“This place is great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ship Bottom
Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel
Save Saved
You added Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel to your Saves list
119 East 9th Street, Ship Bottom, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ship Bottom
Albany, New York
“This place is great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Clean, quiet, safe, and the best ocean front view and beach I have seen in the NE. Ocean front rooms are a great price off season and I cant imagine how much fun summer is here. Tons of Restaurants close by and Ron Jons across the street. Reminds me of Canaveral National Sea Shore in Fla only 1,000 miles north! I drive out of my way in NJ to stay here. I am a Hampton guy but I will drive by one to stay here and see the ocean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed at this motel off-season for a wedding this month. The motel was clean but a little outdated for furnishings and decoration - no flat screen tv, etc.

Location was great - right on the beach and you can walk to restaurants and stores. Right next to a CVS.

Since it was off season it was very quiet. I can imagine it's very lively, crowded and highly trafficked during the summer.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed here with my daughter's High School Volleyball Team on an overnight trip. Pat the owner and Karen the manager could not have been more accommodating! We had a block of nine rooms in the oceanfront building and it could not have worked out better. Parking near the rooms, walk right out on to the beach. The children and adult chaperones both loved it! The fact that the motel provides a bagel breakfast each morning is a big plus. Location is excellent too. Walking distance to many restaurants and convenience stores, right on the beach and right at the end of the causeway. Rooms were clean and well maintained perfect for our needs as a group. Plan to go back with the family in the Summer and again with the team in the Fall.

Room Tip: Oceanfront Building is right on the beach but all buildings are very close as well. You can probably...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We returned to the Drifting Sands and once again was extremely happy with our accomodations. The room was spacious and clean. The staff was extremely helpful in making our mini-vacation enjoyable. It is quite evident that the owner "Pat" and his team are committed to serving their guests with the highest degree of respect and hospitality--there was even free bagels and coffee on Sunday morning!!!!

Go ahead - book a room - you will not regret it!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

What more can I say about opening my eyes in the morning and seeing the ocean, in a clean comfortable room! I visited LBI this passed July with my family, this would be my first family vacation with my 9 month old son. The rooms were perfect! The size of the room was more than I imagined and perfect for our first vacation. Each morning I fed him on the balcony overlooking the beach. I also traveled with my extended family about 18 of us, including my sister and her 6 month old ( also there first vacation). We were all next to each other which was such a gift! To accommodate all of us coming from all different locations was a plus! Everything was close and the service was 5 stars! *****. We can't wait to go back and stay with our new friends at The Drifting Sands! Thank you for an AMAZING first family vacation! VC

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at the Drifting Sands Motel during a trip to LBI for a wedding. We chose this hotel as the rooms in the Oceanbreeze Building were priced right and, from the photos on the website, the rooms looked bright and inviting. When we arrived, we were less than thrilled. We were in a first floor corner room, which was dark and dated. There were some soiled sheets and towels, only one available electrical outlet in the room and the beds/pillows were not comfortable.

But more than any of that, what concerned me most was the security of the room. The motel's outdoor-entry rooms are accessed by actual keys, the door handle to our room was rickety and there was no deadbolt or deadbolt chain. The parking spots are numbered and assigned to match your room number (if you're room 7, your parking spot is 7), and the parking validation slips that you put in your car window also have your room number on them. Something about that just didn't sit well with me. Especially if we had stayed longer than one night and left our keys unattended in the room (I didn't notice a safe).

I will say that it was a nice touch to have a small refrigerator and table in the room. We didn't use either, but that would be nice to have if we had stayed longer. The staff was also friendly when we checked in and out.

As an overall review, I would probably rate this hotel as two-star (poor) in the grand scheme of hotel ratings, but being that we stayed in one of the efficiency rooms, I’m giving it a three-star rating (average), as it’s probably in line with similar efficiency options. If we were to come to LBI again, I would probably look for another hotel. The Oceanside/Oceanview rooms may be better but, based on this experience, I’d be hesitant to risk too much money on either.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Trenton, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have stayed here many times and will stay here many more. Just now booking again for a stay in September. The place is more than a basic hotel with clean, well maintained rooms and a very helpful staff. The views from the oceanfront rooms are beautiful and yes, expensive, but there are off season rates that are very reasonable. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel? Share your experiences!