“Best experience i've ever had” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Best experience i've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

My waiter Tony was absolutely teriffic.. The food was more than delicious. The prices were reasonable. The atmosphere made me feel at home. Definitely coming here again. My family loved it!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wayne, New Jersey
“Not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I totally agree with the Warning... Review'. The server was odd...saying that our food would be out "when it's ready " was unnecessary and just awkward. The service staff needs some serious lessons in professionalism. Our food was horrible....canned spinach for my husbands filet Oscar $29.99...btw, waitress actually said "not sure why the call it Oscar". She didn't ask how he wanted his filet cooked, so it came overdone for his liking. the crab meat looked like it came out of a can, it was unseasoned on the side of the meat, and very dry'. He did not send it back, we did complain...we paid our $100 bill and got out. This was our third restaurant stop, others has a one to two hour wait....this place had none, I should have seen that as a sign to keep going'. What a waste of $100!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Palm Harbor
“Nice Bar, good pub grub, friendly crowd, music, dancing and Jammin' Karoke”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is a great local LBI place! Right near the causeway in Ship Bottom. They have a wide range of talent providing adult dinner and dance music. The pub grub is really good and their happy hour offers good deals on both food and beverages. The crowd is welcoming and friendly and tends to be on the older side. There's dancing in the bar area and Tammy the bar tender runs around like crazy keeping everybody well supplied with food and drink. Jammin' Janice has a sweet sounding but not overpowering sound system and does a great job, she is the friendliest K-jay you'll ever meet and she will even accompany you with her guitar ocassionally..

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“WARNING: YOU CAN BE ARRESTED IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE FOOD!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

WARNING: YOU CAN BE ARRESTED IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE FOOD THAT IS SERVED HERE. Gordon Ramsay would have a field day with this establishment. Last night marked what can only be described as the worst Restaurant experience I’ve ever had in my life. I’ve worked 6 years in high end catering serving VIPs in Government, Celebrities and Business. I also work in Leadership Development working with new managers and executive leadership teams. The owners/management/staff of the Bayberry Inn (Long Beach Island, NJ) represented a textbook case study in how not to run a restaurant. After a stressful week my date and I planned a last minute day at the beach to Long Beach Island to relax. We had a wonderful day but then came DINNER. After spending a ½ hour trek driving up and down Long Beach Island Blvd looking for a nice restaurant with atmosphere, we stumbled upon the Bayberry Inn or ‘The Twilight Zone’. It looked charming enough: an old Victorian Inn with white picket fences, outdoor patio, candlelit tables. ‘Looked’ perfect on the outside. The first hint of trouble came with the hostess: an older woman (50s) who seemed bewildered and confused as to what I wanted. I said, “Hello, we’d like to sit outside?” She looked at me confused like I had two heads. After repeating party of two she said, oh you can go outside and I’ll bring menus out,” which I thought was odd since usually a host will greet you with a smile, ask how many in your party and escort you to your table. So my date and I went outside and chose our table. The hostess returned with menus and set them at our places. Apparently the owner (I’m guessing, tall, lanky man in his 50s who resembled Thurston Howl III) came out to serve us water and let us know that our waiter would be out shortly. Then came our waiter. For sake of courtesy I’ll omit his real name and call him ‘Ron’. There was a special energy to ‘Ron’, one of hustled purposefulness lacking grace or any sense of volume control. “HI I’M RON, CAN I START YOU FOLKS OF WITH DRINKS.” At first I wondered if Ron’s service was his natural style or ‘an act’ based off of a chapter from General Patton’s Leadership book. Unfortunately we weren’t preparing for battle, we just wanted dinner. The restaurant business is one of the toughest professions to work in. I have tremendous respect for those who make it their profession and do it well. The successful waiter or butler needs a degree of warmth, grace, space for the customer, attentiveness and sharp eye for a customer’s needs during the course of a meal. Ron, was loud, and harried. He was a hard worker but he needed some serious coaching from management.

My date ordered a Martini and asked Ron which type of flavors they had. Ron wasn’t sure so he travelled back to the bar to find out. We placed our drink orders, I had a Margarita. When Ron returned with our drinks I asked Ron about two dishes: the salmon and the Lamb chops. First I asked him about the salmon, how do you like it? Ron: ‘Oh its very good!’ “Well I’m trying to decide between the lamb and the Salmon,” I said... To which Ron jokingly inserted: ‘OH WOW, YOU’RE LOOKING AT TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS, HA, HA!”. Looking at the price points of the entrees, $25, I wanted to get from our waiter a sense of his experience of the dishes and his recommendations. It was becoming apparent Ron was just interested in taking our orders and moving his night along. If you are going to charge $25 a plate for a meal then you had better be on you’re A-GAME, from service to entrée.

Our entrees came with salads and we chose to do an appetizer of calamari. My date and I continued our conversation and after a while we heard Ron bark from across the way, ‘YOU GUYS DOIN’ OK ON YOUR DRINKS!!’ To which I replied, “We’re ok thanks.” Then came the appetizer and salads. The greens tasted generic, iceberg lettuce, few pieces of shaved carrots and a balsamic vinaigrette that was tasteless: like it came from a bottle. As we’re progressing through the evening my radar is starting to go up more. Ron comes spritely down the porch and PROCLAIMS: “OH BOY THE CALAMARI LOOKS REALLY GOOD TONIGHT”! I had the feeling of trying to be sold on something as if this might influence my tip. The calamari was rubbery. Nothing more to say there. Now my radar is really going up. Ron returns to take our salad plates, taking my dinner fork and leaving me with just a small crab fork. Not sure why I had a crab fork in my wrapped silverware to begin with? Salad fork, yes, crab fork?

“GET OUT OF THE RESTAURANT OR I’M CALLING THE POLICE”

Our entrees arrive. My date ordered the Salmon with citrus glaze. I ordered the Lamp Chops. Our plates were small faux 18th century cheap china, dirty plates with depictions of early American farm life. Plateware doesn’t normally bother me, except when you’re being charged $25 entrees. I notice that I don’t have a steak knife and Ron had taken my dinner fork. Ron returns and I ask him for a steak knife and a fork, to which he replies: ‘YOU NEED A DINNER FORK??’ “Yes, a dinner fork and steak knife would be great, thanks!” The small plates featured small portions. My date’s salmon looked sickly: there was no ‘glaze’ but bits of fruit ontop. It was dry, tasteless and luke-warm. Salmon with any sort of glaze should be steamy with the glaze infused in the fish. It should melt in your mouth, especially for $25. My date was less diplomatic. She said it smelled like cat urine. “YOU WANT SOUR CREAM FOR YOUR MASHED POTATOES?” Ron barked from across the way. “No I’m fine,” my date replied. My lamp chops were tiny. Three of them. They weren’t cooked. There was 80% fat. You couldn’t cut them. The lamp chops were placed over a generic piece of lettuce and a small orange peel. Five thin slices of potato accompanied, but in the center, a wonderous sight, BEHOLD: a small plastic container (like the ones you use for condiments at fast food restaurants) of green jello ‘complimented’ the ‘stunning’ visual. At this point I was done. I got up from my table walked inside and asked to see the manager. Ron hurriedly goes to get the manager/owner. Thurston Howl comes out. Immediately I can sense we’re in for trouble. Its High noon on the porch hands on the triggers folks!! The owner/manager’s posture and tone immediately were confrontational, not “I’m sorry what seems to be the trouble, is there a problem with your meal?” Immediately he said: ‘What’s wrong?’ I explained, “I’m about ready to leave, this lamb is tough, full of fat, tasteless. Her salmon is dry, rubbery.” Then my date begins to cut a portion of the lamb I shared with her. Right away my blood begins to boil when I observed the owner watching my date like a hawk as she tried to cut the lamb chop. At first she was cutting the bone, which she realized after a moment, but the owner immediately pounced on that and said condescendingly: ‘oh, that’s why, you’re cutting the bone.’ As she started cutting the meat with great difficulty, again I pointed out the Lamb was tough, the salmon was tasteless: rubbery, and dry. What came next completely floored me. Instead of “I’m sorry, would you like another portion or may I get you something else,” the Owner/Manager gruffly picked up our dishes without word and walked away. Dismayed and angry I got up, walked into the restaurant and demanded, “Is this the way you treat customers?” He tore into me like a hurricane: “You’re insulting my food saying its tasteless. We’ve been serving the lamb all night without any problems! JUST GET OUT. LEAVE,” I was reprimanded. I was stunned and shocked. I couldn’t get another word in. ‘LEAVE! JUST GET OUT!’ he kept saying. Then two other patrons walk in the door and I tell them: “Don’t eat here, the food is terrible. Worst experience”. The owner than yells “GET OUT, IF YOU DON”T LEAVE THIS RESTAURANT I’M GOING TO CALL THE COPS!!” I didn’t say another word. I realized at this point the person I was talking to, who may have been the owner, (certainly the manager) was not balanced and he had no business whatsoever dealing with customers.

Instead of asking the important questions: understanding why we were having a bad experience, he became combative, aggressive and indignant. I had never experienced anything in my life such as what happened at the Bayberry Inn in Long Beach Island, NJ. When I worked in the Restaurant business, if I had a customer who was not pleased with their meal the very first thing I would do is demonstrate a polite, courteous, attentive attitude. I would listen. I would never question the customer’s opinion. I would want to KNOW WHY their particular dish was not up to their expectations so that OUR TEAM could improve. There is a distinct line between mediocrity and High Performance. People who care about High Performance and the pursuit of excellence care about their customers #1 and #2 strive to deliver the best possible experience from service to entree every single time.

Most people don’t speak up when they’re having a bad experience in a restaurant. For whatever reason, they’re afraid, they don’t want to make waves or they’re just plain used to mediocrity. I work hard for my money. If I go to a nice restaurant, I demand the same respect and courtesy I provide for my clients. In this economy when communities are competing even more to bring revenues to their destination spots, merchants and local governments should be working together as a TEAM to leave the best possible impressions on tourists spending their hard earned dollars. Unfortunately this sour experience has tainted my impression of Long Beach Island and will think twice before vacationing there again. I do hope that lessons somehow can be learned. Number 1: You don’t treat a customer with contempt or threaten to call the cops on them because of your poor food and service.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam
“Friendly and Tasty local favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

One of the few places on the island where you can sit out on the deck. Evening entertainment at the bar. A local favorite!

• Visited May 2012