“A good time” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 30 Restaurants in Seaside Park
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Pub, Oyster Bar
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Bum Rogers, spanning five decades, has been a unique, specialty house restaurant and the communal, spirit-lifting watering hole of the indigenous and migrating young and young-at-heart.We, the Bum Rogers Family and staff, continue to be dedicated to the proposition that you came to this place to have a good time, eat heartily, and depart feeling better than before.
Long Valley, New Jersey
“A good time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is a bar all the way. Good bar food Fried calamari, probably nachos nothing fancy. Lively bar crowd with a good bartender at the back bar. Some outdoor tables with a lot of happy families. Parking is hard but not impossible on the weekends.

Visited August 2014

South Plainfield, New Jersey
“Watch your money!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was our second time here this summer and we came to see the band, Rock Bottom, who we really enjoyed last time and had a lot of fun!
We had this one particular bartender who was kinda slick. He took our money which was clearly not tip money! It was on the bar closest to us and our drink. (Many people when they get change back just slip it to the side until they get their next drink)
In a split second, he grabbed the cash and walked away. He thought we didn't notice and when my husband questioned him, he said, "You only had 2 dollars here." WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
We rudely received our money back, as he knew he took it. I spoke with other patrons who said this has happened to them. Also got charged 2 different prices for the same drink; different bartenders. I'm sure the bartenders get tipped well but is it all HONEST??? I am a very generous tipper, BUT DO NOT like to be taken advantage of and RIPPED OFF!!!! We have enough crooks in New Jersey. I actually told the owner Jerry what happened. He was surprised it was this bartender who he's known for a year, has also worked at Tiffany's, and another establishment.
Jerry said he will check the cameras. I wonder if he did? He didn't seem too apologetic.
The place is packed and making lots of cash. We were just 2 patrons.
My family has been in the restaurant business for 50+ years and every patron was always treated with respect and honesty. If there was a wrong, it was made right!

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Best Burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Like burgers? My teenage son's review was "dad, these burgers taste like they were handcrafted by God!!" And mine was just as good. Perfect fries. Large portions, great price!

Free Union, Virginia
“Wish I could give this place no circles”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My friends and I were staying at my place in SSP for a few days, our second time together at the shore. We had been to other places in town, so when we read a superb review of Bum Rogers, we decided to give it a try. What a mistake! We were told we'd have a half-hour wait, but were called earlier, and offered a high table near the bar. We asked to wait for a regular table and were then left outside while people who had come later than we were seated first. We sat at a booth near the bar, and our waitress came by, shaking her long hair all over us -- something she continued to do while serving the rest of the time we were seated. We selected our beverages, appetizer and entrees. One friend selected stuffed shrimp. They were covered with a hard crust of bread crumbs that could barely be penetrated with a knife and fork. Another selected a medley of shrimp/scallops/lobster over pasta. She found a half-eaten shrimp in the bowl! A third ordered scallops which were non-descript and I had fried flounder which was hard and greasy. Two of us asked for sweet potato fries but our plates had white fries instead, When we brought it up to the waitress, she started screaming that she knew, that the kitchen had made a mistake and that she would get them as soon as they were out of the fryer. When she brought the sweet potato fries, she put them -- they were disgusting: no taste except rancid oil -- on the table and rudely asked if we had any other problems. Then she brought the owner over, who asked us "What's your problem?" again -- so we decided to tell him our impression of our food and service. He suggested that our disappointment with our meal was because we wanted everything comped! We left most of the food on the table, took our check and got out of there as fast as we could. My friend paid the check, so I don't know what if anything the owner took off the bill before charging us for the worst meal I have EVER had in Seaside -- and I live there 52 years!

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Massachusetts
“Horrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Went with my family while on vacation July 2014. They advertise clams but when we asked, they said they didn't have any until the next day. Half the menu had a huge white blank paper so selection was limited. Brought appetizer plates for us to share our order - plates and utensils were dirty. The soda tasted like it had a ton of chlorine in it. My husband asked to speak to a manager and was told there was no manager on duty until later that day (we went at lunch) and no one was available to talk to him. He canceled his order completely. My son's and I kept our orders - mine and 1 of my son's meal was "good". My other son's meal was undercooked. When we were leaving my husband noticed a man now at the hostess desk and asked him if they could talk outside. The man came outside and when my husband tried to explain our ordeal, he got lout, rude and mean. Basically blaming my husband for complaining - if there was no manager for us to speak with, how did this man (don't know if he was the owner or a manger) already know about the entire situation and come out aggressively when asked if he could talk to us? If he was someone who cared about his customers, he should have come to our table and tried to make things right. Instead he ignored the situation until my husband asked to talk to him and then wouldn't accept any responsibility for any of the incidents that happened. Completely disgusted. Would NEVER go there again and would NEVER recommend it to anyone.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
oceanjerry, General Manager at Bum Rogers, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Wow, I have never seen such a one sided negative review that showed a complete disregard for the facts. I do apologize for the utensils, but please understand that they are double washed in a Ecolab commercial dishwasher, which is the industry standard and we use the proper pre-soak, rinse, and sanitizing agents.

Let's start with the menu. Our menu is 6 pages long with over 100 choices. The " huge white blank, paper" you refer to is for daily specials which after I meet with the chef, we compile and put in for dinner service.

We advertise clams, and we had, at that time, steamer calms (Ipswich clams), steamed little neck clams, clams in garlic and white wine, drunken clams, and clams casino. Your husband asked for fried clam strips, which although they are NOT on the menu, we sometimes offer as a special. Your husband became rude and irate at that time.

There is always at least one manager on the premises and most times two or three. My partner immediately came to the front to speak to you as soon as he was aware of a problem.

We try to maintain the highest of standards and again, if we disappointed you, I am truly sorry,. but please state the facts as they happened.