“Great Family Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Seaside Park
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Great Family Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have been coming to Windjammer for 30 years with my children and now my granddaughter. My grown kids still come down when I go. It is the perfect family vacation place. 1 block from the ocean and bay. They have great rooms and the staff is wonderful and take very good care of you. They have a patio for lunch and their famous happy hour every day. Even the locals come to it! I cannot praise this place enough and I have traveled extensively here in the States and in Europe. Please give them a try - you will not be disappointed. There are a lot of places to stay down here and I have stayed in many, before finding Windjammer. Now I only stay here. I will be back next year - I promise!

Lore Domingo
Scotch Plains, NJ

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The jammer is great. Our family has been going for about 7 yrs and just returned from a second trip this summer. The beach and bay are all within two blocks. Frank, joe, his wife, son Joey, and Kenny keep us coming back. They treat our children 2nd to none. If you stay by the inside pool area you can see the kids all the time and the deck and bar are great. Cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed August 2012
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have had the best time while staying at the Windjammer. I came here and was amazed by the service. The pool is big and is always the right temperature and is only a block from the beach. The staff is very nice and always ready to help. The restaurant is great and does not take long to get a table.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, but I prefer rooms on the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

It was late at night and my son and I needed to sleep after a beautiful day at Island Beach State Park. I couldn't get Trip Advisor to work on my phone for advice, so decided to try staying here. Bad decision - though apparently many people who reviewed it thought it was nice; I think they were staying in a different motel. The ONLY good thing was the location. They said they had no reg rooms, only "suites," & began lowering the price when I thought it too much. I should have bargained harder!! The room was disgusting - old & dirty with trash on the floor, 1 very old and uncomfortable bed that we shared because the pull out couch was just wires under a thin old mattress. The bathroom was ok, but I pity anyone using the kitchenette. If this is really one of the best motels in this place, then I advise you to drive the 20 minutes to Toms River and stay somewhere decent - NOT HERE!

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband grew up coming to Seaside with his parents as a young boy and I am happy to say we are still doing this each July as adults. The Windjammer has become a tradition in our home and I hope it continues for many years to come. The owners work very hard to keep the hotel clean and affordable. It is a Seaside hallmark and our trip wouldn't be the same without it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Succasunna, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife, daugher and i just returned from a relaxing week at The Windjammer, along with some friends and their kids and we had a blast.
We each had an efficiency room that was perfect for what we needed.
The pool is clean and a great size and very refreshing. The beach is a block away and there are not many hotels/motels on the jersey shore that has it's own bar/restuarant with a happy hour starting at 3pm.

Is it old??? Yes, but very clean and what do you want for the jersey shore, The Plaza Hotel?
The owners and staff are very friendly.
The only complaint i have is the older bartender, he's very slow and he tends to talk too much to the other customers especially when you're waiting to order a drink.. .but to avoid that problem, there is a liquor store just across the street, so do what we did - rent the efficiency that has a kitchen and a fridge... .bring your own booze and food and you'll have a great time.

Our friends that we came down with have been coming down or the past few years, but it was my our first time, but i can assure you, we will be back.
We are going to start a tradition to come down every summer, the last week in July.
The kids have so much fun at the beach and/or pool and you are just about 20 blocks or so south of Seaside Heights boardwalk where Wedneday nights is fireworks.

Bring a bike, or rent a bike from down the street.
There is nothing like getting up at 5am and taking a bike ride up the boardwalk to seaside heights, stopping for coffee and just sitting on a bench on the boardwalk while the sun is rising... you feel God sitting next to you.

We brought food and snacks, but a must is to go eat at Surf Taco's just down the street from the Windjamme... and i suggest the Mahi Taco Baja style. It's awesome. The place gets packed but the service is fast.
If you dont want to eat there, do what we did - order a ton of tacos, barritos etc and go back to the Windjammer and sit at one of the tables on the padio by the bar, sit, relax, eat and have a few drinks...

The Windjammer is worth it - you'll go home relaxed!!

Room Tip: Efficiencies near the pool!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seaside Heights, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

There are only 2 reasons to stay at the Windjammer Motor Inn. #1 is it 1 block from a beautiful stretch of white sand beach in Seaside Park. #2 It has a great pool.

This is a family run, family hotel. In July that means lots of little kids everywhere you go. In my experience the kids and parents were having a great time. This is not a good choice for a romantic July weekend.

I have stayed in Seaside Park hotels each of the past 3 summers. The Windjammer had the biggest pool area and the lowest price per night. The hotel is in the shape of a square. The pool is in the center of the square. This is great if you are there on a very windy day.

There is an ice cream shop 1 block north, a liquor store next door and a market ½ block south. There are a few restaurants within walking distance. Island Beach State Park entrance is 1 mile south. You will need transportation if you plan to visit Island Beach State Park.

This hotel does have a restaurant that offers breakfast and lunch. Lunch is served until 6pm so this is a great spot if you need a quick, basic, early dinner. The restaurant also has a full bar and offers happy hour on an outdoor deck in the late afternoon until closing at 8pm. The bar provides some free snack foods during happy hour.

We had a wonderful time and the location is great so you may be wondering why I give the motel such a low over all rating. This motel was clearly built many years ago. The décor is very, very dated. The rooms have wood paneling and the rooms are very, very small. The kitchenette area is tiny. There is no coffee pot. There is a sink, refrigerator, 3 burners (I don’t’ know if they work) and 3-4 small cabinets. The refrigerator is the best part.

The room was clean but has a sour smell that never went away. The AC is units in each room. The AC seemed to cover the scent. The sheets were clean but old and scratchy. The blankets were clean but appeared to be old and had “pilled up.” The carpet was freshly vacuumed but appeared to be old. The bed and the sofa bed were very, very uncomfortable.

All of the hotels in Seaside Park are family establishments. There are no large chains. Most of the hotels were build many, many years ago. The Windjammer fits this description. Many believe that is the charm of the Jersey shore. It is a nice, family run, throwback type place. Seaside Park is not a luxury hotel/ resort type of destination.

If you go, have a very relaxing, Jersey beach vacation.

Room Tip: If you have little kids ask for a pool side room. The pool closes at 8pm so residents don't have...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Windjammer Motor Inn? Share your experiences!