“'bummed' out !” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 30 Restaurants in Seaside Park
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Pub, Oyster Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Bum Rogers, spanning five decades, has been a unique, specialty house restaurant and the communal, spirit-lifting watering hole of the indigenous and migrating young and young-at-heart.We, the Bum Rogers Family and staff, continue to be dedicated to the proposition that you came to this place to have a good time, eat heartily, and depart feeling better than before.
Toms River, New Jersey
“'bummed' out !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Food was okay - but for the quality/quanity over priced. asked for a subsitutation for the 'penne' (NOT) with soft shelled crabs ..was told okay a baked potato? that'll be $3 extra !special on menu stated 'crab cake w/french fries and coleslaw, when meal arrived no cole slaw, when asked about it - 'oh we don't have coleslaw today'! definately a NO FRILLS 'joint' and there 'housekeeping' could improve. there are more restaurants in the area that are far better !we'll never return - and we're locals !

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
oceanjerry, Owner at Bum Rogers, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Your review of the restaurant from last summer is spot on, but Bum Rogers is under new ownership and management now and has been completely remodeled. We hope you come back this summer and see the changes, including the clean, new bathrooms.

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Poor Service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Made a reservation for 6:30, and we were not seated until 7:30 after numerous complaints to the hostess. We asked to speak with the manager/owner of the restaurant and were told that we would not be able to see them - nor would we be given a discount. The hostess cursed in front of us many times (most of the time, she was complaining about her Asian coworker (racist remarks) or the guests that were waiting to be seated).

Once we were finally seated, the waitress proceeded to spend much of her evening with a table of frat boys. She bought them a pitcher of beer and a round of shots and paid very little attention to our party of 10. She received no tip.

The food was decent but way overpriced, and it definitely wasn't worth the wait or the treatment we received. We will not be returning and will be telling everyone we know to avoid this place.

Visited July 2012
Toms River, New Jersey
“Beware Of The Filfth!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Six of us went to Bum Rogers in Seaside Park after the beach for a beer and hamburger. The mistake we made was to order the food before we used their bathroom. First of all let me point out this is a dark bar. That should be the first clue. Second, we proceeded to use the bathroom. The bathroom door was caked with disgusting greasy grime and dirt. It had to have been 1/4" thick. The bathroom was just as disgusting. Besides that, there was no soap to wash your filfthy hands after all that dirt. My question is, "How does the staff who cooks your food clean their hands after using the toilet and touching that door?"

Service was also terrible. The waitress had a real bad attitude and took forever for our drinks.

We did eat the burgers but I was definitely afraid we would all wind up in the ER later that night. Fortunately, we did not. BEWARE!!!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Browns Mills, New Jersey
“Truly upsetting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Today, was my first visit to Bum Rogers and it certainly wasn't a good experience. The atmosphere is divey, but I was willing to overlook that. The food mistakes with the food and service were hard to overlook. I ordered the Garlic Crab appetizer, it was pretty good. My entree was the Tuna Dijionaise $19. Let me tell you, I've never complained in a restaurant but this dish forced my hand! The Tuna was served over pasta with a cream sauce. The sauce itself was very thin and puddled on the bottom of the dish, not coating the pasta at all and it wasn't tasty. But, the fish was the biggest offender. It was sour and tasted completely off. I just couldn't eat it at all! So, I waited for the server to let her know and when she came over I told her "I don't like how this tastes." And her response was, "Well, there isn't anything I can do about that. Would you like a box." To which I replied, "No" (Are you kidding!!!). "Well, I'll just take it away." 15 minutes later, she came back with it boxed. "I thought I'd pack it up anyway." Ugh. Why the hell would I want it? At this point, I was upset. I couldn't believe that they would let me leave unhappy without trying to make things right! I thought about talking to someone else but I just wanted to get out of there. Almost $80 for two people, the food should have been edible! I went online when I got home to see if I could contact someone thru their website but I can't even get on there. I shouldn't be shocked. I'm sure they know how bad their food is and don't want to hear about it anymore. I will never be back!

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Franklin Park, New Jersey
“Waitress was On the Ball!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We weren't treated very well when we first arrived but once seated, the waitress who took care of us was a pro! We got two orders of crab and it was a lot of work to open them all but they were absolutely delicious! The little one wanted pizza and we thought she'd just get a slice or two but instead was served a whole thin-crust pizza. It made for a fun evening and our waitress was spectacular. She was by our table every five minutes checking on us and never let our glasses get empty.

Visited June 2012