“Good business hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Hilton Short Hills
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   41 John F. Kennedy Parkway, Short Hills, NJ 07078   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Summer Family Fun Awaits!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Good business hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I do not typically prefer the Hilton chain. I did not have high expectations but this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Staff and level of service was excellent, all requests were handled promptly- cannot be any better than that. The room (upgraded to a suite) was comfortable, huge, design was oldfashioned and some of it looked somewhat aged (also in some other places in the hotel), large bathroom and huge shower, fully equipped. Room was clean. Thin walls but not noisy. Will come back, appropriate place for business (there is a spa and a swimming pool that I did not try).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Paul H, Director of Sales at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Look forward to seeing you back at the hotel during your next business trip. We truly appreciate your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Once again we're off a weekend get away and this time it included the Winter Wine Festival which was held at the Hilton in Short Hills, NJ. We arrived a bit early and headed into the Retreat (Bar/Lounge Area). The Retreat area is a wonderful area to have drinks and unwind. We checked out the menu and decided on the Chardonnay(delightful) and the Vegetable Quesadillas (delicious). After enjoying our pre-check-in lounging, we headed to the front desk and was given our room keys with ease. The process was quick and efficient given that there were many guests milling around for the Winter Wine Festival and other events/occasions. Our room was very nice and cozy - quiet and serene. However, I just cannot understand why they do not offer free or complementary Wi-fi for their guests, that was the only draw back. On a happy ending, the staff were all very nice and the Short Hills Mall was directly across from the hotel so we were able to ride on over and do our thing window shop ;-)

Room Tip: Our rooms were two doors away from the elevators and surprisingly it was no more noisy than any othe...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Next time make it a longer Retreat. Hope to see you back at the Hilton Short Hills soon!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Admittedly the reception area was in the final stages of a refurbishment, so the first impression was not brilliant. As a Hilton Gold member I am usually forunate to be given an upgrade during my stays, unfortunately on this occasion I was told that it was necessary to be a Diamond member for such a privilege. Also an automatic access to the Exec lounge was also a Diamond prerogative at this location, although the receptionist did eventually allow me to have lounge access for the duration of my stay (but apparently I "must not expect it every time").

After this rather disappointing start, I found the room to be a decent size with a KIng bed, it was quiet, warm and comfortable with plenty of lights. Strangely the desk height was much too high when compared to the maximum height of the desk chair, I had to work with my laptop on my knees as I was otherwise going to be 'typing uphill'.

I had hired a meeting room in the hotel to meet with colleagues ($300 per day), I had asked for use of an LCD computer projector but the hotel wanted to charge me an additional $650 for the day, ludicrous as I could buy a projector for less. The compromise was that they provided a screen, power supply and cables and a colleague brought a projector from our own NJ office, nonetheless the hotel still charged $175 for IT support.

If staying here again I would not bother with the restaurant breakfast, all in all it was rather disappointing, the staff in the restaurant were very pleasant and attentive but the breakfast buffet is not up the usual Hilton standard, perhaps I was there too early in the morning (due to having just flown in from the UK).

At checkout, my bill showed the expected charges, plus the $300 for the meeting room and the charge for the IT support, there was also another $230+ for an unspecified Business Center charge, the receptionist did what she could to ascertain what this related to, but was unable to track it down. I was given no alternative but to pay this unspecified charge and discuss it later when the appropriate Manager was back in the office (I was checking out on Saturday afternoon) and when I was back in the UK.

In summary, the accommodation was clean and tidy, warm and comfortable, the business meeting room logistics were a bit excessive, I did not get much chance to sample the food apart from a single breakfast during the 4 day stay. I would recommend taking the continental breakfast option in the Exec lounge if you have the opportunity, it is free: fruit, muffins, toast, croissants, juice, tea/coffee etc.

There is a shuttle service from hotel to the airportAirport ($32 per person to EWR) but not from the airport to the Hotel. If you are travelling alone, use the hotel shuttle to take you back to the airport otherwise a cab will cost $46 + a tip. If there is >1 in your party, the cab will be cheaper as the shuttle charges $32 per person. Speak to the concierge, he was very willing to help.

Room Tip: There is a shuttle service from hotel to Airport ($32 per person) but not from airport to Hotel. If...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I would be happy to connect with you to discuss your comments further. You provided some very specific information which helps us as we consider renovations and improvements to the hotel.

Please contact me at 973-912-7959 or by email at paul.holden@hilton.com

Director of Sales
Teaneck, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel and staff were wonderful, allowing me a very early check-in and late check-out. Knowing it was my birthday, the surprised me with a gift of pretty pastries. The room was clean and well cared for, but it may be time to update the bathrooms.

Room Tip: A room facing the woodlands is very peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Paul H, Director of Sales at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Well Happy Birthday one more time! I am glad we made your stay a special one.

Hope to see you again soon.
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Jan 2013 was my third stay and I look forward to returning. The entire staff, especially the manager, could not be more helpful and pleasant. Self-parking is simple, the food is delicious, and the pool is great.

Room Tip: Get to know the manager.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Paul H, Director of Sales at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review. We look forward to your return to the Hilton Short HIlls. Safe Travels!
Montclair, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Hilton used to be a premiere spot in NJ. Sadly the facilities as well as the management are a great disappointment. Employees there can be very rude. Even though you are a consumer and could go anywhere in the NY/NJ area, you are made to feel like you are worthless! Snobby attitude that is totally unwarranted. The food is mediocre.
The spa services are iffy and the pool is very shallow and small, making it difficult to really get a good swim in. The locker room in the spa is in need of updating and not particularly clean. Try the Westminster Hotel nearby, reportedly one of the best in NJ.

Room Tip: I would suggest the Westminister Hotel In LIvingston.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Paul H, Director of Sales at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to write and reach out to us. We take this situation very seriously, and I can assure you and all readers that this is absolutely not indicative of the experience we strive to deliver our guests. Please e-mail us your contact information directly at paul.holden@hilton.com so that we may follow up personally and immediately.

Director of Sales & Marketing
973-912-7959
nj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at this property for one night for a mini slumber party for our daughter's birthday, mainly because of the pool. It wa a good size pool for the kids to swim around for a couple of hours.

It was very difficult for me to rate this hotel poor even though we enjoyed our stay very much and the hotel staff was very nice and accomodating. The great things first - the spa and fitness center were tastefully done. The pool, locker area, steam shower, sauna were awesome. The hotel room was well maintainted, nice and clean with lots of traditional decoration. I think it would be better if the hotel rooms have the similar clean modern look like the spa. We also ate at the Madison for breakfast. The food and service were good. Typical continental breakfast plus additional hot stations like sausage, bacon, omellete,etc. Based on these experience alone, I would rate the hotel excellent.

Unfortunately, I have a very unpleasent experience that brought down my rating from excellent to poor. The main reason I gave this hotel a poor rating was due to their valet service. I could care less about the valet since I did not use their service, but I cared a lot more when safety (or lack thereof) was involved. The hotel management really should train their valet staff to obey the safety rules. My wife almost got ran over by the valet parking attendant in front of the hotel before checking in. The driver claimed that his view was blocked by the sunglare and did not see her walking with her suitcase. I thought that the driver would learn his lesson and drove carefully but it was the opposite. As soon as he apologized he stepped on the gas and raced toward the valet parking lot which was literally across from the hotel lobby, like nothing happened. I was just glad that nobody got hurt. But to have this type of experience at the hilton short hills was not acceptable at all.

Room Tip: -Try to book the executive level rooms. nightly appetizers and daily breakfasts were worth an upgra...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Paul H, Director of Sales at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
First off, congratulations on your daughters Birthday...what a special day for her! I am glad we could be a part of her celebration.

Thank you for all the positive feedback regarding your experience at the hotel. We truly pride ourselves as being New Jersey's premier hotel provide first class service to every guest.

With that said, your expereince with the valet is quite converning and I have reviewed this situation in detail with our General Manager. Our guests saftey is paramount and we appreciate you bringing this situation to our attention.

Director of Sales & Marketing
973-912-7959

Please follow up with us if you would like to discuss further.

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!