“One night stay to visit NYC” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed N' Breakfast Deal
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Secaucus
Laval, Canada
“One night stay to visit NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We booked the room for one night with the intention of spending the day in NYC. We arrived at the hotel early (11h00) and they gave us our room, no fuss. The bus stop is a very short walk from the hotel and it is a 15 minute ride to the bus terminal on 42nd and 8th street. The hotel gives you a paper with the required info on how to go to and return from NYC by bus.
I saw many comments on how hard it is to find the hotel so I checked it out on Google street view. Luckly because yes you can easily miss the entrance. At the light before turing right on Paterson Plank Rd. the last sign on the pole at your right indicates the hotel towards the right, then hold your right. One you pass the home depot Parking lot, in the right hand curb, hold your right. there is another little sign on the bottom of the pole.
We figured the higher price compensated for the 30$ a day parking in Manhattan and the 12$ toll for the tunnel.
At 11$ for breakfast, no thank you. We picked up some bars while in NYC and had them for breakfast with coffee from the machine in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HGISecaucus, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Mike B:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel after your stay with us. We do appreciate your business and are pleased to see that you found the location on Google Maps and found that the bus was convenient.

All of us do hope to see you again when you travel to the New York City area.

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very nice, very clean and extremely conveniently located. The staff at the reception is very friendly and knowledgable and always eager to help. The hotel is not very big, so you almost feel like being at an inn or B&B (particularly if you have breakfast there too). It's very close to the bus stop (aprox. 4-500 m) and the bus takes right into the core of Manhattan, at the Port Authority Terminal, which is 5 min. Walking distance from Times Square. The bus drivers on these routes are very nice and friendly as well, and they know tht people walking around there are only going to the bus stop (there's nothing else besides the hotel and a Home Depot), so we had one driver wait for us while we were waiting at the crossing for the green light. I found that very nice. Back to the hotel. The beds are amazing, I slept like a baby! And you can adjust the firmness of the mattress based on your preferences. There's free covered parking, which is a big plus for the New York area, and free Internet. We chose to have breakfast at the hotel every morning, and there was a buffet with fresh fruit, fruit juices, toast bread, bagels, muffins, donuts, croissants. Then you could also order eggs in any shape and form you wanted, with a variety of vegetables, or sausage, bacon, ham. They also make French toast, very good pancakes and you can make waffles if you want to. So there's plenty of variety. The kitchen staff makes you feel like home, they are extremely friendly and do their utmost best to make you feel comfortable. A few mornings I ordered just stir-fried vegetables, without the egg, and they accommodated that, although it was not on the menu. The coffee is also very good, which was important for us, as we are very particular about the coffee we drink. And coffee and tea are available in the hotel lobby 24/7. All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel if you're going to New York, as it's affordable compared to hotels in Manhattan, and it's very good quality and particularly good service.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HGISecaucus, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Speedy13:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hilton Garden Inn in Secaucus. All of us do appreciate you staying with us when away from home. I will be sure to share your kind comments with our staff so they can see how their hard work helps make our guests feel at home.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you when you are on your next trip to our area.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I took my daughter to NYC this weekend, and as this was our first trip, we wanted to stay out of the city. I did some research and decided on HGI. Overall, the hotel was what I expected.

The good: The room was clean, bed was comfortable, breakfast was good, location was "as described," the price was right, the staff was nice, bus stop was fairly close,

The bad: The hot tub was "out of service" (having a hot tub was a deciding factor for us to stay, knowing how much walking we were going to do and when I mentioned this to the hotel staff, she didn't care at all), the room was either HOT or COLD, no matter how I set the thermostat and when it was on, it was loud. If you want to go anywhere in your car, it is not easy to navigate to the local shopping/eating area. We wanted dessert one evening & it was more of an adventure than getting to & from the city.

The "Other" - I am not sure what to say about the price of the breakfast... we may have paid, for nothing. It is unclear if the $11 extra was necessary to pay. I believe it may have only been for the "hot" part of the buffet and that the "cold" part was free. IF that is the case, we overpaid. If not, then many people went to the "cold" part and the hotel lost money... A good question to ask before you book. I also think that the hotel could easily pair up with a company to provide transportation to & from NYC, even if it's the same price as the bus.

We would use this hotel again - it is worth the price break to take the bus 10 mins into the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear jes1969:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hilton Garden Inn after your recent stay with us. We do appreciate you staying with us and your kind comments.

The whirlpool in the swimming pool area was waiting on a part for the heater which went down on Thursday and the repair company was not able to fix this prior to the weekend. I do apologize for this inconvenience. The breakfast buffet is $11.95 per person and includes all of the cold items plus the pastries and hot food. All hot food is made to order for your choice of eggs and omelets. We do have a Bed and Breakfast Deal available which includes the room and breakfast in the rate based upon the number of people in the room. The rate will reflect a discount as opposed to having to pay for the room and breakfast separately.

The highway system in New Jersey was devised with the idea to improve traffic flow and all of us can certainly understand the confusion with navigating some of the area when not used to this highway system.

We certainly do appreciate you staying with us and will look forward to seeing you on your next trip to our area.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at the HGI on my vacation. It was a last minute trip to visit the big city (NYC). The hotel is a little hard to find, but just call them when you are in the Home Depot parking lot and they will direct you in. Once at the hotel the front desk staff was amazing, we were able to check in early, (1130am). Once we checked in we asked, how do we get to the city,,well the hotel clerk,(male mid-40's,) took care of us, he gave us a cheat sheet on how to get to NYC and spend the day. He even gave us tips on how to get to Citi Field (NY Mets Stadium). I will be back at this hotel, the room was clean the bed was once again amazing! Free parking at the hotel and being a 20 minute bus ride into NY Port Authority makes this a MUST STAY HOTEL. The walk to the bus stop takes all of 5 minutes and do not worry, your not in a bad part of town, their are plenty of other hotel guest making the same walk. You will have to walk in grass, so be prepared if you are wearing anything other than sneakers. The only reason for not 5 stars is no free breakfast...but even at the price they charge ($11.00 pp) its a GREAT PRICE....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
HGISecaucus, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear blues911:

On behalf of all of us here at the Hilton Garden Inn in Secaucus I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and for your kind comments. I am pleased that you liked the cleanliness of our hotel and found that the New Jersey Transit buses were easy to use. On your next trip you may want to look at our Bed and Breakfast Deal available on our website or by calling the hotel direct. The rate for this package will include breakfast for up to four people.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again on your next trip to our area.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I've stayed in this well-managed hotel numerous times over several years. I travel to New York on the train regularly and like quality without in-city prices. This hotel fits the bill. Rooms are well-maintained and spacious; the breakfast (about $11 extra) is excellent---omelettes made to order and diverse, well-stocked buffet. Price is comparable to good restaurants and much less than what you'd pay in New York. Fresh afternoon/evening cookies. Front desk staff outstanding. There is regular and convenient bus service to the Port Authority in New York which I have used many times. Even coming home very late, there is often another hotel guest on the bus. I've met many return guests (like me)---some who come by car; others who get there by bus. There are almost always guests visiting in the lobby.

Room Tip: Elevators and vending are together...I like to stay away from them, as guests sometimes congregate a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HGISecaucus, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Tigesgirl:

On behalf of our staff I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hilton Garden Inn and to also thank you for your kind comments. I will be sure to share your comments with everyone so they can see how their hard work helps make our guests feel at home which is our ultimate goal.

Again, thank you for your comments and for staying with us and we hope to continue to see you on your future trips to our area.
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

There are a few reasons why I give this hotel 4 out of 5. The first thing I do want to mention is getting to the hotel as others have posted is a bit tricky but I didn't reflect that on the stay at this hotel.

Overall: The hotel is very clean and was great for the overnight stay to go to a Red Bulls soccer game and then to wake up to go visit the TLC show "Cake Boss" Carlo's bakery. For the location of this hotel were 10 minutes away to both location which was perfect. Free cookies for the family in the lobby was a nice touch.

Now the review of the hotel:

Pros:
It was nice, and the hotel lobby, halls and rooms where very clean. The beds have a system to make the mattresses soft. My wife and I slept great on the beds and didn't wake with our backs hurting! The kids slept great and the rooms weren't tight. The room was in the back of the hotel and it was quiet.

Cons (where they lost 1 star):
1) When we arrived the check in clerk,@ 2:40pm think she was the manager on duty just asked "checking inn?" No welcome, no hello..no nothing. Kind of seemed stand offish. It wasn't busy and the parking lot seemed empty.
2) The Pool water was filthy. To the point in which I took the strainer and cleaned the pool for 15 minutes. Unless a group of bears or dogs were in the pool I don't understand why someone doesn't clean the pool on a regular basis..there wasn't anyone in the pool. I just think with this type of Hotel that this could be an item that they stay on top on.
3) My reservation, that we book through Hilton, there is a section where it asks if you have any requests...we asked please not near the elevators. So after we got checked in by "Ms. Friendly" check in clerk, sure enough we were put in a room right next to the elevators. To her credit, before we even entered the room I went downstairs and she gave us a new room.

Overall I would stay at this hotel again, but attention to detail is the only thing not make them 5 out of 5.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Macunitny2000:

On behalf of all of us here at the Hilton Garden Inn - Secaucus I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. We do appreciate all of your comments both the great and those outlining where we could improve. We will most certainly look at the issues you outlined and do what is needed to improve the experience for all of our guests.

We do appreciate you staying with us and look forward to seeing you again on a future trip to our area.
South Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Clean, comfy rooms, FANTASTIC customer service, location leaves much to be desired, though. Getting to the place overwhelmed our GPS, but desk staff guided us in. Getting to/from the bus stop involved 1/4 mile walk over grass, poorly lit walkway and 2 traffic lights, but it beat driving, which took 2 nervewracking hours on a Friday evening.

Room Tip: Ground floor is always a good bet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HGISecaucus, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear WBGVirginian:

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel after your recent stay with us. We do appreciate your business and your kind comments about our staff. We do understand that bus stop can seem like quite a distance when walking the two tenths of a mile over because of the walking on the grass. That is because the state has the easement and have not allowed a sidewalk which we continue to work on with them.

We hope to see you again in the future when you find yourself in our area and thank you for staying with us.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands? Share your experiences!