“Roshko's is the bomb!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Howell, New Jersey
“Roshko's is the bomb!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I really like this place. everything on menu is delicious but decadent, so if you're watching calories you gotta go for the salads which are really big to fill you up and always fresh stuff. I've had the cheesesteak which is really very good. the homemade seafood bisque is to die for.... I'm serious. also had the mac & cheese and it is amazing! service was always with a smile... that's important to me. at night this place is definitely not lame. really really nice place to dance. drinks are very good but little pricey. crowd is mostly in their 20's and lot of swank like me (single women and no kids) but good number of older couples in their 40's or 50's. music is a good mix and I actually like it when they play occasionally some 1960's classics for the older crowd like "Baby Love" by the Supremes. they put the words to a song on a LED TV type screen so you can sing along with the band if you want... I do and it's so fun it's off the chain! This place is not owned by the AC casinos or some big corporation.... it is family owned and I like that they appreciate my business-- the owner's daughter actually came over to our table to introduce herself and thank us for coming... she was dressed to the 9's but so was the whole crowd so it's the kind of place where you can dress to be fly.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Absecon, New Jersey
“Shore Thing is a sure thing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Sorry if my caption "Shore Thing is a sure thing" is a little corny, but it's the best I could think of. This place is family owned and I like it. Their burgers and steak sandwich are the best around in my opinion. Never had the ice cream but others rave about it and I see lots of kids coming in off the beach to buy it. At night they do a really good job with the nightclub. It's a good mix of younger and older people. The wife and daughter have personally stopped at tables to welcome customers, and I like the fact they seem to appreciate our business. Although on any night there are lots of youngsters in their 20's, for "older" customers like me the DJ played that old classic "One less Bell to Answer" by the Fifth Dimension, and I like that they try to cater music to all their customers. I love their "pink sangria" comes with real fruit like bing cherries and strawberries. That way I don't get drunk and I can actually enjoy the music and dance. Service is very good. They like to sell drinks at night, but the waitresses aren't pushy and actually polite about it if I want to nurse my drink for a while. I like the fact they enforce a dress code and a code of conduct, which means they kick you out if you act improperly or even curse. It's no roadhouse or honky tonk, and you won't see the rowdy college kid crowd here. Not as nice as casino clubs in Atlantic City, but still very nice. Food and drinks are a little pricey so it's probably not a perfect 5 stars, but close enough.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brielle, New Jersey
“Roshko's Rocks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I call it Roshko's. some call it Shore Thing. some just call it Thing. it's a nice place to meet people, listen to music, and dance. really nice dance floor! nice mix of people so you can wear nice clothes and not worry about somebody spilling a drink on you. bathrooms are clean and modern which is a huge deal for me. I feel safe there because they have lots of rules about bad conduct and bad language and they are quick to kick out anybody who breaks the rules, which is a good thing because alcohol can make some people act like idiots. negative is that drinks are pricey. food is delicious and their homemade seafood bisque is not just good but fricking amazing!

Visited June 2013
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“We were the only African-Americans at this place!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were the only African-Americans at this place. The crowd was all white mostly in their 20's. drinks were good but pricey. The owner Mackenzie Roshko was walking around to tables introducing herself to customers and chatting it up, but for us she just smiled and walked right on by ignoring us. She was wearing an expensive designer dress that must have cost a lot of money so I guess that's why drinks are high to pay for her clothes. the staff was all white people. the waitress was friendly and she did not refuse to serve us, but I don't think this place especially welcomes African-Americans.

Visited May 2013
North Babylon, New York
“I love their Burgers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I think their burgers are the best. or, as my daughter says, they are the "bestest." we came down from New York state to Long Beach Island for the Memorial Day weekend, and ate here. the burgers are a generous portion size, in fact large. too big though for kids so you will have to split one meal among 2-3 kid because they don't have a kids size meal. service was good even when the place was busy. service was friendly and the waitress smiled a lot, which I liked. the owner Mackenzie Roshko came over to our table and made us feel welcome. I liked that and the fact she appreciated our business.

• Visited May 2013