“I am a homing pigeon when it comes to the Charlroy” 5 of 5 stars

Charlroy Motel
1601 North Ocean Ave, Seaside Park, NJ 08752   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Seaside Park
A TripAdvisor Member
“I am a homing pigeon when it comes to the Charlroy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2004

Where to begin,,, I have spent summers at the Jersey shore all my life. I began staying at the Charlroy in 1982. The Charlroy has always been a perfect family vacation setting. I believe this is because of the fact that it is family owned. This hotel has always been run by the same family. Charlie & June (who have since retired) were always on hand to chat with you and make sure that you have everything you need. Their niece Cheryl now owns the hotel and she can always be found to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms are the cleanest you will find for a hotel in a shore community. I stay here 2 to 3 times a year during a summer, always one straight week and then a weekend here and there. I will always make the Charlroy my first pick. We have noticed that the hotel has been updating for the past three winters. This is something you dont always see hotels doing since they know the rooms will be rented no matter what. We have seen new air conditioning units through out the hotel, new shower stalls in the bathrooms, pool renovations, etc. My belief is you can not go wrong with this hotel. I hope this review helps you choose the Charlroy!!!!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2004

Stayed at the CharlRoy twice: Summer of 2001 and Spring 2004. Excellent location: right at the end of the boardwalk amusements and across the street from the beach. 2nd floor, ocean view is premium priced and worth it because you get a clear view of the ocean. Other rooms are fine, because you can just walk out the door to see the beach and ocean. Rooms were clean. The big issue with all seasonal resort motels is the bed: Bedsheets were laundered. Bed covers were clean enough (we all know to remove the bed cover, don't we?). Beds were firm, not lumpy. TV, AC, heat, small fridge worked fine. Bathroom was clean; hot water came up quickly. Weekend continental breakfast was good. If you like the Seaside area, you will like the CharlRoy. Yes, I will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2003

I have been going to the Charlroy for three years for mother & daughters vactions. The staff is helpful and courteous, the rooms are clean and ameniable. Our room is always one with a balcony facing the boardwalk and facing the lifeguard office(which is of particular liking for my daughters) The beaches are better in Seaside park than the Heights and I love the pool at the Charlroy. We will be going again in 2004 and we cant wait. This end of the boardwalk is better than the heights and the people are friendlier in the Park. After all, when you get right down to it, the secret is location, location, location. And you get that and more at the Charlroy.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2003

Me and my bf took a trip to Seaside and spent the night at the Charlroy Motel for our anniversary. At first I thought it was a little expensive but from the pictures on the internet (lovely decor, sliding glass windows to a private balcony) I figured it was worth it. Boy was I wrong. Upon entering, I was charged an extra $10 for the room even though they mailed me a confirmation with the total due. Then we entered the room. The walls were cinder block. The sheets had stains on them, there were a ton of flies in the room, our sliding glass doors were a beaten up door that led to a balcony that hasnt been cleaned EVER. The room smelled, we had brown spots on our towels (I could only imagine what that was from) We had people banging on our door at 2 in the morning because the rooms are not marked clearly, and a drunk man screaming outside our window at 3am. I have since sent a letter requesting some money back but they just deleted it. Not recommended at all. I would have been happier camping out on the beach!

disneymom57, Sue, Front Desk Reservations at Charlroy Motel, responded to this review, May 9, 2008
I specifically remember this situation because I was the one who responded to her original e-mail. We are a customer-service oriented business, and there is ALWAYS somebody around to respond to guests' concerns or requests. I was on duty the night this guest checked in, and during my entire shift, I did not see or hear from her and/or her boyfriend. We had absolutely no idea there were any problems until we received an e-mail demanding a refund. We were not given a chance to respond to any of the items cited in this review. Anybody familiar with shore life understands that flies do swarm in at times, and that happened that evening. We did not hear about that. Anybody familiar with laundry understands that linens, especially white linens, will accumulate stains from multiple hot washings in a commercial machine. I confirmed this with professional laundromat attendants. The sliding glass door was a feature this guest interpreted on her own. Nobody else has ever interpreted the back door as a sliding glass door. As far as the cinder block walls--that was a personal taste of hers and should not reflect the overall atmosphere of the motel. Personally, some people like the cinder block walls because it gives a medieval-like feel to the room. Again, we did not hear any complaints from this guest and her boyfriend about anything. It would be very helpful and ethical to let staff know ahead of time of issues so they can be addressed immediately rather than a few weeks later when it is too late to resolve anything. We are sorry if she took this as a negative experience, but we should have been informed before putting up this review. I think it is ironic that "false advertising" was the title of her review because the picture she painted of our motel is indeed false advertising. We have a wonderful reputation here and have multiple regulars to prove it.

Been to Charlroy Motel? Share your experiences!