“Mediocre at Best” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
“Mediocre at Best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Very disappointing after reading many positive reviews. Food was weak and the service was poor. They were understaffed and basic menu items (Clams Oreganata, Filet Mignon) weren't available. The owner was not around and apparently that has an negative effect on the dining experience. I understand that it's challenging to keep staff at the end of the season but we didn't have any problems when eating at Mud City or the Sand Box Cafe and its not like the prices are reduced to account for the subpar meal. Approach with caution (maybe confirm that the owner is there the evening you go).

• Visited August 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Ringwood, New Jersey
“Finally a place with great Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have been dining on LBI for over 40 years....and this place, by far, is currently THE best restaurant on the island!

The service was outstanding! The owner, Marc, even came over to our table to see how our meal was. He personally brought out a complimentary appetizer of stuffed rigatoni, that was freshly made and fabulous! He is a very "hands-on" owner and works hard to ensure that his customers are more than satisfied with their meal. I love how he took such pride in his food!!!

My husband, being a true Italian, has very high standards for Italian food which is hard to come by on an island. Marc has found a way to make sure lovers of true Italian food will NOT be disappointed. Ohhhhh....the bread....it is all about the bread....and THIS bread connoisseur was totally impressed....we even bought a loaf to take home with us!!!!

I had the Summer Salad...with a dressing on it that somehow accomplished the salty sweet crave! Amazing and so fresh!

My husband had the mussels in white sauce that consisted of a hearty bowl of yumminess!

We shared the linguini and marina sauce - homemade sauce by the way which was excellent!- broccoli rabe and summer vegetables! We could not finish it all!!

And for dessert!!!! Oh my word!! The bread pudding in banana forester is by far the best I have ever had in my life. My husband and I usually share a dessert, to watch my girlish figure, well....my husband did not have a prayer.....yup I pretty much ate the whole thing!! And it was well worth every bite!

The cappuccino was delicious too!

I cannot wait to return!!! And....it is a BYOB.....even better!!

A little FYI- this is only the second review I have ever written (my first being for the same restaurant on yelp!)....I cant be bothered really.......but this place was THAT good and the owner's touch impressed me THAT much I had to share our experience!

LBI is lucky to have such a gem of a restaurant as this one!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harvey Cedars, New Jersey
“Tonite the Best was Last”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Da Vinci’s is a typical deli and dinner, Italian style restaurant in Jersey. My wife and I ate there on a Saturday evening. I want to start the review with the last thing we ate, our dessert, the Bread Pudding Bananas Foster. It’s not Italian, but it was spectacular. Best way to describe it is to picture bread pudding covered with Bananas Foster all swimming in a sauce that tasted like melted vanilla ice cream. I loved it! Ok, back to the beginning. Our waitress brought several slices of crusty bread along with a basil/olive oil dip. Both the bread and dip were very good. We started dinner by splitting their lobster ravioli. The app came out with 3 large ravioli covered in a creamy, sun dried tomato pesto sauce. It arrived minutes after we had ordered it and a little less warm than I like, which made me think it had been prepared sometime before we arrived at the restaurant. But, the texture of the ravioli was al dente and the combined flavor (sauce and lobster) was excellent.
Regarding the entrees, my wife had the maccheroni ala Bolognese. The maccheroni was rigatoni. She thought it was good; my impression was that the Bolognese sauce was pretty bland. I had one of their specials – Shrimp Imperiale. The shrimp was stuffed with crab meat and covered with a cherry tomato sauce all on top of (a somewhat watery) sautéed spinach. For me, the dish had too much garlic. For Italian-type restaurants in the US, the addition of loads of garlic seems to be de rigueuer. Da Vinci’s continues what I think is a misinterpretation of Italian cuisine. The good news is that even though my entree was loaded with garlic, the garlic wasn’t overcooked and therefore not bitter – a good thing. In our family my Sicilian-born grandmother used garlic in a only a few dishes, and when she did she used it very sparingly. It was there to enhance the main dish and not there to be the major flavor. Also, the dish would have benefited from lump crab not the shredded variety that was used in the dish I had. We also ordered a side of grilled asparagus, which was tasty. Da Vinci’s is in a recently renovated location. It has a small dining area; however the tables are adequately spaced, so we didn’t feel too close to the other diners. There is outdoor dining available and the service is friendly and attentive. It is a BYOB establishment. The deli and dining areas appear very clean as was the restroom. Reservations are probably a good idea.

In summary, we had a great lobster ravioli appetizer and a fantastic dessert - bread pudding bananas Foster. The entrees fell short for me. The rigatoni was cooked well, but the sauce did not have a lot of taste. Regarding the shrimp dish, I know there are a lot of folks who enjoy dishes with lots of garlic, but that’s not me (and it’s really not Italian). In this case, I guess, the spinach provided the majority of the garlic. Also, I would have drained the water after the spinach was sautéed and added a little olive oil on the spinach before plating the shrimp. The dinner without drinks with tip and tax was about $109.00.

• Visited June 2014