“we will be back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Seaside Park
fort lee
“we will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

at the last minute we decided to visit the shore. Our first stop was to get a room and we got lucky. The staff was very nice and knowledgable. the rooms were clean and well kept. Since it was the holiday weekend we were expecting rushed through room cleaning, less than expected service. we were pleasently surprised to see that nothing was passed over we couldnt of asked for a more pleasant visit. One of the best parts of the stay was the pool it is open late very clean and very well lit. Wonderful place to relax when you dont want to deal with the crowds on the boards.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
long island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

we stayed here instead of at the four winds and the ladies that ran the front desk were very nice and very helpful. they were happy, idk why people say they were miserable. the rooms weren't the best but at $75 a night to be right at the boardwalk isn't bad. i mean, we went in the off season, but the holiday inn 20 minutes away was $115 a night. i'd totally stay here again, i already told my friends about it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
bdub050585
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

I used to enjoy staying at the Charlroy Motel. It was a clean nice environment to be at while on vacation at my favorite beach location. This year I was only able to go down once due to my schedule and what a change. To start out, the woman who was sitting at the front desk was the most miserable person I have encountered at a motel at the shore ever. The LAST thing that someone who is paying to stay at your establishment wants is to be greeted by someone who obviously doesn’t want to be there. Maybe they should have her cleaning rooms so she doesn’t have to directly interact with the guests. After we dealt with her, we headed to our room. The room was so dirty, with broken furniture, tape holding the one window shut and burnt out light bulbs in the bathroom. I can’t believe what has happened to my favorite place to stay!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The Staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
disneymom57, Sue, Front Desk Reservations at Charlroy Motel, responded to this review, June 22, 2008
To write and post a review solely based on one experience deemed negative when all the other times at our establishment were positive is challenging for us to understand. While the guest was not treated as he/she would have liked to have been upon check-in, and we apologize for that, people are human, and perhaps this desk clerk was having a rough day then. With regards to the room, there is a saying that states "A little bit of sand in the pool does not make the whole pool dirty." I am sure if any of these concerns were brought to our attention, they were addressed immediately. We have 45 rooms, and to present a picture that our motel has changed so dramatically due to one room (again deemed negative) was disappointing to us. It is our hope that one can be open-minded, come back again, and form an opinion based on the true situation.
Eastern PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

Substandard accommodations at a very good location for too much money. While I can't say our overall experience was truly "Terrible" I can't muster enough satisfaction from the experience to say it was "Okay, but some problems" either.

Our group consisted of two "early-forties" couples (my wife and I and my cousin with her husband) for a Thursday night to Sunday stay and we rented the suite so we could spend quality time when not at the beach. The suite consisted of three very small (formerly identical single) rooms in a row which had doors lined with shag carpeting (sound-proofing?) between them unlocked.

LIVING OR SITTING ROOM
The middle room had been converted to a small sitting room (maybe 10 or 12 feet square) with a small table and two chairs (two couples could not sit down for a meal or to play cards) an average couch, an older TV with color distortions and two non-working remotes and a small end table by the couch.

KITCHENETTE
The former (tiny) bathroom from the middle room had been converted to a kitchenette with room for one person at a time and it included a tiny microwave and toaster oven, a three-foot-tall refrigerator under the counter, an electric coffee pot (older metal style) and single electric burner (the kind you place on a counter top.) There was a small assortment of dishes, cups etc., and a dented pot and pan. We could not wash the stains out of the coffee cups, so we bought styro-foam cups for our stay. Unfortunately, there would not have been room for use of all the electric appliances at the same time on the limited counter space. Total kitchenette dimensions may have been 5 or 6 feet square.

BEDROOMS
The bedrooms were rather non-descript with each having an older TV, and a tiny outdated bathroom (very small, old-style formica laminate countertops), inadequate and noisy fans (mirrors always fogged over), small but acceptable bathtubs, and, sorry--the world's coarsest bath towels (I called them the "loufa" towels.) One bedroom had a queen size bed and two nightstands while the other had a bunk bed (not couple-friendly) and a small table with two chairs but no night stands. Any kind of closet would have been welcome in either bedroom.

LIGHTING
Notable only in that it was pretty dim. I found three burned out light bulbs between the rooms which the front desk replaced with their, maximum 60-watters. We bought 100-watters and added them for our stay which made the lighting more than adequate.

CLEANLINESS
Very acceptable--everything was neat and clean upon our arrival. The only "cleanliness" problem we had was actually in the back parking lot (outside the suite) which reeked of pet urine. One note-Charlroy did allow two dogs for our stay which most other places wouldn't. Despite their allowing pets, we noticed no problems from previous guests' pets inside the rooms.

STYLE
The old plaster walls simply need a makeover. They are nicely painted with simple ocean scenes, but the uneven plaster and old trim work ruins the effect and makes it feel more like a cheap apartment. The occasional blemish (phone wires sticking out of the wall and missing a covering plate) only worsened the impression. The bathrooms simply need a complete makeover for this price range.

SERVICE
We did have confusion near checkout, where our bill rang up to twice what it was supposed to (over $1000 for 3 nights in the off-season) and our room keys were disabled even after paying $50 more for an extended 6pm checkout Sunday (vs 11am) but that was finally cleared up. Otherwise service was friendly and adequate.

PARKING
Parking was very tight, but adequate (leave your large pickup at home).

LOCATION
The proximity of Charlroy to the beach and the boardwalk was excellent and this is *the* selling point for the Charlroy. You don't need to pay for beach parking as you can walk to the beach and Charlroy advertises included beach passes. We did not need the passes as our stay was in the off-season (September 6-9) when you're no longer charged for beach access. Be careful of the rooms with an advertised "ocean view"--they face the ocean but you can't actually see the ocean because of the parking and topography across the street. Look for their advertised "direct ocean view" rooms presumably on the second floor from which you probably *can* see the ocean.

CONCLUSION
I really don't mean to sound TOO harsh on the Charlroy--I guess I am trying to balance some of the glowing reviews I'd read before our stay. I'd be speculating if I questioned the sincerity of those reviews--I am just trying to help other travelers make a more educated choice than we were able to make. Our experience wasn't horrible, it's just that we felt it was very overpriced ($179/night for Fri/Sat) for what we got--especially since it was off-season. To their defense, they had no vacancies for Friday night--I just don't know how many guests might have been "returning" guests from previous trips. My cousin and her husband *had* stayed at the Charlroy previously and, while they said their room wasn't in great condition, they said it had been considerably larger than the suite bedrooms. Also, they were limited in their options as they had their two dogs, and my cousin's MS makes proximity to the beach essential. Personally, my wife and I would not stay at the Charlroy again. For these rates I would rather find someplace nice, even if it was a block or two from the beach.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — quality/cost ratio
  • Stayed September 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
disneymom57, Front Desk Reservations at Charlroy Motel, responded to this review, June 21, 2008
As a front desk reservations worker for six years at the Charlroy Motel, I can vouch for the fact that the family suite is one of our most popular requested rooms, especially during the summer. I have even had guests who stayed in our suite before express that they wish we had more than one because it is requested so much. Over these six years, I have heard many comments about how accomodating our suite is. The bunk beds can sleep three because the bottom bunk can fit two people quite comfortably (therefore, it is couple-friendly). As far as the tables go, guests can very easily place two tables together in the middle room and play cards or eat meals together. We are very upfront with our guests who are interested in the family suite that the kitchen is not designed for gourmet cooking. It is designed to enjoy coffee or tea, heat restaurant meals in the microwave, and store snacks and beverages, which the majority of our guests utilize it for. The family suite is designed for vacation and relaxation, free from daily chores and responsibilities.
As far as the parking lot goes, the family suite allows for two parking spaces instead of one because there are two bedrooms. The suite is located in the back part of the motel, where there is a huge parking lot. I do not know of any motel that allows more than one parking space per room. We have had vans, pick-up trucks, and even an RV in our parking lot!
I hope that if you are reading this response to this review, that you will rethink the way this traveler represented our family suite. In response to the lightbulbs and TV remotes--these are common general motel issues (anywhere) that can be taken care of immediately when informed of them. Based on other hotels and motels in the area, our prices are very reasonable. We are in a terrific location, we thrive on great customer service, and we always want to respond to guests' concerns and needs.
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

The Charlroy Motel staff is incredibly unprofessional, and tries to act like they're a "family hotel." In Seaside, this is far from the truth. The rooms are gross and smell very musky. I don't think that I would stay here again....especially when there are so many better locations at the Jersey shore.
When you go to a hotel, you'd think the staff would be helpful. Charlroy has no continental breakfast, small rooms that smell, a very touristy NY crowd of white trash families, and nothing spectacular to offer.
Save your $ and go to like Spring Lake or something, or Ocean City....or pretty much ANYWHERE other than Seaside. The woman behind the counter upon check in would probably blend in better as a WalMart greeter.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
The title of this review and the review itself contain very bold statements, but where are the details supporting the opinions? The only comment was that the rooms smelled musty, which, when you are located right at the beach, the sea air does waft in the establishments, and can be misinterpreted as musty. Also, the comment about the lady behind the desk blending in better as a Wal-Mart greeter indicated involvng a huge amount of customer interaction. We will take that as she was indeed doing her job and providing terrific customer service. Plus, there were no specific details about what the desk clerk said or did that was unprofessional.
Our establishment provides a continental breakfast on weekends in the spring and fall, which is posted on our website and in our phone messages. During the summer, we offer two beach badges during guests' stays, so they do not have to pay to go on the beach. We have an outdoor pool for guests to enjoy, not to mention that we are located right across the street from the beach and are two blocks away from the amusement piers. We also allow guests the opportunity to come before check-in, even if the room is not ready, so they can get parking, enjoy the beach and the pool. Our guests deeply appreciate these spectacular offers.
We pride ourselves on the fact that there is such a diversity with our guest patronage. A lot of them become friends with the staff and other guests, and offer a lot of interesting perspectives. Now, that is spectacular!
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

Establishment did not honor extended 6pm check out that was offered and confirmed upon booking. Rude, obnoxious and unprofessional ownership and staff. There are plenty of other Motels within a two block radius (the same proximity to the beach) that offer superior accommodations at a lower cost.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
disneymom57, asst manager at Charlroy Motel, responded to this review, May 9, 2008
When informed that check out time was at 11am this guest became verbally abusive with the desk clerk and then the owner in from of other guests. His reservations were made during our speing season . During this time we offer late checkouts and continental breakfast which we state on our phone message. His reservation CLEARLY stated that check out was at 11am, as did the sign in sheet that he signed when he checked in....and it is in BOLD print. There are no hotels who offer 6pm check out during the peak season. We offered free parkng for the remainder of the day as well as free beach badges to try to make him happy but he was not satisfied.
Phildelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

I would like to start off by saying that this hotel is in a great location!!! One block to boardwalk and right accross the street from the beach.

When we first arrived at the hotel it was a bit run down but nothing that surprised me because that is what you usually get at most Jersey Shore locations. The lobby was okay but it smelled musty and the floor (carpet )was wet. Still I over-looked this and tried to stay positive. The lady at the front desk was nice enough but you never quite got a very warm feeling from her, she was often short with her answers.

We got the key to our room and I was starting to feel a bit uneasy at this point. When we opened the door the room smelled musty and the carpet in the corner by the window was wet and it smelled of mildew really bad. My daughter now has a rash all over her body that I can't say was caused by the wet carpet but it makes me wonder since she broke out with it one day after we came home.
The bedspreads were old and had a few small holes in them, one of the electrical outlets where the refrig and tv were plugged in hung out of the wall. The bathroom was clean enough but very small not much room to move around.

The pool was okay as well, it was small and took up allot of space in the front of the building where I guess it use to be parking. Parking was tight so you know why the request one car only per room.

All in all I just want to say our stay was not worth the $155.00 a night for the room. I am not sure how many people take these reviews to heart but if you want to have a great Jersey Shore experience spend the extra money and go to Ocean City or Wildwood.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Charlroy Motel? Share your experiences!