“Facilities were a big plus!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Secaucus
Singapore
“Facilities were a big plus!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We chose this place as a base to explore NYC because we couldn't stomach the thought of paying crazy NYC hotel prices for small, unsatisfactory rooms. We spent the money we saved on renting a small car and drove into the city everyday.. while it's only a 15 minute drive, do note that the toll is $12 to get into the city everytime!! Once in, though, it's pretty close to the Broadway area, which was pretty great!! Our favourite part of our stay was the facilities.. they have a fully equipped pantry -yeah, pans, induction stove, fridge, right in the room! Neighbourhood was quiet and seemed pretty safe.. and there was free access to the gym and complimentary laundry room! We would've paid alot more in the city and gotten much less, so overall, we were pretty satisfied!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wilmslow UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Room and beds were comfortable, hotel uninspiring. However the attitude of staff, including telephone receptionist Tatyana, was outstanding. Shuttle to railway to NYC is a blessing, but be aware that it only runs at certain times, and not in rain! You need a car to eat in the neighbourhood, hotel facility will only keep you from starving (toast, chocolates, cereals, sodas, etc.)
The way kitchen is incorporated in the 'suite' is not very pleasing.

Room Tip: away from main road.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Secaucus, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear mosolygo,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. It's nice to see that you liked the beds. I also appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. We are sorry the kitchen area in the room fell below your expectations. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights during my visit to New York. It was really good for the hotel to provide shuttle service to the trains to NY. Room and beds were pretty comfortable. But however the attitude of management seems to be pretty cold perhaps its a jersey thing. But other then that my stay overall was all right. I would reccommend this place for its service as well as proximity if you want to visit NY.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was our first stay in any Candlewood hotel and I was really skeptic with what would be the hotel like since I was travelling with my wife and son (3-years old). To start with, my GPS took me one-half block away from the address of the hotel, and I was really confused (and tired after a long drive) but drove on ahead to find the hotel entrance by the next traffic light (from where the GPS initially landed me). The area around the hotel is typically industrial, and doesn’t have any decent groceries or eateries around. The looks of the hotel from outside is kind of OK. There are lots of parking spaces around. The reception was courteous and the check in was fast. Since, I booked the hotel using my debit card; there was a temporary charge of $50 for each day of my stay in the hotel against my card, which was waived after my check-out – so no issues with that. Once we checked in, I was relived to view the room on the second floor that we stayed in - it was really good and the floor plan was decent. It had a full kitchen with some kitchen accessories and full sized refrigerator. The bed linens, towels, etc. provided were clean. I absolutely loved the internet speed of this hotel. I also liked the work area provided. The TV was connected with a DVD player, and there are DVDs which you can avail of from the reception. We had decent sleep during night, except for some bizarre noise on the first night, which I informed of at the reception while checking-out. The check-out process was also smooth and hassle free. The hotel is located within a few minutes’ drive from the Liberty State Park, from where you can board the vessel to the Ellis Island and the Liberty Island without having to wait in huge queues like when you take the vessel from the Battery Park, NY. Also, you can enjoy spectacular view of the Manhattan skyline from the Liberty Park which is a delight to watch particularly during night. (Lots of parking spaces available at this area) The train station is within minutes from the hotel and you can easily reach the Penn Station in NYC (1 station, 10 minutes) to enjoy tourist attractions in the Big Apple. There is parking facility available in the Secaucus Jn. Station with hourly rates during the weekdays and $7.00 flat rate during weekends. I will be back at this hotel in case we plan to travel to NYC/NJ once again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Attleboro, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

First of all, the hotel itself is quite nice. Rooms are well equipped, grounds are kept up well. Unfortunately there was a problem that I admit I was the cause of. How the management handled this is where the deception comes in.

It started when I used a Debit Card for the room charges. They do have a sign posted that they advise not to use Debit Cards due to the hold placed on funds. I was aware that would happen and used the card.

The day of checkout, the Desk Clerk informed me that they could not charge the last day of a 3 day stay to the Debit Card, due to the hold. Not having any funds available, I called my Mom who gave them her Visa Card number. They told her and myself they were charging 1 night to that card. Before leaving, I questioned the clerk again and they insisted only 1 night was charged. About 3 days later, I noticed that no money was taken from my account for the first 2 nights. After checking with the bank, I was informed that all 3 nights were charged to my Moms card. This was NOT what either of us were told was going to happen. My Mom gave them verbal authorization for ONLY 1 NIGHT-NOT the entire stay. My Mom was a bit disturbed this happened, but I reimbursed her for the charge and the issue was settled.

If we were told all 3 nights would be charged to her card, there would be no issue. The fact that they did this behind our backs is totally unacceptable. I warn my fellow travelers to check your bill carefully and DO NOT believe what Management might tell you. I also wrote a complaint to IHG, since I am a priority club member. They acknowledged the complaint and forwarded it to the hotel. I have received no response from the hotel itself. I apologize for being the cause of this issue, but it does not excuse how this issue was handled. Use a Credit Card-and only 1 card, or be prepared to be deceived.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Secaucus, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear foot5841,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. I will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,
Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Franklin Tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

Employees lovely could use sound proofing really noisy neighbors

• Stayed May 2012
Newton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Always a pleasure to stay at this Hotel.. Very quite atmospher.. And very pleasant staff. The rooms are up to date and clean!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Candlewood Suites Secaucus? Share your experiences!