“The staff and Charlene were very helpful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion

You added Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion to your Saves list
Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Harmon Plaza, Secaucus, NJ 07094 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Secaucus - Meadowlands)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Secaucus
Secaucus, New Jersey
“The staff and Charlene were very helpful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed with friends after a celebration and we were a bit loud and Charlene asked if it was ok for us to move to a different floor so we don't disturb any near rooms, so she easily gave us another room where we weren't bothering anyone instead of just telling us to keep it down. Very happy with this enormous Hotel!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Bernie M, General Manager at Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Stefan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. We're so glad you enjoyed you stay with us and that Charlene helped make your celebration that much more enjoyable. We look forward to you staying with us again the next time you're in the area!

Bernie Mendoza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I know it’s a long read but, it has a few funnies in it. And just to let you know before hand, I did file a formal complaint.

So I don’t complain much and I don’t post on FB that often but this needs to get out to Clarion Hotels.

My family (a total of 12 persons) and I stayed at the Empire Hotel Meadowlands by Clarion in New Jersey this month for 4 nights. It was supposed to be 5 nights but we could no longer live with the following;

I checked the web before booking. There were comments about parking. When I called to make our reservations I was told that there was plenty of parking, so I reserved our room from a Tuesday to Sunday morning. Upon arrival we were greeted by the same guy and checked in uneventfully. Once we got to the room it began…

1) My 4 yr old found a beer bottle and ladies shoe under one bed and the other shoe and beer bottle cap under the other bed. Normally, in my past years of flying I would have said, “someone had a good night” but, not with my daughter, nine yr old son and fiance with me.

2) We ordered room service for 4. I calculated ~$85.00 with the %15 tax (ouch!). The bill was over $102.00 before we gave a $20 tip. Nowhere in that rm was there a hotel book explaining anything about the hotel, the local area, rm service, etc.

3) That night we ended up with 8 people in our rm since my in-laws had already arrived. The temperature rose to over 85° according to the touchscreen thermostat. And after using my limited knowledge of electronics (LMAO) we called the front desk and I was transferred to maintenance. His advice, open the window to the rm. Now, it has a sticker on it “PLEASE DO NOT OPEN WINDOW, ONLY FOR EMERGENCY”. We were on the 12th floor, with a window that is solid about 3 feet up and then has a sliding window that opens to the right, with a 4 yr old in the room! And that was their advice!?

4) The next morning we wanted to make coffee but the pot looked like a fire hazard with the warming plate being fully engulfed with rust and the advertised Starbucks in the lobby was never manned and seemingly unavailable but, they had a sign.

5) Went Wednesday morning to eat our free breakfast for 12 yr old and under and was charged by a desk clerk I like to call “split ends”. Even after confronting her about the hotels own rule, she charged me.

6) The cable/WiFi constantly was out. You try staying in a hotel with 2 kids for 5 days and from 6AM-9AM and 8PM-10PM with no TV.

7) Had to ask for a replacement iron because the one in our rm was missing parts. I think there are only like 3 on an iron and ours was missing 2. Ran out of toilet paper on Thursday morning and was not replenished while we were out. We had to barrow some from the in-laws. We heard a loud “clang” from elevator #1. Told front desk and she said she’d notify maintenance. Never saw them, never saw it closed off. Heard it every time we were in the lobby. The funny thing, she asked which elevator and as we answered, she knew.

8) Parking became an issue on Thursday night, go figure. The garage was still closed and the Hotels answer was to taxi us to and from an alley (at the hotels expense by the way) over 10 minutes away. And that’s when my sister in-law showed up. She asked for the manager (Charlene) and was told she was at home. When she asked to talk with said manager, she was told no…by the manager. Out of toilet paper again, I had to ask the front desk. Ordered delivery tonight and needed utensils. I had to bother “splint ends” while she was on the phone for over 30 minutes as she was trimming her, split ends.

9) Friday, after our reason for being there was over we went to NYC for a few hours. Wanted to stay till Sunday to get a full Saturday in the city but was not worth it. The hotel had drained us by that time.

I called this past Friday to Clarion’s complaint line and did talk with a live person. She said I would hear back within 72 hours. They were to forward the complaint to the hotel and give them time to respond. I heard nothing. I called back 4 days later and was told that the hotel had not responded to the complaint and that they did try calling me (I have no record of that) and were unable to leave a message on my cell’s voice mail but, there was a letter coming in the mail. I was put on hold for a little over 5 minutes, I think. When the person came back I was offered 4000 Clarion Hotel reward points. Now, I know that sounds awesome but the hotel we were at in Jersey would take 12000 points to pay for a day. The average I was told was 8000 points a night. A lot of my military friends will agree that in every hotel/motel you will have an issue or two but for the most part the stay is majorly enjoyable. I have never, in 24 ½ yrs of Air Force aircrew operations and having been from one side of this planet to the other, ever, ever stayed at such an un-managed hotel. And to be offered such a pittance for such inexcusable management and customer service/satisfaction is nothing less than appalling.

Steven T. Moser (USAF MSgt. ret.)

Room Tip: Best to stay away.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Bernie M, General Manager at Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Mr. Moser,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review for our hotel. Without feedback such as yours, we cannot make changes or improvements to make our hotel better. We cannot apologize enough for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us in March. As, unfortunately, you had numerous ones, I will not address each one individually, but please be assured that we are looking into everything you have mentioned and we will be addressing it with the corresponding staff accordingly. We apologize that instead of making your stay and visit to New York City more enjoyable, as hotels should do, we made it worse. We hope that you will give us another chance if you return to the area, and I invite you to contact our Operations Manager, Timothy, directly to assist you with your reservation. Once again, we do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I used one of those expedia hidden hotel name 49% disct in all the years I've used that feature I have NEVER been disapointed.. That was until now, the parking IS very limited as I read on another review, the room is a Motel room in the 11th floor, dust, stuff on carpet and water damage visible in ceiling :-( very disappinted , I did not want my first time in NY area ti be like this. I would not recomend the hotel to anyone.

Stayed March 2015
Dear Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to give your review of our hotel. We sincerely apologize about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, especially with the condition of your room at check-in. There is no reason you, or any guest, should have to experience that. I will be sure to address this with our Housekeeping department to be sure this situation is avoided in the future. We wish your first trip to New York City was better and again we apologize that we were not able to make it so. I hope that the next time you are in come to the area that you give us another shot. Feel free to contact the hotel directly before you book to be sure that the parking structure is fixed before you come if you are so inclined.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed for a night with a friend of mine for a wedding and the service and hotel staff here blew me away. Very helpful, friendly and made us feel "at home." This hotel was the perfect location because it was literally like 5 mins away into New York City. We were given a room that had the view of New York. And I am grateful for that. I was also blown away by the internet speed in our room. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels and this was by far the fastest bandwidth I had ever seen. It was a great sign the hotel knew the value of good internet. I have peeves with hotel bathrooms so that's the first thing I look for when staying at a hotel. Bathroom was clean, smelled good (not like those cigarette-smelling in a non-smoking room) and TOWELS ARE WHITE AND CLEAN!!!!! YESSS!!! A BIG THANK YOU FOR CLEAN TOWELS!! I had an overall awesome stay at this hotel. Had a great, comfortable sleep on our beds. A Big Thanks to comfortable beds too!!!
I would definitely come back and recommend this place to family and friends.

Room Tip: quiet floors, clean towels, comfortable beds, fast wifi
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Bernie M, General Manager at Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Tirsa,

Thank you for the kind words about our hotel. We're excited to see you so excited about our clean towels, as well as our High Speed Internet. Those, along with our closeness to New York City are some of the biggest reasons people continue to return to us time and time again. We look forward to that next stay you have with us!

New Haven, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

What a disaster this was. The hotel cares about your money, not about you. This kind of stuff can be easily discovered when there is a problem. Because everyone has problems, its how you deal with those problems that shows what you are made of.

I stayed on this property for 4 nights. What the property conveniently doesn't tell you is that their parking garage collapsed. There are literally 15 parking spots for the entire hotel onsite. This parking debacle plays out every evening as everyone fights for spaces (yes I watched two people almost come to blows over parking). The staff just sits there and watches, after all they deal with this EVERY DAY. Now like I said, there is a problem.

Now the hotels solution was obvious and that is to obtain more parking. Which they did, but here is how they handle it. they give you a map drawn by the owners 5 year old (ok, maybe not 5 but not a map drawer by any stretch). The Map gives you an address on a certain street and then proceeds to end its directions BEFORE YOU GET TO THAT STREET. When you finally find the factory parking lot, it is poorly plowed and a sheet of ice. there is a woman sitting in a jeep grand Cherokee that ignores you until after you park (parallel to her). When you park she opens the windows and tells you that you can't park like her, that you need to park elsewhere. Once actually parked the fun begins. You now call the cab company who will bring you back to the hotel for free (its 2 miles if you want to walk in the March Tundra). You get to call the cab company 3 TIMES before the company actually shows up. By this time there is 10 people waiting for a ride, slipping and sliding in the parking lot and freezing there extremities off. There is NO REASON why that cab should be paid to run continuously between the hotel and the parking lot at least from 4PM-12AM, and here I am at 9:30PM calling them several times just to get them to come, why would the girl in the jeep not call?

The next morning you need to call the Cab company to get a ride to the parking lot. I called 7 times and kept getting a "the person you reached in unavailable", seriously? Then I try to call the front desk and my room phone doesn't work. I then go down to the front desk and dodge the people complaining about parking (seriously) to tell them I need to get ahold of the cab. they shrug me off by handing me the Map drawn by the 5 year old and the cab companies business card. I tell them that it goes straight to voicemail. Does the person behind the desk try to call? No they tell me to keep trying. Finally the Cab/Van driver shows up, no uniform, so we walk right by him only to bump back into him when we come back in.

This was every morning for 4 days.... No one behind the desk ever cared, they are just burnt out and all I can say is that some of these hotels really need to understand one thing:

YOU ARE IN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY!!!! And Hospitality starts with you empathizing with your guests and at least TRYING TO HELP THEM rather than handing them crappy maps and giving them excuses as to why you can't help them. If you can't help your guests THEN CLOSE YOUR DOORS UNTIL YOU FIX YOUR GARAGE. I understand that things happen and that this is a bad winter but that's not the point, you should have made the parking experience seamless, I should have felt like I was being respected for going OUT OF MY WAY to do the Cab Dance to leave my car miles away. If I could give you a zero I would because that's how I felt at the hotel... like a zero.

On my final notes I need to leave a little positive feedback because I feel like the negativity will eat me alive if I don't. So the Beds were comfortable, the cleaning staff did a very nice job and although the restaurant looks like it hasn't been updated since the early 80's, the Cook Banged out a perfectly cooked steak!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to give your review of our hotel. We sincerely apologize about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, especially with the parking situation. We do understand how problematic having to use offsite parking is. The staff not showing empathy is also unacceptable. This is something I will be sure to address with all of them. We have improved our map to get to the offsite parking since your stay with us because of guests, such as yourself, having issues understanding it. They are diligently trying to repair the garage so the offsite parking option becomes a thing of the past. We are glad you found the food and the rooms enjoyable, and with all that said, we hope you give us another chance in the future once the parking structure has been fixed.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed for a night with friends & it was a wonderful experience. The hotel staff was extremely welcoming & friendly, very hospitable. The hotel itself was very clean. Would definitely stay at this hotel again. Recommend to family & friends.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sheshemay,

Thank you for the kind words about our hotel. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the cleanliness and the hospitality our staff provided to you and your friends. Those aspects are a few of the reasons guests continue to return to us time and time again. The next time you are in the area, we hope you choose to stay with us again!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed last summer, had 2 adjoining rooms for us and our 4 teenagers, as we wanted to visit NYC for the first time, and friends in NJ. The reception staff weren't particularly friendly, but they were efficient. The hotel is older, could probably use some renos (especially the windows! There would be a great view of the Manhattan skyline if only they would scrap that foily film off the windows!) but the beds were newer and comfy. The location is good, it was easy to catch the bus right outside the hotel right into the Port Authority Bus terminal. There is an outdoor pool that looked nice but we were too busy to get to it. On a side note to my fellow canucks, we tried Dunkin Donuts a crack to see why there are so many...save your money! it's no Tim Hortons. :). But OH the pizza in NYC...can't wait to get back down there. Will stay at this hotel again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear CountingTheDaze,

Thank you for the kind words about our hotel. We are glad you able to enjoy your visit to New York City and that we were able to contribute to making it enjoyable. We do apologize about the friendliness of our front desk staff and about the film on our windows. I will be sure to address it with our front desk staff. As you mentioned, we are well aware that our hotel needs some renovations. There are plans for it in the future, so perhaps when you return to stay with us again, you can experience those changes. I understand the loyalty people have to their preferred coffee brand of choice, so if you really miss Tim Hortons and you're in New York City again, there is one near Times Square so you can get your fix in!

Bernie Mendoza

Been to Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion? Share your experiences!