“Nice location- a well-maintained Courtyard” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Secaucus
Mid-Atlantic
“Nice location- a well-maintained Courtyard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I must have stayed in about 2 dozen different Courtyards over time, and this was a nicely maintained location. The staff was friendly and helpful upon check-in, and my room preferences per my reservation were honored. It was a Saturday evening in summer, and my daughter & I were running the New York Road Runners "Race of Champions" at nearby Giants Stadium, aka MetLife Stadium, the next morning.
The hotel looked to be fairly full; per the other reviews, I believe a good number of folks choose this hotel to tour NYC. It makes sense, since this hotel offers complimentary covered parking, and the bus nearby takes you right into NYC.
The hotel is located right in the Meadowlands shopping area, which provides very walkable options in shops and restaurants- my son even ventured out a couple of blocks to visit the Walmart and pick up some snacks.
There is a Residence Inn opening soon in this same locale, so I expect this Courtyard will be scheduled for some room renovations.

Room Tip: The upper floors will be quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel in 2013 for the same conference, I returned in March 2014 for the convenient location. Overall this trip seemed smoother than the last. The staff were definitely more helpful, I had several packages delivered and although they do not have a lot of space for storage they were still able to accommodate my package. And the huge bonus is they do not charge for you to have packages delivered. Most other hotels have a handling fee and this hotel does not which is a huge bonus for me when travelling to a conference. The few drawbacks I found, the elevators are very slow, the fitness center is small and lacks variety. I found at 6am the water and sanitizing wipes had run out which was very inconvenient. There are quite a few restaurant options nearby which breaks up the monotony of dining while travelling. Overall, I will be back again next year!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Frank S, General Manager at Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you so much for posting about your stay with us. I was very pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay with us and wanted to also give you an update on some of the items you mentioned. Our elevators are being remodeled. Currently one is complete and a second is being worked on as we speak. Guests still have access to two elevators. They are faster and the feedback we have been getting has been positive. We have a completion date of November 2014. For 2015 we are looking to get all new fitness machines: recumbent bike, two tread machines, an eliptical, and a new free weight bench. We will continue to improve the hotel to make your stay better. I hope we have the opportunity to to serve you again.
Elmira, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My family was visiting from South Carolina and they had never been to NYC. We booked the Courtyard in Secaucus, NJ because it was less expensive than staying in NYC and parking was free. The NJ Transit bus stop is right outside the hotel and it is a 20 min. ride to the Port Authority Terminal on 42nd St. and 8th Ave. The cost is only $7.95 per person round trip. We boarded the 4:40pm bus into NYC and it took us almost 2 hours to arrive. Our return trip at 10:00pm took only 20 min. The next day we boarded the bus at 7:40am and we were in the city shortly after 8:00am. Return trip at 6:00pm took 20 min., but traffic going into the city was backed up for miles. My advise is don't take the bus into NYC between the hours of 4:00 - 6:00pm. The hotel was excellent. Room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly and very helpful with information about NYC. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Frank S, General Manager at Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for comments about your stay. I hope your family had a great time in NYC. Your advise is exactly what we tell other guests as well - avoid going into NYC between 4pm and 6pm during those hours a 20 minute ride can be hours long. I hope we have the privilage of serving you again.
Millersville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is a typical Courtyard Marriott. Rooms were clean and standard. Our experience with reception area was fine. They have a "marketplace" at the reception area where you can buy sodas, water and some limited snack items (even yogurt and fresh strawberries in addition to chips and such). They also have the usual "bistro" for breakfast. Coffee makers in room. Only supplied three towels to start with so had to request additional towels. Typical toiletries supplied. A mall with restaurants (including a Starbucks) is right down the street. Right off I-95 so easy to get to from Maryland (our point of origin). We did get to check in early which was a plus as we were heading to NYC for a matinee that afternoon. The best thing about this hotel is that you have free parking and a bus stop literally across the street that takes you into Midtown NYC (into Port Authority Terminal). The bus is incrediably easy to use (the ticket machines are right at the stop). The covered area at bus stop is minimal--could be a problem in bad weather as the stop does get a lot of people-but in our case weather was great so no issue. The bus will take you about 15 minutes to get to the City. All the buses we took were right on time and run frequently (about every 15 minutes or so until 2 am when we were there). The bus getting back is crowded but seemed like everyone got on although some had to stand. Wonderful to have a no hassle ride up from Maryland, free parking, no hassle bus to and from City. The Port Authority Terminal is only a few blocks from broadway and from Time's Square. When we go back to NYC, this is definitely how we will do it. The hotel itself is nothing to write home about but it's location and access to NYC make it worthwhile. And again, nothing wrong with hotel-clean, quiet, safe.

Room Tip: We stayed on an upper floor and found it quiet enough.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to comment about your stay with us. Great to hear you utilized NJ Transit to get into NY. It is really convenient to have the bus right across the street dropping you off at Port Authority in Times Square. Hope we continue to be your choice when staying in Secaucus and look forward to serving you again.
Charleston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We have stayed at the Courtyard many times, and truly love it. We stayed there over the 4th of July and was very disappointed to find that you can no longer get coffee of the morning. Starbucks is in the lobby, but we do not care for Starbucks coffee its a little strong. I feel that we spend alot of money to stay at hotels, complimentary coffee is not to much to ask for.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have stayed at many Marriott properties over the years and travel a lot for business (platinum elite member). I have never had a problem with any of the properties I have stayed at until last weekend when I had the unfortunate displeasure of staying at the Courtyard in Secaucus, NJ.

This place is like a real life Fawlty Towers, just minus all the comedy. Both myself and my girlfriend where greeted to a full on interrogation at check-in as I had used the government rate to book our room as I had a conference the next day. My government ID was not in a form they where used to seeing. I explained that is the only ID I have ever been given by my employer. That I had already stayed 52 nights this year with Marriott, all on the government rate, all checking in using this ID.

When I asked for the manager the employee behind the counter stormed out, slamming doors etc. I presumed from these actions that I was unwelcome in this hotel and that they do not like government employees and contractors staying here. The "manager" was of no use, offering to check us in at the full price rate until it could be discussed with another manager.

After check-in I called the number on the back of the platinum elite card to get the problem resolved. Marriott was quick to resolve the problem over the telephone, calling the hotel directly. I was informed that I would only be charged the government rate.

While in the room I noticed that it seemed very dirty, the air conditioning was incredibly loud, while looking for the hairdryer (missing) my girlfriend noticed condom wrappers in the bag the hairdryer was supposed to be in (picture attached). It became apparent very quickly that this property had some cleanliness problems. If I would have had more time that evening I would not have stayed at this location but unfortunately I was very pushed for time and had a dinner reservation for early that evening.

Our problems with this property continued into the morning when I was greeted to the same "warm" reception at check-out. I was charged the full price for the room and when I complained about it the manager told me that I was a liar and that they had not received a call from Marriott customer service regarding the government rate and that I would be charged full price.

This experience has severely damaged my opinion of Marriott properties and I will now consider all hotel options for my business and personal trips in the future.

If you are considering staying at this property I would urge you to reconsider.

Room Tip: Find a room at a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Bryan M, Manager at Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and we appreciate your feedback. I apologize for any misunderstanding with your identification; unfortunately we have strict guidelines to follow with this particular rate and your dated form was not sufficient. I can assure you that the cleanliness of your room was an isolated incident and our team takes great pride in the overall satisfaction of our guests. As a valued Marriott Platinum Elite Member, I do hope this experience does not keep you from choosing Marriott in the future.
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed over on a saturday night on a visit to NYC. Hotel is easy to find and had closed parking. Even though fairly full i was able to find parking as there are some open slots. There is a big shopping complex nearby with restaurants, theatres and super markets. There is a bus to NYC that passes through the hotel even though i did not use this time. I used it last time and it was an efficient way to get into the city. The hotel itself is newly renovated courtyard style. It had a starbucks inside and good lobby. On the rooms very clean with all standard amenities. Highly recommended to use this for NYC sight seeing as parking is free.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands? Share your experiences!