“Elegant luxury within reach of New York City” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Upscale Getaway from $179
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
New York City, New York
“Elegant luxury within reach of New York City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was entirely pleased with the quality of service and services provided by this hotel. I had previously visited for a business event, which made the hotel seem dreary in the middle of Northern New Jersey.

This time, I was there for a family event and couldn't have been more satisfied. The rooms are very carefully appointed, and don't feel as dated as the hotel exterior might suggest they are. Service and attention to detail were also very good. The only negatives were spotty wi-fi and proximity only to the Short Hills Mall.

There are no city views, and you can't go downstairs and instantly find yourself at a coffee shop in SoHo. But if you find yourself in Short Hills for the weekend, definitely check out this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Paul H, Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your time with us! I will share your feedback with the wifi situation with our IT team.

Thank you!

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton in Short Hills for the New Year. I was very happy with my stay and the staff. Everyone greeted us with a hello and a smile. This Hotel was clean and close to NYC. The drive to Manhattan is about 20-30 mins without traffic and I was near two malls, Livingston and The Mall at Short Hills. The hotel is across the street from the Mall at Short Hills. The Mall at Short Hills is a high-end mall with boutique and high-end stores like Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany’s, Montblanc, and stores of that level. Before I booked this hotel, I read the reviews on Trip Advisor. Some reviewers said the prices for the food at the hotel were high; I agree. Even though the items on the menu sounded mouth watering, the hotel’s dinning services is not one’s only option. There is Cheese Cake Factory and Legal Sea food across the street at the mall and the hotel offers a free shuttle to the mall. I did not use the shuttle because I had a car. Due to the hotel’s location one will need a car to get to the hotel and get around. The views from the hotel are of an office building, the mall and NJ woodlands. There isn’t much to do around the hotel. This hotel is best suited for the corporate business traveler but again, close enough to NYC to allow the option of going into the city without having city life and noise outside the hotel doors. For a few additional dollars, the hotel offers valet parking as well as free parking. I saw the spa and the pool. I didn’t use either but the personnel at the spa were very friendly when I walked in asking about their services and directions to the pool. Free Wi-Fi is available in the lobby and in the conference rooms but not in hotel rooms. There is a $9.99 charge for Wi-Fi in the hotel rooms.

As another reviewer said, the walls are thin. I was able to hear my neighbors’ TV, but this was not a future deal breaker. This hotel is great for the corporate business traveler but if one uses their imitation, the hotel’s location, spa and pool is a good landing spot for relaxation after a stressful week or weekend getaway with high-end shopping and a NYC option. Turnoff work mode, shop, party in the city then rest and recuperate at the Hilton in Short Hills.

In the end, the rates were reasonable for its location. In the past I’ve paid more for less service and quality. I travel to New Jersey often and I plan to stay at the Hilton in Short Hills again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic review! I am pleased that you had such a great experience and were able to enjoy some of the areas amenities and attractions.

All the best!

Newport News, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I am a Hilton Diamond and I have just returned from a long weekend at the property. The staff were friendly, helpful and competent.

Unfortunately, the place delivers EXACTLY what you pay for. I checked in Friday. I had reserved a Jr Suite. I requested an upgrade -- none were available. Okay, fair. I then mentioned that we were looking forward to enjoying the HHonors Lounge. I was told it was "closed." Had I known this I would have gone to another property. I told the clerk this and she apologized and asked "wasn't that lounge closure on the website?" No. As a matter of fact it was not. Later I asked for a late check-out for 4pm. "Sorry. That is not possible." If you hold status with Hilton, DO GO elsewhere!

Also, we noticed that there was a white-ish drip on the headboard of the bed. Gross!

No plans to return anytime soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am disappointed that we did not deliver what you expected while staying with our hotel. I would like to discuss your situtation further so I can fully understand your experience and review with our team. Please reach out to me at your convenience at paul.holden@hilton.com.

Pittsford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stay here when visiting friends in Summit, NJ. It's a great location. The staff is always kind and efficient. There is a nice shopping center across the street. Free parking, fitness center and pool are a bonus.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul H, Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you so much for this positive feedback, we hope to see you back a the hotel soon! Enjoy the remainder of your holidays.

Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Though my son was getting married at a nearby synagogue, I felt like I was away on vacation at this five star hotel, which we used as the base for 200 overnight guests. Hands down, everyone enjoyed an excellent rehearsal dinner buffet in the beautiful completely new Mendham Room, situated right next to a fun bar and then breakfast in the stunning Salons B & C. We weren't the only wedding party in the hotel as the staff was handling another full wedding, including the wedding service and Saturday night dinner. Everyone of the guests that I spoke to raved about the hotel service, food, amenities, spa and trolley transportation to and from the synagogue. The bridal suite on the executive level is huge and amazing! We started planning a year earlier with catering manager Lauren Rabinowitz and Christopher Shapiro; Rooms Reservation Managers Lauren Maddox and Emily Wassick. You couldn't ask for a more attentive, caring group of wedding planners. The Short Hills Mall across the street within walking distance of the hotel is a bonus added, with excellent shopping at boutique and high end stores.

Room Tip: A couple of people expressed concerns about the heating system with some rooms being too warm. We d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Paul H, Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Short Hills for this special event. I can't wait to thank my team for the amazing experience they created for you and your family!

Such positive feedback will be celebrated!

Greenwich, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

When I was younger I remember this being quite an amazing place. My grandparents live about 30 minutes away so we would come here sometimes. It seems as though the staff still thinks that this place is as elegant and high-end as it used to be, and they have the attitudes and superficiality that comes with that.
The nightly rate was very high both times I stayed this year (over $280) and there wasn't anything to show for it. Check in was bland and they don't follow the Hilton Honors program. The bellmen were too busy talking to themselves to acknowledge me and the girl at the desk never made eye contact with me either, very unpleasant. No genuine welcome or care existed. How can you work at a hotel and not have a personality?
The rooms were old and dingy..had a stale smell and the decor was very worn down. The room wasn't that clean, you can tell the housekeeping team rushed through. Either the walls are thin or the housekeeping staff is just that inconsiderate, or possibly both are true. The staff loved to yell down the halls to each other in different languages. Again, rude.
One time I had an issue with my room and called down to the operator one morning. She mumbled something into the phone and clearly didn't listen to me when I spoke to her. Was I interrupting her from something? I got a fake "sorry" and no real solution. Again, no care or genuine concern.. for $280+ a night. Rudeness everywhere!
I had the misfortune of meeting some of the managers on a few occasions and it explains quite a bit. The two men I spoke to in the lobby lacked a lot. The tone of their voice was very superficial. It's as if they memorized a script and didn't really care about the person they were actually talking to. It's quite offensive to be spoken to in such a condescending way. It makes sense that the staff is so awful when the management is even worse. How do these people keep their jobs?
I didn't eat here or use the spa, so I can't comment. I heard the spa was beautiful so it may be worth a look. Nothing else is worth your time. The management here have a very superficial attitude and there is clearly no true and genuine passion for their jobs and their hotel guests. That attitude is quite evident in the staff as well, except they didn't memorize a fake script, they just don't care.
Maybe as a consultant, I am quite harsh in this review, but professionally I would consider this management ineffective. There were a few "diamonds in the rough" that work there, but the other staff are so bad that it doesn't even matter. This place absolutely suffers from delusions of grandeur. I hope one day it earns a return to the great status it once had.

Room Tip: The hotel has a lot of suites to spare. Always ask for an upgrade before you arrive.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Paul H, Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are sorry to hear you were not pleased with your experience at our hotel. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the stay with you personally so that we might make adjustments to our services to better meet and exceed the needs of our guests in the future. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to have another chance at show you the quality experience you look for should you return to the area in the future.

Speak with you soon,
973-912-7959
paul.holden@hilton.com
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

They train everyone to exhibit great customer service. It is a great place. Beatifully decorated for the holidays. Apple cider & freshly baked cookies in the afternoon in the lobby. Concierge level is awesome. Breakfast/lunch/dinner great. If you are an Honors member you get extra amenities. Short Hills Mall is across the street. The house car will take you there so you can avoid the hassle of parking!

Room Tip: Every room is great!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Anthony S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback about your recent visit to our property. I am delighted to read that you were satisfied with your stay and were able to enjoy all the hotel has to offer! As a Hilton Honors member, we truly appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!