helpful staff. The restaurant / room service are delicious and innovative, without straying from the comfort zone (but expensive!) If you have a Visa Signature card, there is a fantastic room discount (25%) available until Sept. 30, at the hilton.com/visa web address.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

france
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

This hotel is OK. Don't expect the real 5 star treatment though. The staff have no idea about manners. We stayed in this hotel several times through the company we work for and every morning we got the same off-hand treatment by the usher lady in the breakfast room. Just like everybody else. She couldn't be more ill-mannered if she tried! Room service is expensive, you have to pay for wireless per computer, the pool is tired, no dressing gowns in rooms any more and coffee makers don't work very well. There used to be complimentary tea/coffee in the lounge through the mornings. The last time we stayed we had to move rooms because of noisy neighbours. The Mall over the road is absolutely lovely but not enough of an attraction to make us stay in this hotel again. It is essentially a dormitory for Lufthansa crews. Our employer has started to consider other options in the area. Pity. It used to be a nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
mserban, General Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, August 18, 2009
Thank you for your feedback though i was sorry to read that you were disappointed with your recent stay.
In response to your feedback, we do still serve complimentary coffee every morning in the lobby as well as provide free in room coffee. The outside pool was just refurbished this spring and the indoor pool was completely renovated in the fall; both have received great reviews from other guests. Regarding bathrobes, these are available on our executive level as well as other amenities including access to the exclusive lounge, serving free breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres.
I hope that you will try us again when you are next in NJ as we are still the premier hotel in the area.
Peter Webster, General Manager
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

I was very disappointed in this hotel. The hotel is located in one of the nicest suburbs in New Jersey and I/we received horrible service from the night managers and the bar/restaurant manager.

First, the ice machine on our floor must have been leaking b/c right next to it was a huge puddle of water and a disgusting mildew smell.

Secondly, on my last night someone charged $300 of drinks to my room, which over 3 weeks later still has not been rectified.

Good luck.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response though, as we discussed on the phone, i am sorry you were inadvertently incorrectly charged for drinks late at night in the bar. This refund was processed in full shortly after we spoke.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Peter Webster, General Manager

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!