“Okay for a brief stay, nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion

You added Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion to your Saves list
Empire Meadowlands Hotel by Clarion
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Harmon Plaza, Secaucus, NJ 07094 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Secaucus - Meadowlands)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Delmar, New York
“Okay for a brief stay, nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I debated between a rating of 2 and 3, but rounded up. Not sure if that was the right choice.
Negatives: The rooms were dated and the bottom of the bathroom door was peeling. There were hairs in our sink when we arrived. The ice machine on our floor was broken. One of the two elevators was broken the first night, resulting in very long waits and crowded elevators. Our room safe was closed and locked, so we couldn't use it unless we contacted someone to open it (which we didn't bother to do). One of the lamps in our room had a broken switch, so it could only be turned on and off by plugging or unplugging it. The clock was unplugged and the plug was caught under the nightstand, so I had to move the nightstand to get the plug, twist my body into some kind of a pretzel to get it plugged in behind the bed, then figure out how to set the time. There were not enough electrical outlets anywhere accessible in the room. The parking was an uncomfortably cold walk down two flights of stairs and past the front of the hotel, with no interior walkway from the garage. I would not have felt comfortable walking in by myself at night (although the front stairs in the garage were lighted - the back ones were not). The shower head was barely high enough for me and I'm only 5'4". The heavier curtains on the window did not close, so there was ambient light coming into the room all night.
Positives: The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. The hot water from the tap heated up immediately - I loved that! The shower curtain was on a curved bar, keeping the curtain away from the person in the shower. There was a small refrigerator in the room. I appreciated the night light in the bathroom. My husband appreciated the free coffee in the morning. Cost was reasonable for the area.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My group stayed here two nights for a dance competition held in the hotel ballroom.

We should have known we were in for an unpleasant experience when we found a lone green Skittle in plain sight on the bathroom floor upon check-in.

Despite our reporting the rogue candy to the front desk attendant, who assured us it would be cleaned the next day, the Skittle was never picked up. Makes me wonder what else was left on the floor.

Because my group flew into New Jersey and had no cars, we depended on the hotel for many of our meals. Mistake.

An on-site "Pizza Hut" was nothing more than heated up pre-made pizza. The people at PH should know they're using the name to sell an overpriced microwave-style pizza. The hotel Starbucks wasn't open on a busy Friday morning. A friend and I were also charged $8 for a glass of unchilled Sutter Home wine -- I could get two bottles for that much! And the "bouncer" guarding the $10 breakfast buffet certainly made us feel welcome as he watched us slurp down our scrambled eggs.

Despite the less-than-friendly food staff, the maids and front desk attendants were courteous.

The hotel has two elevators, one of which was out of service nearly an entire day of our visit. Wait times to catch a lift to the 12th floor were 15 and 20 minutes. And the TV, for whatever reason, was stuck on the home screen for the duration.

Some pros of the Empire Meadowlands included spacious rooms, a bar that was open late, and a location close to Newark airport.

But overall, this place was run down, mismanaged and, frankly, overpriced. I'd expect some of these things at a $40 a night place, but here you don't get what you pay for.

So what was the best part of our stay? When we found a liquor store within walking distance. Seriously.

If you can avoid this place, do it.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Carver, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I wasn't sure about booking a place outside of NY but I didn't want to stay in the city. This turned out to be a good idea after all. We wanted to be close enough to the city so it would be a quick trip in. This worked out great

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We paid a low price for a room here and I guess you get what you pay for! Our room 1324, head in overpowering moldy odor. The drawer to the dresser was broken in the pieces were laying on the floor. In the morning the employees were out in the hall using a loud of noxious walkie-talkie. To bad because the room actually looked nice and there were some elegant details. The view of the city was very great. It was also clean.

• Stayed January 2015
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I don't understand how this place is rated three stars? Stayed one night and will never return. Phone rang at 5:40 AM! Someone tried to open the door at 8 AM for service without even knocking. Rate was good but calling this place a three star is embarrassing. Rooms in desperate need of renovations, especially bathrooms.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

At first I was a bit hesitant due to reviews I was seeing but decided to give it a try anyways. Honestly it really was a nice place to stay and the cost was even better. The staff was friendly, helpful and courteous! The room was nice, spacious and clean. The view was phenomenal. Just a few cosmetic issues with paint etc, but they did have sign telling us they were currently redoing the hotel. I would definitely stay again!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Johnson City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

We have stayed many times at this hotel when it was the Crowne Plaza. We will never stay here again. We asked about the shuttle to the train station and were told they don't do that anymore. The desk clerk then pointed to the taxi service they apparently recommend. The breakfast service was terrible and to quote the guys sitting near us at the "breakfast buffet" the service and buffet were "horrible" and as he said "they should be ashamed to have charged us $12 each". The hotel is very dated, not real clean and the staff not overly friendly at all. While my husband waited to purchase tickets at the front desk for the breakfast buffet, the hostess at the buffet would not even let me enter to check it out! Aside from that, a card in our room said they had an omelet station but when I inquired about it, the "cook" told me that it had not been running for months. Needless to say my $12 corn flakes with a banana on top was ok at best, certainly not what we expected. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.