“Can't Wait for Summer” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Lavallette, New Jersey
“Can't Wait for Summer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

One of our favorite places to eat. Totally unpretentious, great value and terrific service. Not classic Mexican food but Mexican with an LBI twist. Can't wait for summer!

Visited September 2012

69% Recommend
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Fab!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

WOW, it was so good. my friend that is a chef took me there. so i knew it had to be good. I dont like mexican food lol. but this place changed my mind!!! The waiting for a table is tuff though. next season you must check it out.....

Visited September 2012
Downingtown, PA
“Tasty, pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

A nice Mexican restaurant right at the causeway on LBI. I got the "fish taco" which is more like a "fish burriot" (which may be typical - it's not something that I usually order) with jalepeno poppers as an appetizer.

The poppers were OK - they didn't seem "homemade", but I'm not sure about that. The fish taco was very good - filling and tasty (blackened tilapia). My kids were quite excited about the "choco taco" for desert, which turned out to be a klondike product - we got it "to go", so it came out in the wrapper. $4 for that - not worth it.

All in all, it was fine - just wasn't worth $73 for lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids with 1 appetizer.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great food. They use local supplies. The fish taco the best and Fried cheesecake. Convenient location

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Decidedly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Located just across the bridge into LBI, LexMex serves what on would expect - burritos, tacos and enchiladas. It's decorated with the de rigeur red chilli lights and terracotta and green walls. It seats about 40 people and there is a busy take-out counter.

Our party of 6 arrived at 7 pm on a weeknight and were seated right away. Our menus arrived with baskets of tortilla chips and a child-friendly (ie not very hot) pico de gallo/salsa which kept us going.

Appetisers were jalapeño poppers which I suspect were frozen as they were a bit watery, and their cheesy chips - tortilla chips topped with melted cheese, scallions, olives, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. The two dishes were plenty for six as an appetiser. The guacamole was mashed avocado and finely chopped onion. I couldn't discern any other flavour or texture in there.

Main courses were served promptly, but before dishes for the appetisers has been cleared, causing a delay whilst I rounded up my tables' dishes and the waitress watched, holding our entrée plates.

The chicken enchilada was flavourful, had about the right amount of filling and seasoning. My dining companions were happy enough with their quesadilla, burritos and fajitas. Food was served onto cold plates, however, meaning that the accompanying rice and beans were lukewarm. we didn't have dessert.

Service was friendly and pleasant if not best organised at times.

Overall, I've had better Mexican food. There's little ambiance about the place and the staff do their best. I'd be more likely to recommend Lex Mex for take-out if you're on LBI and really want a burrito. At least you could microwave your rice and beans at home.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere